GDT Week 10: Packers vs. Panthers (Martinez on an Island Edition)

AlexGreen#20

45 minutes ago, Pugger said:

What you are not considering is the circumstances surrounding the decision.  Normally I say go for it but there was a TIME issue here.  If you don't get the TD you come away empty handed and you don't want to waste opportunities in the Red Zone.  This was my lone beef about the decision to go for it at the end of the half instead of taking the sure 3 points with a chip shot FG.

No,  it's clearly being taken into consideration.  The time component turns this into the equivalent of a 4th down.  4th and 1 from the goal line is the easy choice. 

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

What you are not considering is the circumstances surrounding the decision.  Normally I say go for it but there was a TIME issue here.  If you don't get the TD you come away empty handed and you don't want to waste opportunities in the Red Zone.  This was my lone beef about the decision to go for it at the end of the half instead of taking the sure 3 points with a chip shot FG.

Agree plus the fact that we get the ball to start the second half.  Was screaming take the points.  Also they had the line stacked to stop the run.  Running into a brick wall.  It's tough to get that yard not always a gimme.  MLF says he would go for it again.  OK fine I'd take the sure points given the situation.

• Like 1

I would say that I think we replicated looks from before and after the timeout, which isn't my favorite choice. Also seemed like a stretch play, but that could've just been due to blocking miscues, don't like moving the line of scrimmage in short yardage scenarios. Execution was awful, and the false starts are getting to me at this point.

7 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Agree plus the fact that we get the ball to start the second half.  Was screaming take the points.  Also they had the line stacked to stop the run.  Running into a brick wall.  It's tough to get that yard not always a gimme.  MLF says he would go for it again.  OK fine I'd take the sure points given the situation.

Rob Demovsky:  Matt LaFleur said he doesn't regret going for it on the 1-yard line at the end of the first half yesterday but said: "I didn't like the play call; we didn't practice it for that situation." LaFleur put it squarely on himself but said he would still go for it.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No,  it's clearly being taken into consideration.  The time component turns this into the equivalent of a 4th down.  4th and 1 from the goal line is the easy choice. 

I don't understand how the time component is equivalent to a 4th down. If it was in the middle of the quarter i could see going for it. You get snuffed at the one, at least you set yourself up for a possible safety or a defensive stop with great field position. 

Going for it as time expires was a dumb decision. Take your points and carry momentum into the half, especially when you're getting the ball again right away

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

I was fine with going for it, but there was no creativity and our best goalline back was on the sidelines.  Dumb call.

• Like 3

Zach Kruse:  Final 3 plays of the Packers' first TD drive were a fun mix.

1. Rodgers extended play, finds Lazard, who makes a diving catch for 19.
2. Davante gets matched up with a LB in the slot, wins easily.
3. Split zone with MVS jet action, Sternberger backside block, Aaron Jones TD.

/////////////////

Didnt note the block during the game, but good to hear.

1 minute ago, gopackgo247 said:

Lewis sealed off Keuchly in that play as well.

that play was so beautiful i had to show my fiance. 

Bulaga, Turner, Linsley, and Jenkins also blocked beautifully on the play.

If MVS was a bit more aggressive with his downfield block, Jones takes that to the house.

• Like 1