Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

it prolly would work for us. I dont know why we are not a run first offense.

Part of me thinks it's Freddie wanting to prove the critics wrong that he wasn't a bad hire as a HC and/or that he can call the plays as well as being a first time HC. 

I think we should have leaned heavily on Chubb and slowly worked in the passing game since Jarvis / OBJ didn't play in any off season games and not having Higgins / Calloway. Instead it seems we want to force passes when we don't have to. I think the game plan overall has been alright (getting better at least), but I'm worried I'm not really seeing adjustments made when things get tough for Baker / our offense. Just a bit better performances from our offense and we could have beat the Rams and Seahawks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

They didn't run into each other, the LB trying to stay with Landry, I think it was, ran straight into OBJ and actually landed on his keister after the collision.

https://www.seahawks.com/video/2019-week-6-tre-flowers-picks-off-baker-mayfield

Video of the play, you'll see the receivers didn't appear to touch but the LB at 4 seconds collides with OBJ with the ball in the air and that should have 100% been DPI.

Thanks for the video, I honestly wasn’t sure what happened with that play. Example one million of how you need to take things with context. Pure stats say Mayfield got an interception. Reality says his wr got stonewalled. 

20 hours ago, Don Roshi said:

I was fine with taking either Baker or Sam before the draft.

Baker was the correct choice though. I don't give a ish how old Darnold is. That's the most asinine argument you could make about drafting a QB (unless talking about Weeden). I also don't care how good Darnold's stats look. He'll never be able to make the throws that Baker is able to make. Go big or go home. Baker will be fine. His struggles this season will be good for him long term.

On the off chance that Baker doesn't become a consistently good QB, he will still have been a better pick than Darnold.

The better pick will have been whoever the better player ends up being. Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield. Whichever one ends up best will have been a better pick than the others.

To say that if Baker ends up not being a consistently good QB, that he will still have been a better pick makes no sense, unless you are also saying that all three of the guys will be even worse.

There isn’t a throw Mayfield makes that Darnold can’t. They can both make all the throws. They both have functional athleticism.

Age does matter, of course it does. If a guy has two and a bit years on the other, that’s two and a bit years of projected development to consider. That being said, I agree with this part of it... just give me the better QB. I don’t care if he’s 21 or 41.

The problems right now with Baker are stemming from a lack of comfort in the pocket. Causing erratic pocket navigation, bad decision making, and bad footwork which is resulting in inaccurate ball placement.

The best thing we could do right now for him is trade for Trent Williams or someone like that. And keep focusing on running the team through Nick Chubb, well designed screens and quick hitters.

Edited by Aztec Hammer

On the chemistry between Mayfield and WR Rashard Higgins:

“I think with Hig, it is the comfort of knowing that he is going to be there really where he is supposed to be. Some of the comfort level, a quarterback sometimes needs is just knowing you are going to be there and then when you are there, you are catching the ball because then your room for error increases playing quarterback. I think Higs has always given whomever the quarterback is – Higs played pretty good the year before last, too when we came in. I think whoever the quarterback is he kind of gives them that comfort level.”

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/10/freddie-kitchens-discusses-rashard-higgins-in-tuesday-press-conference-transcript.html

One of th issues of no having hollywood out there, our guys need to be on the spot, at the right time, OBJ isnt doing that imo, Baker is throwing before he gets there at times. 

13 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

The better pick will have been whoever the better player ends up being. Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield. Whichever one ends up best will have been a better pick than the others.

To say that if Baker ends up not being a consistently good QB, that he will still have been a better pick makes no sense, unless you are also saying that all three of the guys will be even worse.

There isn’t a throw Mayfield makes that Darnold can’t. They can both make all the throws. They both have functional athleticism.

Age does matter, of course it does. If a guy has two and a bit years on the other, that’s two and a bit years of projected development to consider. That being said, I agree with this part of it... just give me the better QB. I don’t care if he’s 21 or 41.

The problems right now with Baker are stemming from a lack of comfort in the pocket. Causing erratic pocket navigation, bad decision making, and bad footwork which is resulting in inaccurate ball placement.

The best thing we could do right now for him is trade for Trent Williams or someone like that. And keep focusing on running the team through Nick Chubb, well designed screens and quick hitters.

I disagree with this thought process. No matter what happens, Baker was the best pick. What he represented, his college tape, etc etc.

Even with hindsight to this point, I'd still take Baker over anyone else in that draft. His good is really, really good. It's just down to everything around him (him included) to work on playing to that level on a consistent basis.

At 2-4, I wouldn't be looking to spend a 1st or 2nd rounder on a 31 y/o LT. If there's someone else available, then yeah.

Hopefully we get the most we can out of Baker in-season and he puts dedicated work into his craft in the offseason. 

I don’t by any means think he can’t be successful due to his height. But one thing that has helped Drew Brees and Russell Wilson become elite quarterbacks is awareness within the pocket, looking off receivers, etc. If Baker can’t become exceptional in some of those areas, that’s when the height does actually hurt you. You can see the defensive lineman anticipating where Baker is going to go with the ball and sticking their hands up there to affect things. That and Baker throwing off his back foot are things that he needs to work on in addition to a lot of the other things that have been mentioned. 

Not finishing listening... Baker shouldn't have thrown to OBJ until he saw that he was able to get by the linebacker and finish his route? What is this? If a LB runs into you during your route that is an automatic 1st down. Blaming the QB for a throw where the intended receiver was hit by the LB with the ball in the air is just silly.

You can't let a route end and then throw the football. I think the dude is drunk.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Not finishing listening... Baker shouldn't have thrown to OBJ until he saw that he was able to get by the linebacker and finish his route? What is this? If a LB runs into you during your route that is an automatic 1st down. Blaming the QB for a throw where the intended receiver was hit by the LB with the ball in the air is just silly.

You can't let a route end and then throw the football. I think the dude is drunk.

"If you where brown and orange you dont matter." NFL referees

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Don Roshi said:

I disagree with this thought process. No matter what happens, Baker was the best pick. What he represented, his college tape, etc etc.

Even with hindsight to this point, I'd still take Baker over anyone else in that draft. His good is really, really good. It's just down to everything around him (him included) to work on playing to that level on a consistent basis.

At 2-4, I wouldn't be looking to spend a 1st or 2nd rounder on a 31 y/o LT. If there's someone else available, then yeah.

It's not about hindsight when we're talking about human beings and developmental projection over a time course development over time does matter.

That's to say that in the draft, the better selections have to take into account not only what a player is the day they enter the building but what they might be over a 3 or 5 year time course.

Baker was clearly the better QB entering any building after the draft. The question was where was his ceiling and where he might be over a 3-5 year time course relative to the other prospects. 

In reality, we don't know yet whether Baker was the right selection because how a QB develops matters in evaluating the quality of the selection. However, what can be said is that given all the information that John Dorsey and decision makers had at the point of the draft decision the decision to draft Baker was a solid one that had sound internal logic/rationale.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think what Simms is eluding to is something he's talked about with Baker elsewhere and that is that Baker seems to "predetermine" where he's going with the ball and not let how plays unfold dictate where he's going with the ball.

The defensive pick play was not the best example but there's some application of that thought to it if minimally.

Paul Baumeister (former QB) and Chris Simms talking about the 3 versus 5 step drop, extra hitches, and misdiagnoses of Baker on the Landry interception and others. Falling into the trap of "pre-determining where to go with the ball based on pre-snap expectations."

Also, they talk about the 4th and 1 play call with the same formation and play-call.

Edited by Mind Character