Week 7 (TNF) GDT: Chiefs @ Broncos

champ11

Just now, Broncofan said:

Scangarelli got schooled.  It happens.   He's also playing with a statue QB that can't feel pressure, and can't get rid of the ball, and 2 T's that are All Pro turnstiles.    We just have so....little....roster....talent

I honestly love this outcome even if I lost focus in the second half like the team did. Elways going to sell, drew locks gonna play, sling shot engaged. 

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

They paid big money for Leary and James, spent a 1st on Bolles. He’s tried to fix the line, the moves just haven’t worked. 

A lot of the guys that he has drafted on the O-line were failures (except for Paradis, Risner, and Franklin). And, he overpays for average guys or underachievers, and passes on better players for cheaper (like Paradis).

2 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

A lot of the guys that he has drafted on the O-line were failures (except for Paradis, Risner, and Franklin). And, he overpays for average guys or underachievers, and passes on better players for cheaper (like Paradis).

Serious question what did you expect post Peyton Manning? 

You have to overpay on the oline unless there's a ring on the table or you're a Huge market team aka. Dallas.

1 minute ago, French Fan said:

Fant 5 targets 1 catch. Hamilton 5 targets 2 catchs.....Sanders and Sutton are the only WR.

White flag is thrown for this season.

We will be sellers  Miller-CHJ-Sanders-Wolfe and others...

Fant really let me down tonight both fantasy wise. And he had so many opportunities for huge plays.

So, let's summarize:

The Good

1.  Sutton - dude's a baller.  Other younger guys were decent included Simmons, Johnson, the front 3 in run D.   

2.  No one got hurt, especially the big 3 who are leaving

3A.  I don't think @jsthomp2007 really has a 8th grade GF.

3B.  @champ11 gets to take a well-deserved rest from starting the GDT.

The Bad

4.  That ST call - you're playing the top ST unit, and Dave Toub, and you draw up a fake where the FB starts windmilling for no reason?  No chance they were ready for that one...

5.  McManus - you just can't miss those FG's.

6.  Early pass rush - we gave Matt Moore fits, but reality was Mahomes wasn't getting enough pressure early.

The Ugly

7.  Everything else - we got outcoached in being WAY TOO PREDICTABLE on O (and @lomaxgrUK's call on being a more downfield and diverse pass O is spot on - the porous KC D just didn't respect our pass game, and sold out to stop the run on 1st/2nd, with impressive results).   

8.  Pass Pro, especially the T's - Bolles & Wilkinson were comedically awful.   Wilkinson is a year 2 UDFA, so that's not good, but not surprising.  ANY hope we can salvage Bolles should be pretty much crushed by now.  He just doesn't get it.

9.  Flacco - yes, the pass pro was bad.  But at least 4 of the sacks, and the strip-6, was Flacco not sensing pressure when there was time to get rid of the ball, and not doing it.   He's. Not.  The.  Answer.    Let's just admit it and move on.   

10.  Roster talent - it's a recurring theme, but it needs to be said again.   Our roster talent is BAD.   Bottom 5 bad.  We just ran into a decimated Chargers team that was missing 5 Pro Bowl starters and 7 starters overall (think on that), and a TEN team at home that didn't realize Marcus Mariota has zero business being a starting QB, and has an even simpler O to defend than we did with Lynch/Siemian.

Overall, the one extra hidden blessing - Elway called it our measuring stick.   We lost by 24 points.  At home.  To a team WITHOUT Patrick Mahomes.  We gave up 9 sacks to the #30 pass D that was missing Chris Jones and 2 of their top 4  CB's.   NINE.  We were almost completely healthy compared to them missing FIVE key starters from the week before.   FIVE.  

Elway - WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.   GET ON THE FREAKING LINES AND SELL.   CHJ, Manny Sanders and Derek Wolfe.  You have 11 days.  Get.  It.  Done.   

(And don't bother activating Theo Riddick.  Save the $ where you can and cut your losses on all the win-now mistake decisions.  Get Lock ready, because after Week 11, any time is fair game to see what we have with him).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

So, let's summarize:

The Good

1.  Sutton - dude's a baller.  Other younger guys were decent included Simmons, Johnson, the front 3 in run D.   

2.  No one got hurt, especially the big 3 who are leaving

3.  I don't think @jsthomp2007 really has a 8th grade GF.

The Bad

4.  That ST call - you're playing the top ST unit, and Dave Toub, and you draw up a fake where the FB starts windmilling for no reason?  No chance they were ready for that one...

