2020 College Prospects

BroncoBruin

3 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

So the issue here would be, OL is generally a more plug-and-play position for rookies, whereas WR’s take a year or two to really become consistent impact players. If 2021 is the opening of the window, it might be more prudent to grab the WR now and then BPA on the OL next year. Theoretically, you’ve got a better chance of both players peaking together.

Kinda my thought. We shouldn't discount our two starting center candidates either, Schlottman and Morris. They both look like they're about ready and are both natural centers.Thomas, while a great prospect wouldn't have the impact this year that a dynamic WR would.

Giving Shumer a young set of tools to work with like Lock Sutton, Fant, Gordon, etc. adding a dynamic rookie could make that a DC's nightmare for the next few years at least. 

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Kinda my thought. We shouldn't discount our two starting center candidates either, Schlottman and Morris. They both look like they're about ready and are both natural centers.Thomas, while a great prospect wouldn't have the impact this year that a dynamic WR would.

Giving Shumer a young set of tools to work with like Lock Sutton, Fant, Gordon, etc. adding a dynamic rookie could make that a DC's nightmare for the next few years at least. 

@AKRNA As our resident OL aficionado, what do you think of drafting a raw OT with great athletic tools and giving him a year with Munchak? Would give us the option of moving on from Bolles, or if Bolles improves we would have a great swing man. 

13 hours ago, AKRNA said:

You've made the argument that really has me torn. If Thomas and one of Ruggs/Lamb/Juedy are available which one do you take?

With Thomas you've got a starting OL of Bolles, Risner, Glasgow, Thomas and James with your swing OT in Thomas and backup IOL of Schlottman/ Morris. Enough to make a guy drool.

With Ruggs et al.  you add a final piece to a young group of skill players Sutton, Fant, Lindsay, Lock that can start a full season under our new OC and grow as a unit. 2021 would look scary.

Usually with me the OL would be the choice but that would be one very hard decision. I don't think we'll get the chance personally. I can't imagine Thomas falling out of the top 10.

If you told me we could get Thomas and, say, Reagor, I would be ecstatic. I think that would improve the offense immensely. To your point AK, I am not sure Thomas falls out of the Top 10, but I've seen stranger things happen. 

I think Denver is better suited trading in Rounds 2/3. We need contributors. Denver has been drafting contributing back end guys that any good team needs, but we still lack the 'oomph' at a lot of positions (CB, WR, LB chief among them). I'd prefer to just use the picks we have on Days 1/2 to our advantage and land contributors if they are there for the taking.

4 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Does that put paid to this idea that our OL is set then?

A lot of people seem to think Morris is the answer at C. 

Our starting OL *might* be set right now, but that doesn't mean we won't be drafting OL. Could see it with any pick from Round 1 forward, personally.

12 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Our starting OL *might* be set right now, but that doesn't mean we won't be drafting OL. Could see it with any pick from Round 1 forward, personally.

I'll guarantee that they'll take at least one OL at some point in the draft, wouldn't be surprised to see us draft two, one tackle and one interior. We have 10 picks and I'd wager we turn that into eight players, there is room for at least one OL but like I said probably two from this year's class. 

If they don’t pick at least one OL, that would be criminal. Good OL prospects available at probably all of our first 5 picks.

The area of this draft I’d like to maneuver into is the late 2nd-early 3rd range, approx. picks 55-70. I think having 2-3 picks around there would put them in great shape. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

If they don’t pick at least one OL, that would be criminal. Good OL prospects available at probably all of our first 5 picks.

The area of this draft I’d like to maneuver into is the late 2nd-early 3rd range, approx. picks 55-70. I think having 2-3 picks around there would put them in great shape. 

I'd hope they fall into a pattern of drafting at least one high to mid-rd OL prospect annually. Having OL guys developing on both the ps and 53 is a must in todays FA NFL.

We've let that area go and missed on too many picks. At OT we're just one injury away from having another backup OT turnstile. Where's Chris Clark when you need him, our last really good swing OT.

There is TONS of developmental OT talent in the R2 - R3 range, and that same statement can be said for IOL in R4 - R5. 

I like Ben Bartch quite a bit, tons to work with, checks athletic boxes and has enough toughness and strength to move inside as a mobile OG if OT doesnt work out. 

Logan Stenberg and Colton McKivitz are excellent, rugged, play through the whistle RG prospects that will likely fall due to positional inflexability IMO. Colton may be able to carve a swing OT role but his only starters potential is at RG IMO. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/colton-mckivitz?id=32194d43-4b69-7746-902f-ec9dd1066991

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/logan-stenberg?id=32195354-4528-9628-1611-ec1e6af38d3a

Worth noting that both are spoken about as limited athletes but tested better or similar to Glasgow.