Week 7 (TNF) GDT: Chiefs @ Broncos

champ11

32 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I’ve seen rookie Tight Ends. Scouted for years. What I’m seeing from Fant isn’t a rookie lapse. Or the game needing to slow down. It’s effort and concentration lapses that worry me. I’ll bet my salary that he never lives up to his draft position. I’ll bet it that as a first round TE he never passes 900 yards or 5 TDS in a season. 

No I see a rich mans lj smith to an Aaron Hernandez he will be a decent pick.

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Everything is in Fant's head right now. He's sinking out there starting as a 21 year old rookie TE in a complex offense for TEs. As his body and mind develop, hopefully it gets better. The drops are scary though. 

I don't understand the drops these gloves now a days have damn near stick em on them. It's nerves Tony Gonzalez went through it early in KC.

11 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

No I see a rich mans lj smith to an Aaron Hernandez he will be a decent pick.

He won’t I’ll tell you now. Coming from a guy who took George Kittle in a dynasty league before he got drafted. Took Dawson Knox last year (wait for it) and was stupid enough to gamble on Fant because my other choice got taken and felt it was a bad pick but still took a risk, trust me on this.

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

He won’t I’ll tell you now. Coming from a guy who took George Kittle in a dynasty league before he got drafted. Took Dawson Knox last year (wait for it) and was stupid enough to gamble on Fant because my other choice got taken and felt it was a bad pick but still took a risk, trust me on this.

Go back to the old forums I wanted Kittle in 2017. Fants young he will get it together this isn't the finish product. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

Respect your evaluation but Fant has a lot of talent to work with and plenty of time to figure it out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Counselor said:

The next Kittle.

• Like 1

Firstly I just wanted to say how much of a killer it was to see Mahomes go down. The poor guy took that awful injury like an absolute G. Hope there's no ligament damage because he is simply one of the best players in the NFL to watch.

I imagine I am going to echo most of your thoughts here, especially those of @Broncofan .. I think that game was a culmination of a few things the game tape has been showing, even in our 2 wins. 

Our OL cannot hold up in obvious passing situations, especially on the outside. Paul Alexander, a veteran NFL Coach said it best about Bolles on Twitter when he said Bolles "lacks competitive poise". He plays the position angry, but like he's in a street fight (or wrestling ring ...) Simply put, he has no business on an NFL field. That is a fact.

The interior OL has been poor in the 2nd half of both of our last 2 games when playing with a lead. Why? Well, they aren't good enough to run the ball when the opposition knows we're going to run the ball. Our conservative approach in the last 2 games lead to teams loading up the run and stopping us in the 2nd half. When you actually dive into the teams the Chiefs faced in their 2 losses, you can see how we don't compare. The Colts have the best OL in football, arguably. They can inflict their will on the opposition. We cannot. The Texans possess a top 3 QB (with dual threat) and potent Offensive weaponS.  

This game was crying out for a QB who is accurate in the short passing game to take advantage of LBs not being in passing lanes. Quick slants, WR screens (NOT HB screens), etc - extensions of the run game, not running it into a box with unblocked men. Unfortunately, our QB is suited to shot plays from a stable pocket, not accurate quick hitting passes to make yards after the catch. And, obviously our OL isn't suited to shot plays from a stable pocket so basically, our Offensive personnel don't compliment each other. It's not rocket science, really.

As for Fant - those people who have been reading my all 22 stuff will know I have been critical of him thus far in his career. It's definitely a plus that he's getting open. He's clearly shown from an athlete standpoint, he's capable of playing in the league. I, however, question his aptitude for the game itself. Missed blocking assignments, poor body positioning when catching the ball and most obviously, his drops all worry me a LOT. We were reeling in that game and we needed someone else besides Sutton to step up and Fant let his teammates down; there is no point sugar coating it. He's a rookie so he's got time and let's face it, he's going to get looks because there is nobody else (Hamilton is quickly approaching 'he cant separate' territory). But rookie or no rookie, the lack of feel for the game is very, very concerning.

I don't want to talk about our Defense. They held the Chiefs to 23 points against awful field position and with multiple 3 and outs. Their performance had zero impact on this result.