5.  McManus - you just can't miss those FG's.

6.  Early pass rush - we gave Matt Moore fits, but reality was Mahomes wasn't getting enough pressure early.

The Ugly

6.  Everything else - we got outcoached in being WAY TOO PREDICTABLE on O (and @lomaxgrUK's call on being a more downfield and diverse pass O is spot on - the porous KC D just didn't respect our pass game, and sold out to stop the run on 1st/2nd, with impressive results).   

7.  Pass Pro, especially the T's - Bolles & Wilkinson were comedically awful.   Wilkinson is a year 2 UDFA, so that's not good, but not surprising.  ANY hope we can salvage Bolles should be pretty much crushed by now.  He just doesn't get it.

8.  Flacco - yes, the pass pro was bad.  But at least 4 of the sacks, and the strip-6, was Flacco not sensing pressure when there was time to get rid of the ball, and not doing it.   He's. Not.  The.  Answer.    Let's just admit it and move on.   

Overall, the one extra hidden blessing - Elway called it our measuring stick.   We lost by 24 points.  At home.  To a team WITHOUT Patrick Mahomes.  We gave up 9 sacks to the #30 pass D that was missing Chris Jones and 2 of their 3 starting CB's.   NINE.  We were almost completely healthy compared to them missing FIVE key starters from the week before.   FIVE.  

Elway - WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.   GET ON THE FREAKING LINES AND SELL.   CHJ, Manny Sanders and Derek Wolfe.  You have 11 days.  Get.  It.  Done.   

(And don't bother activating Theo Riddick.  Save the $ where you can and cut your losses on all the win-now mistake decisions.  Get Lock ready, because after Week 11, any time is fair game to see what we have with him).

Fant should be in the ugly. He doesn’t even fight for the ball. Runs lazy routes. His effort is concerning especially considering the camp reports. 

9 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Fant should be in the ugly. He doesn’t even fight for the ball. Runs lazy routes. His effort is concerning especially considering the camp reports. 

Yeah that's fair.   He's a rookie, so it's not a lost cause, as bad as it is - the speed of the game is so fast for him right now, it's bringing out the mental mistakes.   But it's worrisome for sure because drops were his college flaw, too.    The key will be when the game slows down for him - do the mistakes go away?  If so, great.  But there's a reason why rookie TE's struggle.   Honestly, most teams don't even get their rookies on the field that much because of the learning curve.

Either way, though, no argument on tonight - it was fuuuugly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah that's fair.   He's a rookie, so it's not a lost cause, as bad as it is - the speed of the game is so fast for him right now, it's bringing out the mental mistakes.   But it's worrisome for sure because drops were his college flaw, too.    The key will be when the game slows down for him - do the mistakes go away?  If so, great.  But there's a reason why rookie TE's struggle.   Honestly, most teams don't even get their rookies on the field that much because of the learning curve.

Either way, though, no argument on tonight - it was fuuuugly.

I’ve seen rookie Tight Ends. Scouted for years. What I’m seeing from Fant isn’t a rookie lapse. Or the game needing to slow down. It’s effort and concentration lapses that worry me. I’ll bet my salary that he never lives up to his draft position. I’ll bet it that as a first round TE he never passes 900 yards or 5 TDS in a season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I’ve seen rookie Tight Ends. Scouted for years. What I’m seeing from Fant isn’t a rookie lapse. Or the game needing to slow down. It’s effort and concentration lapses that worry me. I’ll bet my salary that he never lives up to his draft position. I’ll bet it that as a first round TE he never passes 900 yards or 5 TDS in a season. 

Be careful of the 5 TD's.  Eric Ebron has the same issues and last year happened lol.  But I hear you.  It's definitely the riskiest (and worst) but plausible of outcomes.

9 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Simmons might have been the best player on the field tonight. He and Sutton balled. 

Yeah, Simmons & Sutton were our best players.  I probably didn't give Simmons enough cred.  

KC's best player tonight hands down was Joe Flacco.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1