Kareem Hunt - Best Debut since?

Kiwibrown

Kareem Hunt had an impressive state line against the Pats on debut. 

17 attempts for 148 yards and a TD.

5 catches for 98 yards and 2 TD's. 

Is this the best debit since Anquan Boldins 10 receptions for 217 yards and 2 TD's. IF not who? Or was he not that good? Im only observing the stats, I didn't see the game. 

I think it's the funniest debut ever. The dude never lost a fumble in college, then he fumbles on his first NFL carry and loses it.

Only to have laughably the best RB debut ever... 

I'm going to guess he breaks some sort of rookie record this year but also sets a rookie record for fumbles because I want to see that happen. 

RG3 debuted in a hostile environment in New Orleans and was 18/26 73% 320yds 2 td 0ints then rushed for 42yds on 9 carries. I thought that was very impressive because even great QBs don't come into New Orleans and out duel Drew Brees but RG3 did and led his team to a win.

He looked phenomenal, so the stats do represent his performance. You'd probably have to go back to Boldin. A few QBs have had strong debuts lately. RG3, Cam Newton, and Marcus Mariota all had standout first games. But they were mostly impressive when factoring that they were rookies. As opposed to Hunt and Boldin who had phenomenal games for anyone.

2 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Very impressive debut, but I honestly don't expect him to have a career.  He was the 7th or 8th best back drafted this year imo.

Can't completely dismiss him like that after that performance but who knows what he is over a career and I ageee too early to call him ROY/MVP like Jimmy Brown in 58. It's one game. One great game though. Very impressed with what I saw. 

2 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

Can't completely dismiss him like that after that performance but who knows what he is over a career and I ageee too early to call him ROY/MVP like Jimmy Brown in 58. It's one game. One great game though. Very impressed with what I saw. 

He could continue to prove me wrong, though I've rarely been wrong before.  

In the grand scheme of things, it really is just 1 game. This doesn't prove to any doubters that he's the real deal, nor does it confirm to believers that he is the real deal. Certainly evidence piece #1 towards the latter, but more will be needed. You'd think this would go without saying, but apparently not based off some of these comments.

I would say this is right up there with Boldin as the best debut of all time for a skill player. Certainly the best for a RB. Billy Simms comes close with his 217 YFS and  3 TDs, but Hunt did more on less touches, against the defending SB champs coached by renowned defensive guru BB no less.

Little trickier to compare with QB. Mariota had 4 TDs and a perfect passer rating in his debut and Tarkenton had 5 TDs and near perfect passer rating. 

However, greatest debut of all time was by Reggie Sutton. Drafted in 86 out of the U, he was riddled with off the field problems and didn't even play his rookie season. Not until a few games into his 2nd year did he see the field and he pretty much put the team on his back to beat the dynasty Bears, who were 4-0 on the year and 33-3 dating back to 85. Sutton had 3 interceptions and a blocked punt en route to a 19-17 Saints win, at Soldier Field!  ...he was also playing against replacement players :)

7 hours ago, mission27 said:

He could continue to prove me wrong, though I've rarely been wrong before.  

Want to be the Browns GM?

But Kareem is the real deal. He has every tool needed to succeed in the game. He might not end up being a Hall of Famer, All-Pro, or top 5 back in the league but he will be around, starting, contributing for a long time. He makes people miss, runs through arms, and has some of the best balance I have seen. That alone will keep him around.

37 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Without taking anything away from him, our front 7 looked like children out there. He won't be averaging 7 or 8 YPC against other defenses. 

Lawrence Guy was known for being very good at setting the edge in Baltimore last year. But, he looked really bad out there yesterday.

I expected the Pats pass rush to struggle, but the run D shouldn't be that bad. 

Archived