MNF: Lions at Packers

Malfatron

who wins  

17 members have voted

1. 1. wins

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/15/2019 at 12:33 AM

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

Is anything I said wrong? Lions failed to execute with their opportunities. Unless you think 5 field goals was their goal? Does it suck the refs suck? Of course. Does it mean that the two hands to the face calls decided the game? If that helps you sleep better, then go ahead and think that. 

But, I mean, they literally did.

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

Is anything I said wrong? Lions failed to execute with their opportunities. Unless you think 5 field goals was their goal? Does it suck the refs suck? Of course. Does it mean that the two hands to the face calls decided the game? If that helps you sleep better, then go ahead and think that. 

Yes and Yes.

Just because a team doesn't score a TD every drive and settles for a FG, does not mean they failed to execute enough times to win the game. They put points on the board. There have been many times teams defenses held opposing opponents offenses in check; I mean, even the previous Superbowl was a 10 - 3 game......

The first phantom hands to the face call would have made the Packers kick the ball, instead they got gifted a fresh set of downs and scored a TD. The second phantom hands to the face call would have again made it 4th and long and made the FG try a lot more difficult then the 20ish yard game winning FG.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Onizuka said:

Yes and Yes.

Just because a team doesn't score a TD every drive and settles for a FG, does not mean they failed to execute enough times to win the game. They put points on the board. There have been many times teams defenses held opposing opponents offenses in check; I mean, even the previous Superbowl was a 10 - 3 game......

The first phantom hands to the face call would have made the Packers kick the ball, instead they got gifted a fresh set of downs and scored a TD. The second phantom hands to the face call would have again made it 4th and long and made the FG try a lot more difficult then the 20ish yard game winning FG.

Except actually they didn't. I feel like that's being overlooked because the HTTF penalty was the clincher, but that TD was short. It should have been first and goal from the 1.

I guess Detroit takes no self responsibility for failing to put the game away even though GB and their mistakes gave them every chance to. Guess the refs are to blame here. It’s convenient. When GB gets calls go against them, like in Philly with the obvious no DPI call and then the less talked about no DPI call on GB’s final pass, nobody says a word. 

Whatever. GB is 5-1 and Detroit is in the cellar of the division. Cheers. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ketchup said:

You realize that the Packers failed to execute also, but just got 2nd chances from the refs that the Lions didn’t get...right?

Edited by fortdetroit
  • Like 2

I would have loved the Lions to score TDs instead of FGs. So would the Packers. Lucky for the Packers, penalties extended their touchdown drives, while questionable (if not bad) officiating mistakes ended the Lions' drives. (The missed DPI and the questionable decision on the Kerryon Johnson fumble would have extended both drives.)

The Packers held a lead in this game for 0 seconds. They didn't play well enough to win... the officiating made it possible for them to do just that.

28 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

I guess Detroit takes no self responsibility for failing to put the game away even though GB and their mistakes gave them every chance to. Guess the refs are to blame here. It’s convenient. When GB gets calls go against them, like in Philly with the obvious no DPI call and then the less talked about no DPI call on GB’s final pass, nobody says a word. 

Lazy argument defending extremely  poor officiating.

Because your team won.

5 1st downs because of penalty...to 0. Not to mention an overturn on a clear catch and fumble that killed a Lions drive.

But that one time in Seattle...

• Like 1

So full disclosure, I'm not sure I would have called either hands to the face penalty. 

However:

The letter of the law includes contact to the neck area. It is just about impossible to have a hold of the neck hole of the shoulder pads, and be pushing up against them without making some contact to the neck area.

When I say that Flowers rushed that way on at least 50% of his rushes against Bakhtiari, I'm not exaggerating, that was his go to move on just about every rush. There were times earlier in the game where he was missing on his grab and basically punching Bakhtiari in the throat. After the play where Flowers threw Bakhtiari to the ground by that hole in his shoulder pads, Bakhtiari complained to the ref about it and drew attention to it.  

On the first penalty, Flowers is arguing that it shouldn't be called hands to the face BECAUSE his hand was grabbing the neck hole of the shoulder pads. If the ref determines that grabbing and pushing on the neck hole of the shoulder pads is hands to the face, that argument isn't going to help your case. 

The second penalty was much more questionable as to whether the hand was actually grabbing the neck hole of the shoulder pads, but the ref only threw the flag after Flowers punched up with the hand holding the shoulder pad. He was keeping the flag in his pocket until that upward motion. 

What you see in this still was pretty much all night. 

EG5ZlLsX4AcpTyW?format=jpg

Edited by AlexGreen#20

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So full disclosure, I'm not sure I would have called either hands to the face penalty. 

However:

The letter of the law includes contact to the neck area. It is just about impossible to have a hold of the neck hole of the shoulder pads, and be pushing up against them without making some contact to the neck area.

When I say that Flowers rushed that way on at least 50% of his rushes against Bakhtiari, I'm not exaggerating, that was his go to move on just about every rush. There were times earlier in the game where he was missing on his grab and basically punching Bakhtiari in the throat. After the play where Flowers threw Bakhtiari to the ground by that hole in his shoulder pads, Bakhtiari complained to the ref about it and drew attention to it.  

On the first penalty, Flowers is arguing that it shouldn't be called hands to the face BECAUSE his hand was grabbing the neck hole of the shoulder pads. If the ref determines that grabbing and pushing on the neck hole of the shoulder pads is hands to the face, that argument isn't going to help your case. 

The second penalty was much more questionable as to whether the hand was actually grabbing the neck hole of the shoulder pads, but the ref only threw the flag after Flowers punched up with the hand holding the shoulder pad. He was keeping the flag in his pocket until that upward motion. 

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

However:

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So, what you're saying is...

that the Packers were getting benefit if the doubt calls at crucial moments in the game?

You don't say...

Edited by BofaDeez54927
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

So, what you're saying is...

that the Packers were getting benefit if the doubt calls at crucial moments in the game?

You don't say...

Isn't the counter argument that the Lions were getting away with a penalty all game and it was only when our player informed the incompetent official of the rule and drew his attention to the infraction, that the incompetent official actually noticed it?

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Isn't the counter argument that the Lions were getting away with a penalty all game and it was only when our player informed the incompetent official of the rule and drew his attention to the infraction, that the incompetent official actually noticed it?

But didn’t notice the hands to face committed by that same individual? 

don’t get me wrong, I can fully agree that the Lions never should have let it get to that point. However, to come out and justify a piss poor call is just nasty. 

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Or, that both teams were committing questionable, subjective penalties and only the Lions were called, and at crucial moments in the game.

52 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

And people wonder why a Lions fan would come out and tell GB fans to **** off.