Week 9 GDT: Green Bay Packers (7-1) at Los Angeles Chargers (3-5)

Cakeshoppe

To answer my own question... in a lot of these losses by LAC, Melvin Gordon has averaged like 2-3 ypc.  He's had some AWFUL games against Denver and Tennessee and such

That doesn't bode particularly well.  If Gordon is even mildly efficient, the passing game by LAC is actually quite good.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

This chargers team should be way better than they are.  Hopefully they don't figure things out.

Aren't they pretty healthy too?  How is this team markedly worse than what they were last year?

Their OL is really beat up, but did get Okung back last week. Both starting safeties are out (James/Phillips). They are a little healthier than they've been earlier in the season. I agree, they lost two games in stunning fashion (Lions/Titans) but also should have lost last week to the Bears. We should win unless we let Rivers throw for 500 yards...which could happen.  

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

To answer my own question... in a lot of these losses by LAC, Melvin Gordon has averaged like 2-3 ypc.  He's had some AWFUL games against Denver and Tennessee and such

That doesn't bode particularly well.  If Gordon is even mildly efficient, the passing game by LAC is actually quite good.

Healthy or just healthy for the chargers?

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

To answer my own question... in a lot of these losses by LAC, Melvin Gordon has averaged like 2-3 ypc.  He's had some AWFUL games against Denver and Tennessee and such. That doesn't bode particularly well.  If Gordon is even mildly efficient, the passing game by LAC is actually quite good.

Listened to a podcast which had a LAC beat reporter talking about them. Apparently, they've been giving divided attention / lip service to the running game - splitting it up between Gordon and the other guy - and its not working. Plus AG20 had pointed out a few days ago their OL is in tatters. So - supposedly the new OC is gonna give the running game a good run - primarily using the guy other than Gordon.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

This chargers team should be way better than they are.  Hopefully they don't figure things out.

Aren't they pretty healthy too?  How is this team markedly worse than what they were last year?

To your first question, no... they've played most of the season without Derwin James, Russell Okung, Adrian Phillips, Mike Pouncey, and Michael Badgley. Hunter Henry also missed a month, and they were obviously without Melvin Gordon to start the season.

They also won a crazy number of one-possession games last year, indicating that they were probably not quite as good as advertised.

1 minute ago, Lodestar said:

To your first question, no... they've played most of the season without Derwin James, Russell Okung, Adrian Phillips, Mike Pouncey, and Michael Badgley. Hunter Henry also missed a month, and they were obviously without Melvin Gordon to start the season.

They also won a crazy number of one-possession games last year, indicating that they were probably not quite as good as advertised.

not as good as 12 wins, sure very much agreed.  But those numbers predicted closer to an 8-8 team than a 6 win team and a 6 win regression.  They actually had the numbers of a 10 win team last year.

Missing their safeties seems to be the achilles heel on paper, but it's the offense that has been stinking it up.  Perhaps there is a Rivers regression going on here as well.  Double OL injuries is tough.  Missing gordon is basically meh because they were better without him than with him.

2 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

it is kind of stunning that the chargers can’t even fill a 30,000-seat stadium a third of the way full with their own fans. In a metropolitan area with a population of 13,000,000 they can’t round up 10,000 of their own. 

LA is not a Charger town.  It probably never will be.  I'm predicting they move back to SD in the next five years.

BTW, I'll be in the sea of green and gold this Sunday, and looking forward to it.  My first game, in person, since the '93 game here.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Leader said:

Listened to a podcast which had a LAC beat reporter talking about them. Apparently, they've been giving divided attention / lip service to the running game - splitting it up between Gordon and Austin Ekeler - and its not working. Plus AG20 had pointed out a few days ago their OL is in tatters. So - supposedly the new OC is gonna give the running game a good run - primarily using Austin Ekeler.

I'm not all too surprised Gordon has underachieved. He's just another one of these Badger backs that benefited from that OL...

James White is the only Wisconsin back I can think of that has had any sort of sustained success at the next level. Maybe Taylor will add to that short list...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheBitzMan said:

Nagler had mentioned that the Chargers have been held under 40 yards rushing in 4 consecutive games. That is the first time in the Super Bowl era that has ever happened. There will be a heavy focus on running the ball

To me, that seems like a good reason for the Chargers to NOT focus on running the ball.