TNF - Titans @ Jaguars - The Gardner Minshew Blowout Bowl

Dome

Just now, jrry32 said:

I still think he'll surprise folks if given the right opportunity. 

If I thought it was system related I'd agree, but so much of it is horrible accuracy and pocket presence. The latter can only marginally be taught and the former can't be.

1 minute ago, Dome said:

his athleticism is totally wasted.

someone should give him the tayom hill treatment and see what happens

Frankly, he's the sort of dude who would end up with Payton on the Saints and become a good QB. It's about designing a system that uses his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses. Too few schemes in the NFL do that. People can talk trash about Goff being a "system QB," but if your team doesn't have a system that is making full use of your QB's abilities, you need a new coach/coordinator.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

If I thought it was system related I'd agree, but so much of it is horrible accuracy and pocket presence. The latter can only marginally be taught and the former can't be.

Yeah, but his accuracy wasn't always terrible. It tells you there's something more to it. Pocket presence can be mitigated. But yeah, that's always been an issue for Mariota. Like I said, he reminded/reminds me of Alex Smith (except he doesn't have a weak arm, but he plays like he does).

Edited by jrry32

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Frankly, he's the sort of dude who would end up with Payton on the Saints and become a good QB. It's about designing a system that uses his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses. Too few schemes in the NFL do that. People can talk trash about Goff being a "system QB," but if your team doesn't have a system that is making full use of your QB's abilities, you need a new coach/coordinator.

A Randall Cunningham fan can not like this post enough.

• Like 2