Week 9: Eagles vs Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica

EaglesPeteC

5 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Yeah I think after the 1st drive or so he was out for the game for precautionary measures. Usually the NFL is a week to week league, and things can change. But this offense, man, has solidified itself as a slow, unimaginative, mediocre unit each and every week.

Yeah we have to make some changes this offseason... We need playmakers and some youth in this offense. Guys like Jeffrey, Hollins, Agholor, and Sproles have to be replaced.

That why I don't get why people wanted Josh Gorden... The dude is so slow right now. 

Edited by Eagles $5$

Our offense has strengths. We have been running the ball super well and both of our TEs have been making plays. The issue is it is a passing league and our defense can collapse vs any good WRs. We have a formula to win football games, but that formula is super hard to execute vs top teams. At this point I think it’s likely we beat all the bad teams, but I find it hard to believe we beat the Pats/Seahawks/Cowboys as they will abuse our weaknesses. Probably finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs by a game or two. 

But again, take it week by week. If we can get a single upset and take care of business vs the bad teams there is always hope at the least. 

Wentz has to have an aversion to throwing to WRs, how can our WRs be that bad? You’ll see practice squad level WRs every week making catches in the NFL. It’s either a tough catch for Alshon or quick 5 yard throw to Nelson. Hollins is never seen, did he even play? Our WRs aren’t good, but the pass games struggles are probably a 3 pronged issue: Wentz, WR talent, playcalling/design. I have faith in Wentz, and he’s least of our issues ATM, but at least part of our offense being this boring, check down centric offense that it has become probably falls on him.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Honestly I didn't have any doubt that we will win this game, but we have to do a better job in the red zone. Those FG should have been TDs and this game wouldn't even be close. 

I'll take the win and go into the bye week.

Sorry but that's on Doug, especially the first drive!!. When you're running it down their throats, you dont pass twice when its 2nd and Goal from the 3!!

24 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Wentz has to have an aversion to throwing to WRs, how can our WRs be that bad? You’ll see practice squad level WRs every week making catches in the NFL. It’s either a tough catch for Alshon or quick 5 yard throw to Nelson. Hollins is never seen, did he even play? Our WRs aren’t good, but the pass games struggles are probably a 3 pronged issue: Wentz, WR talent, playcalling/design. I have faith in Wentz, and he’s least of our issues ATM, but at least part of our offense being this boring, check down centric offense that it has become probably falls on him.

First off, our WRs are actually just that bad. Secondly, yes Wentz has had an issue throwing the ball downfield this season, and from what I can tell it has mostly been towards the sideline. If you look at the majority of his big throws this year, they have been over the middle of the field, or the routes have at least started from the middle of the field. Obviously, our TEs tend to play over the middle of the field which is where we are strongest, but I can't remember a big throw from Wentz to a WR on the outside since DJax got that catch on the numbers in week 1(Maybe one to Agholor vs Atlanta?). Today Wentz missed on one throw down the sideline to Alshon that would have gone for 25+ easily. He was open and he just flat out missed him. Most of his overthrows tend to be on out routes or corner routes as well. I don't have numbers on this, it is just a pattern of things I have seen over this season. I could be completely off base on this but it is definitely how it feels to me.

I will say our WRs just don't get separation. It is incredible how little separation they get actually. We have guys running free in our backfield constantly, but I never see our WRs running free like that. It feels like every single catch is contested regardless of where it is on the field. Also, our offensive scheme pretty clearly revolves around shorter throws. Whether that is by design or if that is cause we lack a deep threat, I don't know but it is pretty obvious.

There is no doubt Wentz needs to do better, and I am sure he knows that too, but it is hard to focus on him when he gets so little help from such a massively important position.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Sorry but that's on Doug, especially the first drive!!. When you're running it down their throats, you dont pass twice when its 2nd and Goal from the 3!!

Sure you do, especially when your run on 1st and goal didn't do anything. 3 yards at the goal line isn't the same as 3 yards at midfield. 

Nabbs you have a horrible case of hindsight coaching. 

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

First off, our WRs are actually just that bad. Secondly, yes Wentz has had an issue throwing the ball downfield this season, and from what I can tell it has mostly been towards the sideline. If you look at the majority of his big throws this year, they have been over the middle of the field, or the routes have at least started from the middle of the field. Obviously, our TEs tend to play over the middle of the field which is where we are strongest, but I can't remember a big throw from Wentz to a WR on the outside since DJax got that catch on the numbers in week 1(Maybe one to Agholor vs Atlanta?). Today Wentz missed on one throw down the sideline to Alshon that would have gone for 25+ easily. He was open and he just flat out missed him. Most of his overthrows tend to be on out routes or corner routes as well. I don't have numbers on this, it is just a pattern of things I have seen over this season. I could be completely off base on this but it is definitely how it feels to me.

I will say our WRs just don't get separation. It is incredible how little separation they get actually. We have guys running free in our backfield constantly, but I never see our WRs running free like that. It feels like every single catch is contested regardless of where it is on the field. Also, our offensive scheme pretty clearly revolves around shorter throws. Whether that is by design or if that is cause we lack a deep threat, I don't know but it is pretty obvious.

There is no doubt Wentz needs to do better, and I am sure he knows that too, but it is hard to focus on him when he gets so little help from such a massively important position.

The one to Alshon against Minnesota where he stumbled out of bounds and also one to him against Buffalo. He also had one against Dallas but it was out of bounds.

16 minutes ago, Danger said:

Side note. I'm not usually one for resigning RBs, but I think we keep this Howard Sanders duo going for quite some time ideally.

yeah if he's down and it's affordable go for it. Not going to find a better one and we have bigger issues in the draft