As @Broncofan mentioned - Elway himself said this was a measuring stick game and he was right. It's shown that we are miles away from being where we need to be. It's firesale time. If Elway doesn't, his incompetence is undeniable and his stubbornness is having a hugely detrimental impact on this team's future.

I still don't see us throwing Drew Lock in until we're out of the playoffs for sure, so at least 3 more weeks.

• Like 4

Few hours before the game , i said Denver need to push back the KC's DL to respect the pass and the rush where they put more players to contain the Denver offense.

3 hours of the game i've seen 3 plays like this each time it works.

I dont understand the adjustement by Denver. Never (or few) play with TE or Slot WR . Yes Hamilton is awful right now but....man  !!! 

KC push the line with 2 extra rushers at each end of the line. You can't contain if you dont play short passes.

Flacco is a pocket passer but with no pocket he struggles a lot. He can't play in shotgun to have extra time. They need to put Drew Lock on the field against Cleveland.

We are going nowhere playing like this. We can say Bolles is awful Wilkinson too , Leary too bad even Risner collapsed this night. But this line can play together with no penalties if the play calling was better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, French Fan said:

Few hours before the game , i said Denver need to push back the KC's DL to respect the pass and the rush where they put more players to contain the Denver offense.

3 hours of the game i've seen 3 plays like this each time it works.

I dont understand the adjustement by Denver. Never (or few) play with TE or Slot WR . Yes Hamilton is awful right now but....man  !!! 

KC push the line with 2 extra rushers at each end of the line. You can't contain if you dont play short passes.

Flacco is a pocket passer but with no pocket he struggles a lot. He can't play in shotgun to have extra time. They need to put Drew Lock on the field against Cleveland.

We are going nowhere playing like this. We can say Bolles is awful Wilkinson too , Leary too bad even Risner collapsed this night. But this line can play together with no penalties if the play calling was better. 

Seems we typed the same thing at the same time. We're definitely singing from the same hymn sheet, especially the highlighted stuff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Seems we typed the same thing at the same time. We're definitely singing from the same hymn sheet, especially the highlighted stuff.

Yes completely. The QB is for a scheme and OL another one.

In the middle ? Scangarello..........

What worries me the most is that we clearly see the problem but the coaches not

Edited by French Fan
  • Like 1

Special teams and complete offensive ineptitude lost this game. Just a complete snoozefest to watch.

Special teams-wise, Wadman is a god awful punter. Truly don't understand how he's still got a job. Short kicks, no hang time, poor tackling on returns, just an all around mess and the ST unit was responsible for 10 points or more.

Offensively...my god there were no positives except for Sutton, who continues to shine and look like the only offensive star at the moment. Flacco was responsible for half of those sacks because of his unwillingness to move and inability to throw the ball away. It's time to go younger at the QB position, and as soon as Lock is ready, this is exactly what should happen. This team ain't making the playoffs. They will be lucky to go 6-10, so it's time to see what an injection of mobility and younger talent can do before we limp into the 2020 draft.

Bolles is utter garbage. Guy looks lost on every single play. Time to cut bait. No one on the line played well, of course. Leary is also a bit too long in the tooth to be effective anymore. Sanders should be traded, if for no other reason than it'll give some younger players more reps. I think he's got some value for some contender. Fant played horrific last night. Too many drops, too many missed assignments. That said, TEs take time, so we'll see what happens. He does get open, as George mentioned, which is half the battle, but his confidence seems shook already which is bad news. We'll see what happens.

Finally, I'm not sure it will happen necessarily, but if Denver loses to the Colts in 10 days (likely), I think you have to look hard at trading Von. Especially if you can net a few draft picks from him. It's worth the exploration, especially because Denver needs talent across the board. They may have to pay for it in FA, and may have to be even smarter about drafting it. All in all, about what I expected, because this team isn't very good. The wins the last two weeks, especially the TEN game, were against underperforming or equally inept teams (especially TEN). I don't really see many more sure wins on the table for us, if any.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Elway's the one who should be fired. He doesn't understand the concept of having a good O-line. He should know better after SB's 32 and 33.

This is odd because during his two year SB run, he had the best offensive lineman in front of him, and he also had the best RB.  He also won an SB as a GM with the best defensive in the league.  It seems like he should put that formula together.  Because if he does, then you have a team that can compete every year.