This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

California company that owns the helicopter that crashed, killing Kobe Bryant and others, was not licensed to fly choppers by cockpit instruments when visibility was bad, FAA says.

Although pilot Ara Zobayan did have the proper federal certification to fly by IFR, or instrument flight rules, he would have been restricted to observe the licensing held by Island Express Helicopters.

“Speaking generally, a pilot has to observe any limitations on the company he or she works for, regardless of the pilot’s personal ratings,” the Federal Aviation Administration said in a statement. “If a company is not authorized to conduct flights in bad-weather conditions, the pilot while flying for that company can only conduct flights in visual conditions.”

Edited by Leader

Just watched V for Vendetta.

I'd forgotten how good a film it was, how powerful. It may not play as well in the USA as it does in England, being set in London, but it's theme is universal. Rediscovering a great film is almost like finding a great piece of music, it makes you feel good to be alive.

38 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

So I've probably posted something similar each winter for the last 8 years but I'll never not think Colorado weather is crazy.

It was 74° yesterday when I walked into work. It was 7° today when I walked into work.

That’s the Rocky Mtn. West in general.  Spent the last 37 years living out here and it’s pretty wacky.  Not uncommon to see temperature swings of 15 degrees in just 5 minutes.  Love that you can see the sun crisp and bright nearly every day though.  Spent the first 12 years of my life in Wisconsin, and I remember well not seeing the sun for days on end.  Damn depressing man.

On 1/6/2020 at 3:46 PM, Norm said:

I rarely get mad but if people don't stop stealing my spot at the bar by my house soon every ******* time I go smoke I will finally go postal. Every single ******* night, I can leave 60 things on the bar, beer on the seat, anything. I'm such a beta cuck bc I just let them have it and then I'm sitting next to a world class loud stinky drunk ****. I'm legit going to start bringing thumbtacks. It used to be a joke but it isn't anymore. And I'm going to lace them with ricin

@Norm   Why don't you just take the barstool with you when you step out ?
Then you can have a seat while you smoke... and nobody can take your spot

• Like 1

Have any of you guys ever had to sign a non-compete agreement for a job?  I applied for a job and gave a verbal acceptance when they offered and then they hit me with a non-compete agreement that basically locks me out of my industry completely for a year if I ever leave for any reason.  I'm leaning toward telling them to go pound sand.  The pay and benefits are pretty bad anyway.

41 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Have any of you guys ever had to sign a non-compete agreement for a job?  I applied for a job and gave a verbal acceptance when they offered and then they hit me with a non-compete agreement that basically locks me out of my industry completely for a year if I ever leave for any reason.  I'm leaning toward telling them to go pound sand.  The pay and benefits are pretty bad anyway.

For the most part, non compete agreements are entirely unenforcable. Even if you work for someone who is willing to try and litigate it, the courts don't have much interest in enforcing them. Also there are almost 0 companies and very few individual company owners who actually want to litigate it. Most of the time, the attorney talks the guy out of it even if he wants to.

There are some versions of a non compete agreement that are more enforcable, but those are typically a listing of competing companies and not just the standard boiler plate of "you can't work in the industry".

18 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

For the most part, non compete agreements are entirely unenforcable. Even if you work for someone who is willing to try and litigate it, the courts don't have much interest in enforcing them. Also there are almost 0 companies and very few individual company owners who actually want to litigate it. Most of the time, the attorney talks the guy out of it even if he wants to.

There are some versions of a non compete agreement that are more enforcable, but those are typically a listing of competing companies and not just the standard boiler plate of "you can't work in the industry".

Interesting.  It just seems really shady to try to make somebody sign one, especially one that basically says you can't work in your industry in any capacity in the United States for 1 year after you leave.  It even says that if they decide to come after me that I have to pay their attorney fees.  It just seems like a huge red flag, which is a shame, because the company seems alright otherwise, although I suppose they all do until you get in and it's nothing but childish office politics.

Edited by MaximusGluteus

20 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Interesting.  It just seems really shady to try to make somebody sign one, especially one that basically says you can't work in your industry in any capacity in the United States for 1 year after you leave.  It even says that if they decide to come after me that I have to pay their attorney fees.  It just seems like a huge red flag, which is a shame, because the company seems alright otherwise, although I suppose they all do until you get in and it's nothing but childish office politics.

https://www.workplacefairness.org/non-compete-agreements#9

Its fairly common practice, so don't take it personally. You don't have to sign the agreement as drafted -  if you actually want the job, you can hire a labor law attorney to make a few key changes to the agreement and send it back to them. As noted above, the courts generally don't want to waste time on this stuff so it rarely gets to court. But their attorney wrote in a way to be very favorable to the employer and you can propose changes, like who pays the legal fees or
which state law prevails in the case of a dispute. The link above has some good insight

8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

https://www.workplacefairness.org/non-compete-agreements#9

Its fairly common practice, so don't take it personally. You don't have to sign the agreement as drafted -  if you actually want the job, you can hire a labor law attorney to make a few key changes to the agreement and send it back to them. As noted above, the courts generally don't want to waste time on this stuff so it rarely gets to court. But their attorney wrote in a way to be very favorable to the employer and you can propose changes, like who pays the legal fees or
which state law prevails in the case of a dispute. The link above has some good insight

Thanks for the info!  I actually told them the sections I was uncomfortable with, which were the non-compete sections and the attorney's fees section.  The rest was just a non-disclosure agreement which I have no issue with.  We'll see what they say.

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Is it ******* five yet? Everyone's all up in my **** at work today lol. One building is closed so everyone's here trying to "help"

Yes, it's 5 in Amsterdam and they're partying it up.  I'm flying to Cabo tomorrow - I'll have a cocktail for you!!!

• Like 1