Baker Mayfield vs Lamar Jackson

patriotsheatyan

Baker Mayfield vs Lamar Jackson  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Baker Mayfield vs Lamar Jackson

• Mayfield
    • Jackson

Just now, BaltimoreTerp said:

Lol I know that's what I was referencing. Officially been on this forum long enough to see its GOAT meme get recycled as a straight-faced line of argument. 

I haven't seen Quinn vs. Anderson 2.0 from 2008 yet. We had a mod banned and other multiple members in the Browns forum. It came close to Armageddon there. I'm sure you remember it well.

10 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think the Chargers and Bengal games fall into that category last year, defense and special teams TDs. The Ravens offense actually scored more with Flacco as starter but the team scored more with Lamar as the starter.

You need to also control for number of drives per game.  

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

That's a different metric. Offensive points per game wouldn't include that, obviously.

Fair, and right.  I just think Points-per-drive is very important to consider when comparing offensive production as there was a material "shortening" of the game when Lamar took over due to the offense chewing up clock and consistently dominating ToP/snap count. 

5 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

can already hear the outcry from Browns fans when LJ inevitably is voted into the top 50 of NFL top 100 players by fellow athletes and Mayfield is nowhere to be found.

Yeah I don't think that is Browns' fans end goal, I don't care about that anyway.

Jackson is certainly most valuable to his team of probably any QB. They probably only would have beaten the Dolphins so far without Jackson. His health is extremely important to the Ravens success, they are playing Madden on offense and getting first downs with the QBs legs. No one else on their roster would keep drives going like that nor do they have the passing ability to do it with their arm.

10 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think the Chargers and Bengal games fall into that category last year, defense and special teams TDs. The Ravens offense actually scored more with Flacco as starter but the team scored more with Lamar as the starter.

I think an underrated part of that stat is that when Lamar took over at QB, our TOP skyrocketed to the best in the league, which allowed an already great defense to play more fresh, which boosted their production.

2 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Fair, and right.  I just think Points-per-drive is very important to consider when comparing offensive production as there was a material "shortening" of the game when Lamar took over due to the offense chewing up clock and consistently dominating ToP/snap count. 

Won't argue that or look up the numbers, this was just in reference to a Ravens fan who said offensive points per game.

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

That's a different metric. Offensive points per game wouldn't include that, obviously.

That's my preferred metric (points per drive) and has been since well before Lamar Jackson came into the league. You don't give an offense credit for a pick6 or fumble6, but when those things happen you get fewer offensive drives so you need to account for that. Obviously it's not perfect, if a pick is returned to the 1, the offense gets those 7 points. But it gets way closer than points per game or other metrics. 

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 3

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think an underrated part of that stat is that when Lamar took over at QB, our TOP skyrocketed to the best in the league, which allowed an already great defense to play more fresh, which boosted their production.

Well yeah, with the threat of Jackson that opens up a lot running and passing. It's basically a cheat code.

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

That's my preferred metric and has been since well before Lamar Jackson came into the league. You don't give an offense credit for a pick6 or fumble6, but when those things happen you get fewer offensive drives so you need to account for that. Obviously it's not perfect, if a pick is returned to the 1, the offense gets those 7 points. But it gets way closer than points per game or other metrics. 

Wasn't my metric of choice, just the one that I corrected. I personally like yards per play for offense and defense even though it doesn't take points into consideration but there are more advanced metrics out there I'm old school and those stats are easy to find and free.

54 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

can already hear the outcry from Browns fans when LJ inevitably is voted into the top 50 of NFL top 100 players by fellow athletes and Mayfield is nowhere to be found.

Actually that would be the least of my concerns.