Week 7 (TNF) GDT: Chiefs @ Broncos

champ11

7 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

My bigger concern with Lock was more the fact he didn't look natural in the pocket and got nervous when our backup OL were poor in preseason

This is 100% my biggest concern but Locks biggest weakness was holding on to the football from what I saw and a lesser oline (Bolles) can remedy that.

Can't believe I've had to watch so much Trailblazers basketball. yuck 

Can't believe I've had to watch so much Denver basketball. yuck

lol grew up in PDX so they are all I have. Actually like Denver when they aren't playing PDX. Nowhere near that now exploded OKC mob of douchers

Edited by BroncosFan2010

Not playing Lock this season is about the silliest take alive.   He’s not a known commodity.  We need to know if there is something there or not.  And we won’t get it by waiting until offseason workouts to show us.  

There is always risk in playing a young QB.   But our season is lost.  He’s not a crown jewel we need to protect at all costs.   He’s an unknown that we have to test in live games and see how far along he is.  

Even if we are willing to see it through 2020 before diving in with an early pick again - we can’t operate on faith alone.     That’s an embarrassingly bad take by Clough and Franklin if they are serious about the entire season IMO. 

Edited by Broncofan

18 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

The tough part for Lock is post bye the schedule is brutal;

MIN

BUF

LAC

before a brief respite with HOU

Getting James back will help and he needs to play but the results might be ugly 

It could be absolutely ugly.  But we can look to see if Lock progresses week to week or not.   And any L’s only helps our draft position.   

I do think James at RT will help a lot.   Scangarelli can help with more hot reads integrated into the plays.   Or at least have the QB in step with them.  Flacco sure as hell wasn’t on the same page last night. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

They paid big money for Leary and James, spent a 1st on Bolles. He’s tried to fix the line, the moves just haven’t worked. 

Yeah this needs to be said more.

Elway also paid Okung and the cast of characters who’ve comprised our revolving door at RT since the Super Bowl. He also drafted Orlando Franklin, Matt Paradis and signed Louis Vasquez and Ryan Harris. 

The personnel failures as pertains to the OL haven been a result of poor decisions, not neglect. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah that's fair.   He's a rookie, so it's not a lost cause, as bad as it is - the speed of the game is so fast for him right now, it's bringing out the mental mistakes.   But it's worrisome for sure because drops were his college flaw, too.    The key will be when the game slows down for him - do the mistakes go away?  If so, great.  But there's a reason why rookie TE's struggle.   Honestly, most teams don't even get their rookies on the field that much because of the learning curve.

Either way, though, no argument on tonight - it was fuuuugly.

The only silver lining to the trade down in last year’s draft - where we could have and maybe should have taken Devin Bush who is the DROY at this point - is that we got both Fant and Lock. 

The problems with Fant coming out were a) his drops and b) his blocking skills, or lack thereof.

Now, I’m not going to write off a rookie TE (a notoriously hard position to transition from NCAA to NFL, even from a NFL-like program in Iowa) less than half a season in but, much like Bolles, his college flaws remain flaws in his NFL career. Bolles was an athletic freak who was (and is) a meathead. Fant was (and is) an athletic freak who couldn’t block and struggles catching the ball. 

You have to play Lock this season - its not like he is an No.1 pick - he is a second rounder that we need to find out if he can play. The results really don't matter much at this stage - its about finding out which players are capable of taking the team forward. Firesale the established vets, see what is good enough to keep and dump the rest (man - how is Wadman still on the roster - surely there has to be a better FA punter out there somewhere).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I agree, but it felt from the start this was a game we weren't trying to win. The 2 point conversion play call the very first drive, the odd fake punt, the first quarter it seemed like the coaches weren't trying to win they were just trying stuff.

Our tackles made KCs dline look like the 2015 Broncos line lol. Game was never going to be won.

I disagree. I don’t mind aggressiveness. My problem was with the execution.

I didn’t mind the fake punt try, I hated the play that was called. I didn’t mind going for two, especially after the penalty put us at the 1, but calling a dive without a FB and using a 190lb RB? Terrible. The Shanahan/Kubiak/McVay/whomever Scangarello offense we’re running has so many better goal-to-go play calls in it than that. Terrible. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It could be absolutely ugly.  But we can look to see if Lock progresses week to week or not.   And any L’s only helps our draft position.   

I do think James at RT will help a lot.   Scangarelli can help with more hot reads integrated into the plays.   Or at least have the QB in step with them.  Flacco sure as hell wasn’t on the same page last night. 

Oh yeah Lock has to play this year and the more games the better.

I just don’t envy him in the slightest with that matchup.   Especially if Sanders is moved and this offense is the RBs Sutton and the cornfield scarecrows that are left at WR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I disagree. I don’t mind aggressiveness. My problem was with the execution.

I didn’t mind the fake punt try, I hated the play that was called. I didn’t mind going for two, especially after the penalty put us at the 1, but calling a dive without a FB and using a 190lb RB? Terrible. The Shanahan/Kubiak/McVay/whomever Scangarello offense we’re running has so many better goal-to-go play calls in it than that. Terrible. 

I don't mind the aggression that's taking my words out of context you can be aggressive, but like you said personnel and play calling dictated to me we weren't trying to win that game and we were trying different things.

That game was unattainable due too the state of the tackle situation whether we hit on those plays or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

There is always risk in playing a young QB.   But our season is lost.  He’s not a crown jewel we need to protect at all costs.   He’s an unknown that we have to test in live games and see how far along he is.  

He's the Josh Rosen of the Denver Broncos lol. Have to find out what he's got.

Edited by thebestever6

37 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I don't mind the aggression that's taking my words out of context you can be aggressive, but like you said personnel and play calling dictated to me we weren't trying to win that game and we were trying different things.

That game was unattainable due too the state of the tackle situation whether we hit on those plays or not.

Good points. Agreed.