Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Except he didn't.

Think you are mincing words.

“I already know what exactly I need to work on and improve going forward,” Mayfield said.” (Emphasis added)

“I do not need somebody to teach me how to do a three-step drop,” Mayfield said. “I can look at film and be critical of myself."

https://www.beaconjournal.com/sports/20191227/browns-quarterback-baker-mayfield-realizes-fulfilling-combine-vow-will-require-more-offseason-work

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

Think you are mincing words.

“I already know what exactly I need to work on and improve going forward,” Mayfield said.” (Emphasis added)

“I do not need somebody to teach me how to do a three-step drop,” Mayfield said. “I can look at film and be critical of myself."

https://www.beaconjournal.com/sports/20191227/browns-quarterback-baker-mayfield-realizes-fulfilling-combine-vow-will-require-more-offseason-work

The very next sentence from the one you posted says: “I do not need somebody to teach me how to do a three-step drop,” Mayfield said. “I can look at film and be critical of myself. Throughout this process, I have had people help me out along the way and try and take things from different people. Anytime I am around somebody, I ask questions. Do not act like I have it all figured out.

So... you obviously read that statement and still said " he basically said that he "has it all figured out on his own".

Hmmmmmm.... Weird that you only hear part of what he says. This is why I don't like politics they do the exact same thing. The agenda stuff is annoying.

Could he benefit from a private tutor? Maybe, it certainly couldn't hurt. Is it necessary with his connections? Probably not. But hey, if it helps your agenda to draw conclusions from a snip-it and that makes you feel better have at it. You probably will get called out on it from time to time though, especially if you provide the link.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

So... you obviously read that statement and still said " he basically said that he "has it all figured out on his own".

I seized on what he said first, “I do not need somebody to teach me how to do a three-step drop,” since he apparently is wrong about that based on last year's performance and the stats.

And, “I can look at film and be critical of myself", as an indication that he believes he is capable of fixing what ails his game, is not exactly wide open to help from other sources and likely just doesn't know what he doesn't know .

I actually read the "Do not act like I have it all figured out" statement for what it was; namely: A statement directed toward someone else(s) probably intended to preempt  or deflect criticism of his previously announced positions.

14 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I seized on what he said first, “I do not need somebody to teach me how to do a three-step drop,” since he apparently is wrong about that based on last year's performance and the stats.

And, “I can look at film and be critical of myself", as an indication that he believes he is capable of fixing what ails his game, is not exactly wide open to help from other sources and likely just doesn't know what he doesn't know .

I actually read the "Do not act like I have it all figured out" statement for what it was; namely: A statement directed toward someone else(s) probably intended to preempt  or deflect criticism of his previously announced positions.

Yeah you're still drawing conclusions from partial statements that support your feelings. He certainly doesn't need help with a 3 step drop, he is in the NFL. His point was he doesn't need to start from the ground up as it would be a waste of time. So no, he doesn't need a QB tutor. As he stated he has people to help him with the specifics of the position along with coaches who the Browns give him to help out.

On 2/20/2020 at 10:56 PM, Thomas5737 said:

The very next sentence from the one you posted says: “I do not need somebody to teach me how to do a three-step drop,” Mayfield said. “I can look at film and be critical of myself. Throughout this process, I have had people help me out along the way and try and take things from different people. Anytime I am around somebody, I ask questions. Do not act like I have it all figured out.

Come on man. Stop it.

After someone says something, hears their own words out loud, and then feels as if their words may come off to people in ways that can reflect negatively back on themselves, there's a basic thing in human communication where people then add statements/words after their originally express true feeling to control potential negative reactions to the first thing they said.

During that presser, it was so very clear that the phrasing about "do not act like I have it all figured out" was added because he's smart and astute and by listening to his previous words he could hear that they could sound as if he believes "he has it all figured out."

His statements about QB training as well as his past attitudes and behaviors suggest that his original words are more telling of how he truly feels relative to the corrective phrasing he added to control reaction to his original attitude.

