Packers Trade Trevor Davis to Raiders

TheBitzMan

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

Are you out of your mind? He gets open easily on #1 corners

-a real thing said to me

lol i bet it was the guy two rows in front of me at the game last night that went NUTS after his catch screaming "GO HAAWWWKSS!" Everyone was thinking he was stroking out until I questioned aloud "I think Kumerow's college mascot was the Warhawks?"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Kumerow is a complete waste of a roster spot IMO

Yeah, he is... He just doesn't have NFL talent.

The two throws from Monday that highlighted  his lack of talent were the back shoulder throw and the throw in the end zone.  He was unable to make adjustments to get to the ball.

7 hours ago, Jaire_Island said:

Lazzard was a top 150 recruit out of high school.. Cool to hear...

Yes he was... I remember Maycock (sic) or someone at the NFL network had him as a top 100 draft pick- like 80th or something. Kiper  had him as 5th or 6th round pick. He may have been his best available player at the end the draft... He also had an excellent career at Iowa St.

Myself, I was with the people that thought he was a tweener WR/TE. It's why he didn't get drafted. It's looking like I may have been wrong, which would be great.

I saw a real good breakdown on the WR's from a guy that does that kinda stuff. His breakdown was real positive on Lazzard, poor on Kumerow and inconclusive on Shepherd (which surprise me. I thought his evaluation would have been poor).

Long story short with Lizzard is he's a big guy with huge hands and can really jump, but he's a 4.6 speed guy... What makes him overcome his 4.6 speed is legitimately plays faster than that and is quick in his cuts (look at his out route in Monday's game). Because he's so big and can jump so well, DB's have to respect him deep. When DBs are off him, he has the cutting ability to get open.

The comp this guy came up with was a taller Dez Bryant. That's not a projection, it's just a comp. A comp I'm starting to see a a little bit myself.

3 hours ago, Donzo said:

Long story short with Lizzard is he's a big guy with huge hands and can really jump, but he's a 4.6 speed guy... What makes him overcome his 4.6 speed is legitimately plays faster than that and is quick in his cuts (look at his out route in Monday's game). Because he's so big and can jump so well, DB's have to respect him deep. When DBs are off him, he has the cutting ability to get open.The comp this guy came up with was a taller Dez Bryant. That's not a projection, it's just a comp. A comp I'm starting to see a a little bit myself.

I'm pulling for him to come thru for us cause I think we need him.

Our TE production hasnt been consistent at all. I keep pulling for Graham to snag passes like he used to - but its become more the pleasant surprise than the norm. Through he dropped a sure TD against DET he did make an excellent / really tough catch on a critical 3rd down. You gotta know I breathed a sigh of relief. He's *gotta win* those contested catch opportunities. DBs are generally taller now and he's slowed down more than enough for them to stay on him.

Davante - well, he's got what he's got and unless we want him to struggle thru it all year, every win we can steal while he's on the sidelines is a huge advantage overall.  We're four weeks away from the Bye - so that time out isnt going to come to the rescue.

Now we've got Allison down for the count again - for how severe an injury or how long - we dont know yet. I count on Allison's contribution not only because I think he can give it - but AR counts on him - which matters a great deal.

If the theory of AR holding grudges or being reticent to pass to some guys holds water - I fear #10 could get the cold shoulder - which isnt good for our offense.  Our WR corp is already limited. We need all hands on deck and producing. Sheppard showed good quicks in PS and we need that guy on the field. Not somebody who's playing scared.  

We *need* Lazard to be the best he can be. Sounds like he's got size and speed metrics that will make him a weapon at this level and he's expressing personal "Count on me...throw me the ball" confidence thats both good to hear and necessary to excel.

Good for him / good for us.

Just gotta keep grinding them out.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

You might be right, and not missing anything actually.  But we can’t really know by just one game when he was pressed into service before he was ready. 

Obviously the organization sees something in him and traded Davis to go with him. We'll see how it plays out.

22 hours ago, Donzo said:

Absolutely- very bad trade for Gute. Trading Davis mid season when there wasn't an NFL caliber replacement available was/is a mistake... Shepard did everything he could to lose last nights game.

22 hours ago, Leader said:

I've no clue about this, but it seemed to me he made "nervous" mistakes last night. Like the game was moving too fast for him at the moment.

I dont know the guy at all other than PackerRaymond saying he lead (all?) WRs in separation last year in college - which is a good stat and he played well this PS.

I dont see the team moving on from him - but they may clamp down on his punt returning freedoms - which overall isnt good for the team.

22 hours ago, Donzo said:

There does seem to be some support for him, which is a little confusing. Imagine if Davis did what Shepard did last night for the Packers?!? Dang, this site would have crashed with all the Davis hate.

22 hours ago, Norm said:

He definitely looked terrified back there

Shepherd is in way over his head right now.  

I can actually understand and somewhat excuse the drop.  He slipped.  Ball hit his facemask as he was going down.  Just a fluke play.

But the punt?  No punt returner worth anything tries to catch a punt like he did.

There are coaching points for fielding punts.  Run to where the ball is going.  Get under it, get shoulders square and catch the ball with elbows at the hips.  If you can't get under and shoulders square to the ball, you simply do not field it.

So...either GB hasn't been preaching this into their returners, or this guy is simply ignoring coaching.  I wasn't at a practice, so I don't know.  But there are basic fundamentals to catching a punt and he broke a major one.

Honestly, he should be released for that.  We have no better option right now, which is why he still has a job.  But he shouldn't.  BB would have pink slipped him during the game.  Holmgren would have as well.  MLF probably had him over for dinner last night, grilled him some chicken then sat him down for a little tough love speech.  Hopefully it worked.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

But the punt?  No punt returner worth anything tries to catch a punt like he did

I don't think it was by design.  Based on the reaction he had, he either misjudged the ball or the ball was moving a bit more than he anticipated.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think it was by design.  Based on the reaction he had, he either misjudged the ball or the ball was moving a bit more than he anticipated.

It was an unfortunate muff. It happens. Hopefully as infrequently as possible because the outcomes can be disastrous. To my knowledge we dont have another guy to do it other than Tramon - who might be more sure handed but is anything but didnt light the world on fire last year as I recall.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Right, which is why you get away from that ball and let it land.  Sure it stinks and can cost field position, but you never catch a punt above your head.

Again, I'm not burying him, but he's in over his head right now.

Kid needs to up his game, because if a returner with WR skills ends up on the street, GB has to look.

9 hours ago, Donzo said:

Long story short with Lizzard is he's a big guy with huge hands and can really jump, but he's a 4.6 speed guy... What makes him overcome his 4.6 speed is legitimately plays faster than that and is quick in his cuts (look at his out route in Monday's game). Because he's so big and can jump so well, DB's have to respect him deep. When DBs are off him, he has the cutting ability to get open.

Lizzard is in Green Bay though, and everyone knows lizzards like warm weather 9_9 

He's a 4.55 guy that seems to run faster in-game, as Donzo says. Maybe he is fairly quick, but at almost 6'5", just takes time to get those long legs up to speed.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive