2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

2 hours ago, N4L said:

Kind of surprised the giants didn't match that offer for Smith. Must be going full rebuild? 

Very reasonable deal for the braves. Probably not necessary for the Giants. Lots of promising arms in the pen, and still a lot of bad contacts to finish off.

7 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Kind of need to, the farm isn't stellar so everything they can do to boost it helps. Count on Zhaidi doing everything he can to maximize the draft and the international pool.

Giants aren't competing in that division next year. No reason to sign Will Smith if you aren't going to really need a close for a couple seasons. Better off seeing if Trevor Gott can do it.

14 hours ago, mse326 said:

Odorizzi I get. Abreu is surprising. I think there was enough of a market to get a decent contract (maybe not that AAV) and given his age and player profile he won't have much longer to get that good multi year deal. I can only imagine he thinks that the new CBA will get more money for the players so that he can get a better contract, but everything I've seen suggests that if there is more money it will come by getting young guys their money sooner since teams don't want to pay big FA contracts.

I thought he'd get maybe 2 years with a club option, $14MM AAV? Something like that.

Seems reasonable to bet that there's $10MM more guaranteed down the line for him after this.

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

Giants aren't competing in that division next year. No reason to sign Will Smith if you aren't going to really need a close for a couple seasons. Better off seeing if Trevor Gott can do it.

I agree, and I'm shocked Zaidi didn't trade Bum and more than just him to restock. 

12 hours ago, Slateman said:

I'm really hoping that Moronta can be that guy, personally. 

10 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I thought he'd get maybe 2 years with a club option, $14MM AAV? Something like that.

Seems reasonable to bet that there's $10MM more guaranteed down the line for him after this.

Lot of smoke the Abreu and Chi Sox are working on a multi year deal, but just hasn't come together yet. Sounds like the QO money may be moot anyway...

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

lol I barely saw his eyes move on a zoomed in video, and it wasn't super clear either. I'm supposed to believe Yu stepped off because he saw it from 60 ft away? Ha.

Yeah, I zoomed in super close onto his eyes and could barely see anything. Whole buncha nothing 

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a huge descrepancy between yelich's home/road splits? 

20 hours ago, Slateman said:

He's a good player that you could have for a reasonable price. I get what you are saying, and there is probably a chance he wouldn't take the same contract from the giants considering his farewell post referenced the fact he has only made the playoffs once in his career 

17 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

I agree, and I'm shocked Zaidi didn't trade Bum and more than just him to restock. 

The fluke July hurt us there, but it's still not as bad as the fluke July that Pittsburg had when they traded glasnow and meadows for Chris Archer ... Oof

7 minutes ago, N4L said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a huge descrepancy between yelich's home/road splits?

I mean, he's super human in Milwaukee due to the ballpark playing incredibly well to his strengths but he still posted these stat lines on the road both years in Milwaukee...

2018: .328/.399/.545, 14 HR, .217 ISO, .404 wOBA, 155 wRC+ 
2019: .312/.409/.597, 17 HR, .285 ISO, .407 wOBA, 152 wRC+

Nothing to sneeze at lol

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

Would Nick Castellanos play first base?

Nats need a first baseman and another bat if they lose Rendon. My offer would be Castellanos, 4 years, 60 million, with a player option after two years and the contract front loaded (2020- 17 million, 2021- 16 million).

Could be a win/win for both sides. If Nick rakes (or hates first base) he can reload after 2021 for the last big contract (he'll be 30). The Nats get a bat they need with some financial flexibility for the last two years of the Scherzer contract.