Selectively listening and giving weight to the Baker's statement reaction control phrasing overlooks the context of that press conference, how he delivered those statements, his expressed beliefs to Ryan Lindley and previous coaches, his past expressed attitudes, as well as basic elements of persuasive human communication.

There are words/phrases stated by people about their beliefs and then there are words/phrases stated by people about their beliefs. Which words/phrases actually reflect a person's true attitudes and beliefs is a function of various aspect of communication and communication context.

Baker is mostly a person that feels as if he "has it all figured out" in terms of what "has it all figured out" means in the general sense. That applies to his past beliefs and approaches to QB, skills, and athletic development as well as a wide-variety of other beliefs he has about things (i.e., how to interact in press conferences, or call out teammates in the media).

The Good news is we have coaches that seek to keep Baker accountable, and Baker is going to face a fork in the road regarding what his career will become. His backs against the wall, and he has the ability to adapt and grow as a player and human being.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

His point was he doesn't need to start from the ground up as it would be a waste of time.

Hahaha...talk about drawing conclusions.

Look pal, if you want to see the Mayfield glass as half full, go right ahead.

I am in a wait-and-see mode.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Come on man. Stop it.

After someone says something, hears their own words out loud, and then feels as if their words may come off to people in ways that can reflect negatively back on themselves, there's a basic thing in human communication where people then add statements/words after their originally express true feeling to control potential negative reactions to the first thing they said.

During that presser, it was so very clear that the phrasing about "do not act like I have it all figured out" was added because he's smart and astute and by listening to his previous words he could hear that they could sound as if he believes "he has it all figured out."

His statements about QB training as well as his past attitudes and behaviors suggest that his original words are more telling of how he truly feels relative to the corrective phrasing he added to control reaction to his original attitude.

Selectively listening and giving weight to the Baker's statement reaction control phrasing overlooks the context of that press conference, how he delivered those statements, his expressed beliefs to Ryan Lindley and previous coaches, his past expressed attitudes, as well as basic elements of persuasive human communication.

There are words/phrases stated by people about their beliefs and then there are words/phrases stated by people about their beliefs. Which words/phrases actually reflect a person's true attitudes and beliefs is a function of various aspect of communication and communication context.

Baker is mostly a person that feels as if he "has it all figured out" in terms of what "has it all figured out" means in the general sense. That applies to his past beliefs and approaches to QB, skills, and athletic development as well as a wide-variety of other beliefs he has about things (i.e., how to interact in press conferences, or call out teammates in the media).

The Good news is we have coaches that seek to keep Baker accountable, and Baker is going to face a fork in the road regarding what his career will become. His backs against the wall, and he has the ability to adapt and grow as a player and human being.

A lot of words back at you.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bruceb said:

I'm happy with Mayfield because he is the most talented QB we have had in my lifetime and he isn't a spaz. Sure, that isn't everything it takes to be great but it's way more than we have had since most of the people here have been alive. I'll be optimistic because while he has flaws everything is fixable. He doesn't make errant throws into the ground or 10 yards out of bounds even if he has immediate pressure. He takes some chances that aren't smart at times trying to get something going or trying to get his team back in the game but hopefully there will be a time where our offense clicks and we don't fall behind so often.

We're all in wait and see mode but he has the ability and QB mentality to be successful. It doesn't guarantee anything but if I were a betting man, and maybe I am, my money is on him having a successful career.

I see no reason for me to make up stuff to try to discredit him like some do. I'll even call those people out who say he isn't working hard enough, doesn't care enough, or refuses coaching because there are no indications that any of that is true. Those are conclusions people come to on their own because they didn't like him as a draft pick and a part of them really wants to be right and while we all root for him and the Browns the "I told you so" remains in their heads and they remind us whenever they can.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, bruceb said:

I mean, that goes without saying. You'd be a complete idiot to want to move on from him after just one year, given the QB-hell we've been in for the last 20 years.

What do you believe? Don't be on the fence ready to pounce on whatever side looks right when the time comes.

• Like 1