This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

In the market for a new vehicle.

Want: AWD, sporty, suitable for two car seats

Like: hatchbacks

VW Golf R is probably #1 on my list currently. Also open to smaller SUVs, crossovers, but like the sporty aspect too.

WRX hatchback, Focus RS also under consideration. Any of you cats have recs for good or bad? 

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

VW Golf R is probably #1 on my list currently. Also open to smaller SUVs, crossovers, but like the sporty aspect too.

WRX hatchback, Focus RS also under consideration. Any of you cats have recs for good or bad? 

Was looking for exactly the same car as you recently.  Went with the Volvo V60 Cross Country.  Love it.  Also liked the Nissan Murano a lot.  Both checked all the boxes.

• Like 1

Sporty and suitable for 2 car seats is a tall order. My A4 is the tightest, quietest, nicest car at 200,000 miles than any other car I've ever owned at any mileage. But if you have to take it to the dealer to get fixed I would think twice. Never buy an A6 or A8. I just picked up a Honda Element from my mechanic for an absolute steal. It will probably go to my daughter as her first car, but I actually kinda like it. Then again I'm 6'-4".  As much crap as American cars take, my only vehicle never to see a flatbed is my Olds Bravada that I've owned for over 120,000 miles (currently at 187,000) and now use for towing / camping / emergencies. The parts are cheap and easy to work on. But the ship has sailed on those SUV's. The used market is at a really good place. It used to be that used cars were junk, ie, Cavaliers and such. Now the used market can get you CRV's, Rav4's, Jettas, Passats, Accords, RX300's etc etc. My mechanic likes the Jettas and Passats, and hates all Suburus (the repairs are always expensive) and Jeeps (junk). He actually turns away some Jeep products. Refuses to work on them. 

Edited by cannondale

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I'll watch some grand tour/Top Gear and get back to you.

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

Sporty and suitable for 2 car seats is a tall order. My A4 is the tightest, quietest, nicest car at 200,000 miles than any other car I've ever owned at any mileage. But if you have to take it to the dealer to get fixed I would think twice. Never buy an A6 or A8. I just picked up a Honda Element from my mechanic for an absolute steal. It will probably go to my daughter as her first car, but I actually kinda like it. Then again I'm 6'-4".  As much crap as American cars take, my only vehicle never to see a flatbed is my Olds Bravada that I've owned for over 120,000 miles (currently at 187,000) and now use for towing / camping / emergencies. The parts are cheap and easy to work on. But the ship has sailed on those SUV's. The used market is at a really good place. It used to be that used cars were junk, ie, Cavaliers and such. Now the used market can get you CRV's, Rav4's, Jettas, Passats, Accords, RX300's etc etc. My mechanic likes the Jettas and Passats, and hates all Suburus (the repairs are always expensive) and Jeeps (junk). He actually turns away some Jeep products. Refuses to work on them. 

I had an Audi A4 years ago too. Big fan. Not really interested in a sedan, however.

11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I had an Audi A4 years ago too. Big fan. Not really interested in a sedan, however.

Take a look at the Mazda CX5 or CX9.  Both rated very high by JD Powers, Edmunds and Car and Driver.  If I hadn’t gotten such a great deal on the Volvo, I might have pulled the trigger on either of those.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Well, I saw another disappointing movie, The Lighthouse.  The guy who cut the trailer deserves a lot of praise.  It hooked me good.

Robert Pattinson will make a good Batman though.  He is a good actor.

Did you see Knives Out? 

Whoever cut that trailer did a poor job. Wasn't excited going in, one of my favorite movies last year.

28 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Did you see Knives Out? 

Whoever cut that trailer did a poor job. Wasn't excited going in, one of my favorite movies last year.

I am very excited for that one, I really liked the trailer.  I wait to watch almost all movies at home, so I am awaiting that one.

The trailer that is getting me excited right now is Morbius.  If it is R rated... 

• Like 1