Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

Steelers and Tomlin know how to handle a young QB. Steelers ran in 36x I believe and they had a defensive touchdown. Let’s not act like that tryout QB was the reason they won the game. He played “let’s not screw it up” for the defense and the run game. 

Why wouldn't that work for us?  And with a better QB?

• Like 1

To follow up. I believe 6 out of Baker's 11 INTs have been off tipped passes off the WRs hands.

I am fully aware that his ball placement sometimes isn't great. But NOBODY outside of Jarvis vs. Ravens has been doing him any favors. They are tough catches but as a NFL starting WR, you have to catch it. At least not smack it straight up in the air into the defenses hands for easy INTs.

Especially OBJ. The dude in the past 2 games has had 4 passes hit right off his hands on out routes. For somebody with 'the greatest hands ever' he has to make those catches. He dropped 2 first down passes yesterday on 3rd down.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

To follow up. I believe 6 out of Baker's 11 INTs have been off tipped passes off the WRs hands.

Heard one of the PFF guys say they had 4 officially classified as tipped off a Offensive Players hands; Football Outsiders guy has it as 5.

Beckham needs to get his eyes back to the QB quicker and more focus out of the break instead of focusing on routes in la la land. Baker of course needs to be more accurate and has had a tendency even going back to last year of leaving balls inside on out breaking routes.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Heard one of the PFF guys say they had 4 officially classified as tipped off a Offensive Players hands; Football Outsiders guy has it as 5.

Beckham needs to get his eyes back to the QB quicker and more focus out of the break instead of focusing on routes in la la land. Baker of course needs to be more accurate and has had a tendency even going back to last year of leaving balls inside on out breaking routes.

Both INTs yesterday were off Jarvis/Hilliard. Callaway last game has a pick off his hands in the endzone. OBJ in week 1 in the middle of the field hit right off his hands against TEN. That's 4 right off the top of my head.

He has 2 INTs on slants that 1 was the result of Jarvis stopping mid route because he didn't want to get hit and the other yesterday where our own players ran into each other for a wide open INT. So that's 2 more.

Point being, Baker has probably 4-5 INTs this year if I were to go back and look that were just a result of a bad pass. Richard Sherman last week was a bad pass and the 2 against the Titans were bad passes trying to force downfield. It's not like he's throwing a bunch of picks because of bad reads, throwing into double coverage or DBs jumping routes. Over half of his INTs are largely the WRs fault.

• Like 1

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Both INTs yesterday were off Jarvis/Hilliard. Callaway last game has a pick off his hands in the endzone. OBJ in week 1 in the middle of the field hit right off his hands against TEN. That's 4 right off the top of my head.

He has 2 INTs on slants that 1 was the result of Jarvis stopping mid route because he didn't want to get hit and the other yesterday where our own players ran into each other for a wide open INT. So that's 2 more.

Point being, Baker has probably 4-5 INTs this year if I were to go back and look that were just a result of a bad pass. Richard Sherman last week was a bad pass and the 2 against the Titans were bad passes trying to force downfield. It's not like he's throwing a bunch of picks because of bad reads, throwing into double coverage or DBs jumping routes. Over half of his INTs are largely the WRs fault.

The Jarvis one yesterday is not is classified the same way as the Callaway and Hilliard one.

And yes, the point that not all the INTs are on Baker is a valid one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

The Jarvis one yesterday is not is classified the same way as the Callaway and Hilliard one.

Yeah, the Jarvis one is the only one from yesterday that I'd say was mostly Baker's fault as he shouldn't have even attempted that throw in the first place.

• Like 1

Just now, DawgX said:

Yeah, the Jarvis one is the only one from yesterday that I'd say was mostly Baker's fault as he shouldn't have even attempted that throw in the first place.

It’s just crazy because 9/10 that’s either a catch or an incompletion.

Every tipped pass has seemingly landed in a defender’s hands.

