Week 2 GDT

Matts4313

26 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

Melvin Gordon

Derwin James

Russell Okung

Hunter Henry

All major key players who hopefully will be back around midseason.

The Chargers are loaded and certainly primed for Super Bowl contention of those guys all come back in a reasonable amount of time.

They will get Michael Davis back their #2 CB, Perryman their starting LB and 1st 2 draft picks havent played much. Chargers tend to very slowly transition in their rookies. 

3 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

So there was still some real ugly football again today.

Any thoughts about this being the end of preseason since the teams no longer use preseason for preseason?

I hope things clean up a bit next week.

BTW, the refs are way behind the players in being ready.

Exactly what it is. Teams who played more starters during preseason are starting off rolling (SF, KC, BAL) teams who didnt, their starting units are building that synergy. Now more than ever, with so many teams playing less starters in preseason, i dont put much stock into first 4 weeks. Week 5, remove your mask and show me who ya are.

10 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Exactly what it is. Teams who played more starters during preseason are starting off rolling (SF, KC, BAL) teams who didnt, their starting units are building that synergy. Now more than ever, with so many teams playing less starters in preseason, i dont put much stock into first 4 weeks. Week 5, remove your mask and show me who ya are.

But I thought Preseason games were supposed to be meaningless, should be cut in 1/2, done away with? Isnt that the consensus by the masses? You don't enjoy Teams using September as thier as new August??

I hate to think what the beginning of the seasons will look like if 2 Preseason gms becomes the norm with Starters baring playing in those too. 🤯

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Reviews aren't the saving grace we thought. This play was reviewed and determined to NOT be DPI:

The defender made a play on the ball. He has just as much of a right to play the ball in the air as the offensive player. There was some contact early but he was going for the ball. 

I support these small, bang bang plays not getting reversed or adding flags. It's not what the rule was meant for 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

But I thought Preseason games were supposed to be meaningless, should be cut in 1/2, done away with? Isnt that the consensus by the masses? You don't enjoy Teams using September as thier as new August??

I hate to think what the beginning of the seasons will look like if 2 Preseason gms becomes the norm with Starters baring playing in those too. 🤯

Im fine with getting rid of 2 preseason games if you add 2 regular season games. This way, yes the first 4 weeks count. But less urgency and lets teams find that grove first couple weeks. I say keep 4 preseason games if you extend amount of plays allowed on active roster to 60.

1 hour ago, Bearerofnews said:

KC didn't "play more starters" during preseason.

3 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

I saw their starters playing snaps, in multiple games. Most all their starters. I know a team like the Chargers for example had more than a handful of starters, maybe 2 handfuls not play a single snap.

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/stats?type=pre

None more than average and a lot of starters didn't play much at all. Especially the 4th game where none played.

1 hour ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/stats?type=pre

None more than average and a lot of starters didn't play much at all. Especially the 4th game where none played.

I know not more than avg. But more than 0 snaps.  I cant think of a healthy KC player i didnt see take multiple snaps in atleast 2 of 4 games. I think quite a few teams have multiple key starters take 0 snaps all preseason. Means starting units had 0 time together in game action. First couple weeks is them getting that traction. 

8 hours ago, N4L said:

The defender made a play on the ball. He has just as much of a right to play the ball in the air as the offensive player. There was some contact early but he was going for the ball. 

I support these small, bang bang plays not getting reversed or adding flags. It's not what the rule was meant for 

Yeah I tend to agree with this.

19 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Wrong. The conversion rate is historically below 50% but you are probably going off of 2018 only.

• If you go with the run the ball into the line play call (he did) it probably drops to about 30%
  • Factor in that the Jax line is a mess without Robinson and the Texans have some giant people up front and now you are somewhere around 25%

The extra point is like 99.5% or better. You keep your team alive there.

The odds at 1 yard are something like 70% (using 4th and goal from the 1 numbers)

The play they ran got a bit more than the 1 yard. Too bad they needed 2.

Fournette did not even get the Testaverde Helmet TD.

Everything about that call was pathetic

I didn't say 50%. I said 50% of the conversion rate of a PAT. The PAT is not a given either. Since it moved back 2015, 2016 and 2018 the 2pt conversion rate was greater than 50% of the PAT conversion rate. 2017 was slightly less.

Further if you look at the numbers it shows that teams generally aren't calling 2 pt conversion plays correctly. They call too many pass plays. they should be calling more run plays. If they follow that the conversion rate would increase. That is the conversion rate of runs on 2pt is way higher than your 30% guess. It's actually over 60%

PAT is not 99.5% unless you haven't watched football in 4 years. It's actually 94%.

https://www.boydsbets.com/nfl-two-point-conversion-success-rate/

https://rileykolstefootball.com/2018/07/08/two-point-study/

This is why you should actually look at the numbers and just guess.