Chicago @ Philly GDT, 11/3/19, 12 CT

beardown3231

3 hours ago, G08 said:

Let's say Trubisky shows zero improvement the rest of this season... then what? You're not cutting him. You're not trading for Nick Foles. Teddy Bridgewater had some chances to go start for teams but told them he was good in New Orleans (won't shock me to see him be the heir apparent to Brees but that's another story). What then? Just draft a QB in the 2nd round and hope he works? What makes you think there will be anyone worth a crap there? 

Because there will be? We've all actually already discussed this. A trade up is infinitely doable, as well. 

21 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Because there will be? We've all actually already discussed this. A trade up is infinitely doable, as well. 

It's a deep QB class by the looks of it so I can definitely see Bears taking a QB in next draft but they cannot go into next season relying on a draft pick to win the starting job.

Ideally that player would sit behind a capable veteran starter for a while unless they really luck out and that player is good enough to start right away like Russ Wilson.

Jalen Hurts and Jake Fromm are the most intriguing options to me. Both have the physical traits and smarts to play in the NFL.

I actually like these guys more than I do Tua, Herbert and Burrow. 

9 hours ago, topwop1 said:

It's a deep QB class by the looks of it so I can definitely see Bears taking a QB in next draft but they cannot go into next season relying on a draft pick to win the starting job.

Ideally that player would sit behind a capable veteran starter for a while unless they really luck out and that player is good enough to start right away like Russ Wilson.

Jalen Hurts and Jake Fromm are the most intriguing options to me. Both have the physical traits and smarts to play in the NFL.

I actually like these guys more than I do Tua, Herbert and Burrow. 

I'm a UGA guy and Fromm is very limited as a passer. He lacks arm strength and his best fit is going to be in a west coast offense. UGA wins running the football. Fromm is a smart kid but he's not a franchise QB at the next level.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I'm a UGA guy and Fromm is very limited as a passer. He lacks arm strength and his best fit is going to be in a west coast offense. UGA wins running the football. Fromm is a smart kid but he's not a franchise QB at the next level.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that.  He is not as physically gifted as other QB prospects but he has a lot of transferable skills and traits to be a starter at the next level.

I watched him against Florida last weekend and while he doesn't have a cannon it didn't look like he lacked arm strength.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

That is fine. We need a guy who is smart, can make a read, and will not actively lose the game for us.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

That is fine. We need a guy who is smart, can make a read, and will not actively lose the game for us.

I will add...and guy who is not gun shy and afraid to make 5 ft. passes right in front of him in the middle of the field.

I am fine with investing in a lesser physical talent in Fromm as long as there is a plan in place to win with him.

Build up the OL, be able to run the ball, let him do play action for the deeper shots so his arm strength is not as exposed.

I am done with physical tools. Give me accuracy and intelligence.

Pace talked about finding his Brees and instead drafted his Gabbert.

37 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am fine with investing in a lesser physical talent in Fromm as long as there is a plan in place to win with him.

Build up the OL, be able to run the ball, let him do play action for the deeper shots so his arm strength is not as exposed.

I am done with physical tools. Give me accuracy and intelligence.

Pace talked about finding his Brees and instead drafted his Gabbert.

If you watched the Ravens Pats game on Sunday night, the broadcast touched on that. Harbaugh mentioned how challenging it is to find the ideal QB so they decided to give Lamar a chance since "I'm not an offensive guy I don't have any dog in the fight."

5 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

If you watched the Ravens Pats game on Sunday night, the broadcast touched on that. Harbaugh mentioned how challenging it is to find the ideal QB so they decided to give Lamar a chance since "I'm not an offensive guy I don't have any dog in the fight."

If you do not have a transcendent talent like Mahomes or Watson [#firepace] then you need to build the team or the offense around them or find a QB that fits what you want.

The Ravens built and offense around Lamar.

The 49ers got a QB who really fits what they do.

The Bears drafted an athletic idiot and tried to put him in a complex accuracy drive system.

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If you do not have a transcendent talent like Mahomes or Watson [#firepace] then you need to build the team or the offense around them or find a QB that fits what you want.

The Ravens built and offense around Lamar.

The 49ers got a QB who really fits what they do.

The Bears drafted an athletic idiot and tried to put him in a complex accuracy drive system.

To be fair The Texans also built their offense around Watson similar to what you are describing with Lamar in Baltimore.

Watson is a fine talent but I am not sure he has the same success if he was put into a complex accuracy drive system as you are describing with Mitch.

35 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

To be fair The Texans also built their offense around Watson similar to what you are describing with Lamar in Baltimore.

Watson is a fine talent but I am not sure he has the same success if he was put into a complex accuracy drive system as you are describing with Mitch.

I think he would be just fine in any system. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

I tend to agree with you. It makes me question the hire of Nagy. If Pace is in the building and working with Mitch, surely he would realize he doesn't have the ability to grasp such a complex offense as this one. Wouldn't it have made a lot more sense to hire a Shannahan style coach?