The Philadelphia 76ers Thread: Where Simmons, yet again, guards fours

Utley

2 minutes ago, EaglesFan5-36-81 said:

The clippers want cap space and draft capital. No chance they went for a Fultz and no Miami pick deal. Fultz also counts more against the cap than Shamet. They probably didnt want him.

Tobias Harris is one of the more underrated players in the league, is a borderline all star caliber player who is skilled and versatile offensively, and is at least a decent defender. Hes absolutely one of the better guys to be a part of a core 4 in the NBA, is arguably the best stretch 4 in the NBA right now (with KP and Love out) and is a top 30 player in the league. He slots in as a perfect fit on the roster, and if guys like Patrick Beverly and Wes Matthews are bought out, they could replenish the bench depth. 

I agree with everything you said regarding Harris...was just wishful thinking on my part. 

If they bring back both Butler and Harris, are they willing to pay that ridiculous luxury tax with a Simmons extension due this summer as well?

If they are, then they could be sitting very pretty in July.  If Kawhi bolts, then Toronto is sunk.  If Kyrie bolts, then Boston is sunk.  Milwaukee has a lot of free agents.  If just 1 of them bolts, then they take a big hit.  That would leave Philadelphia as the clear, easy favorite in the East (barring a Knicks' miracle).

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

If they bring back both Butler and Harris, are they willing to pay that ridiculous luxury tax with a Simmons extension due this summer as well?

If they are, then they could be sitting very pretty in July.  If Kawhi bolts, then Toronto is sunk.  If Kyrie bolts, then Boston is sunk.  Milwaukee has a lot of free agents.  If just 1 of them bolts, then they take a big hit.  That would leave Philadelphia as the clear, easy favorite in the East (barring a Knicks' miracle).

I won't believe it until it actually happens with the Knicks. They're the Cleveland Browns of the NBA

Orlando and Atlanta in on Fultz, cant see what Atlanta would give up but if Orlando would be willing to send us Terrance Ross that's a deal that works out for both parties. They get a young PG who they've been looking for, and in Ross we get an athletic wing who can score off the bench and whose deal expires after the season. Allowing us to re-sign Butler and Harris to max deals.

Dream scenario for me

Sixers trade Fultz to Orlando for Terrence Ross.

Patrick Beverley bought out and signs for veteran minimum

Wesley Matthews bought out and signs for veteran minimum

Waive Malachai Richardson

Simmons / Beverley /McConnell

Reddick / Ross /Milton (2W)

Butler / Matthews /Korkmaz / Highsmith (2W)

Harris / Scott / Bolden

Embiid / Marjanovic / Johnson / Patton (Inj)

So my initial response to the Clippers trade was that we screwed up. While Harris is nice and gives us the second best Starting 5 in the league, it also continues to highlight our biggest weakness; a lack of depth. Especially since we traded WaLuigi (Shamet). We're placing a lot of faith in TJ, Kelle, and Zaire. However, more and more people started showing me how this could truly make sense. Someone on Reddit produced the numbers that the 6ers could retain Harris and Butler on Max/Near Max deals. And then they also mentioned that Wes Matthews and Ryan Anderson are possible buyout candidates from other teams. While Anderson doesn't really sale me because we have a lot og big depth, the prospect of Matthews as Wing Depth is exciting.

39 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

So my initial response to the Clippers trade was that we screwed up. While Harris is nice and gives us the second best Starting 5 in the league, it also continues to highlight our biggest weakness; a lack of depth. Especially since we traded WaLuigi (Shamet). We're placing a lot of faith in TJ, Kelle, and Zaire. However, more and more people started showing me how this could truly make sense. Someone on Reddit produced the numbers that the 6ers could retain Harris and Butler on Max/Near Max deals. And then they also mentioned that Wes Matthews and Ryan Anderson are possible buyout candidates from other teams. While Anderson doesn't really sale me because we have a lot og big depth, the prospect of Matthews as Wing Depth is exciting.

I'm hoping they go after Wayne Ellington. We could use the shooting 

12 hours ago, EaglesFan5-36-81 said:

Orlando and Atlanta in on Fultz, cant see what Atlanta would give up but if Orlando would be willing to send us Terrance Ross that's a deal that works out for both parties. They get a young PG who they've been looking for, and in Ross we get an athletic wing who can score off the bench and whose deal expires after the season. Allowing us to re-sign Butler and Harris to max deals.

All depends on if Clifford and the FO want to make a run at the playoffs and be buyers, or if they want to tank and be sellers. I just hope they choose something instead of sitting here in limbo. Feels like we have no direction. If we do trade Ross I’ll really miss him. He is a great defender.