5 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I guess I'm just annoyed how 

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

Probably not, but still knock the dam ball down or catch it. It just crazy coincidentally that the majority of his passes magically get knocked straight up into the air right at a defender lol

It might actually be because of how hard he throws everything

5 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Yeah, Baker has been incredibly unlucky in that regard. Not to say he hasn't struggled, but his play isn't as bad as his stats indicate. His critics love highlighting the number of INTs he has while completely ignoring context.

And that's what's frustrating. Callaway catches that ball and it's a close 1 possession game in the 2nd quarter. Hilliard catches that pass and it's a likely 1st down on a potential game winning drive.

It's the timing of all the interceptions that hurts the most because they all happen right when we need momentum or are about to take control. Instead they either end games or completely deflate the offense for the rest of the game. After Callaways and Jarvis' tipped INTs both the offense never looked the same for the rest of either game

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

the other yesterday where our own players ran into each other for a wide open INT. So that's 2 more.

They didn't run into each other, the LB trying to stay with Landry, I think it was, ran straight into OBJ and actually landed on his keister after the collision.

https://www.seahawks.com/video/2019-week-6-tre-flowers-picks-off-baker-mayfield

Video of the play, you'll see the receivers didn't appear to touch but the LB at 4 seconds collides with OBJ with the ball in the air and that should have 100% been DPI.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

They didn't run into each other, the LB trying to stay with Landry, I think it was, ran straight into OBJ and actually landed on his keister after the collision.

https://www.seahawks.com/video/2019-week-6-tre-flowers-picks-off-baker-mayfield

Video of the play, you'll see the receivers didn't appear to touch but the LB at 4 seconds collides with OBJ with the ball in the air and that should have 100% been DPI.

Soooo another blown call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

And that's what's frustrating. Callaway catches that ball and it's a close 1 possession game in the 2nd quarter. Hilliard catches that pass and it's a likely 1st down on a potential game winning drive.

It's the timing of all the interceptions that hurts the most because they all happen right when we need momentum or are about to take control. Instead they either end games or completely deflate the offense for the rest of the game. After Callaways and Jarvis' tipped INTs both the offense never looked the same for the rest of either game

Yup. If we can fix the mistakes then we'll be alright - but that's been the common theme of the season: shooting ourselves in the foot over and over again. We totally got outplayed against the 49ers, but if Callaway makes that catch for the TD then who knows what happens after that - all of a sudden it's likely 14-10 going into half instead of 21-3. And yesterday we played well at times but we kept hurting ourselves and we weren't able to overcome it.

We've seen how well this team is capable of playing, so that's why I haven't given up on this season. But we absolutely must stop with this self-inflicted nonsense that we seem to commit every week.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Yup. If we can fix the mistakes then we'll be alright - but that's been the common theme of the season: shooting ourselves in the foot over and over again. We totally got outplayed against the 49ers, but if Callaway makes that catch for the TD then who knows what happens after that - all of a sudden it's likely 14-10 going into half instead of 21-3. And yesterday we played well at times but we kept hurting ourselves and we weren't able to overcome it.

We've seen how well this team is capable of playing, so that's why I haven't given up on this season. But we absolutely must stop with this self-inflicted nonsense that we seem to commit every week.

Not only with the mistakes but it seems like this team is not at all capable of overcoming the mistakes when they make them. They can't bounce back and everything just sort of snowballs.

As soon as that first turnover happened and SEA got the ball in our own territory I told a friend "want to see what a turning point in a game looks like because your watching one" and sure enough the Seahawks rattled off a bunch of unanswered points followed by more turnovers.

It's like clockwork

• Like 1

7 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Why wouldn't that work for us?  And with a better QB?

It almost certainly would.

Kitchens seems to be over-thinking things and trying to make Mayfield something that he is not.

Mayfield is a scheme QB; he isn't physically gifted like Mahomes or Russell or mentally gifted like Brady or Brees.

Keeping things simple would help him immensely.

Trying to make him a hero will not work.

• Like 1