Week 4 GDT: Titans vs. Falcons

KingTitan

It still blows my mind it's taken this long to play to the strengths of Mariota. It's been obvious since his college days that he flourishes in a spread based offense with quick passes, yet we don't play that way enough. And now with a YAC monster in Brown and Davis, who isn't bad himself with YAC, that style of play should be all the more obvious. 

Our 11 personnel group with Delanie as our TE and Davis/Brown/Humphries as our WRs is too good not to run more often. Hopefully this game and the return of Lewan leads to some changes to our offensive philosophy.

• Like 1

I'd have to look at the rest of the plays to see how much more "spread" they were, but the first AJ Brown TD was a 3TE 1 WR formation. It's the same stuff we've been doing, they just executed and Brown balled after the catch.

Mariota was finally getting the ball out quick and helping his OL. Some of that is possibly on the OC, but a lot of it is just on Mariota playing better.

The Davis TD was just a really damn good throw with the ball in the air before Davis' break. He hadn't been making those throws earlier in the season. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 9:07 PM, KingTitan said:

So much fun to watch. 

8 hours ago, TitanSS said:

I'd have to look at the rest of the plays to see how much more "spread" they were, but the first AJ Brown TD was a 3TE 1 WR formation. It's the same stuff we've been doing, they just executed and Brown balled after the catch.

Mariota was finally getting the ball out quick and helping his OL. Some of that is possibly on the OC, but a lot of it is just on Mariota playing better.

The Davis TD was just a really damn good throw with the ball in the air before Davis' break. He hadn't been making those throws earlier in the season. 

Watching the video and only looking at the first half (which I believe is every completion other than the Dion screens), 8 of 12 were from shotgun, seven had three receivers, I believe the AJ touchdown was the only one with three TEs. Of the four completions under center, three of them were hard play action. 

22 hours ago, dtait93 said:

I didn't watch him enough this game to say much, but it did seem like the interior played a little better overall.  I like Nate Davis, but I still question taking him over McGovern.  Hopefully his play proves me wrong, and soon.

On 10/1/2019 at 8:17 AM, titans0021 said:

Watching the video and only looking at the first half (which I believe is every completion other than the Dion screens), 8 of 12 were from shotgun, seven had three receivers, I believe the AJ touchdown was the only one with three TEs. Of the four completions under center, three of them were hard play action. 

I didn't have the stats to back this up at first, but from what I saw a lot of the 11 personnel formations just happened to be 3rd down. Not all of them, but there were several. This quote demonstrates the personnel groupings from the first half, which were basically what we've always done. Arthur Smith wasn't any different than he had been. The difference was Mariota got the ball out fast (6 tenths of a second faster than he had been, which is absolutely huge) and his receivers made plays in space.

In the explosive first half, the Titans used 11-personnel on 53% of snaps, 12-personnel on 38% of snaps, and 21, 13, and 20 personnel groupings made up the final 9% per Sharp Football Stats. Those rates largely line up with the team’s season totals: 49% 11-personnel, 36% 12-personnel, and the remaining 15% split up between 21, 13, and 20 personnel with 13 making up the biggest slice at 10% of the total.