NFL arranges workout for QB Colin Kaepernick

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I doubt he signs with anybody honestly. 3 years out of the league is hard to come back from and he should be past his physical prime at this point.

Josh Johnson didn't snap a NFL ball for like 7 years and started for the Redskins last season.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not debating any of that.  My point was simply they shouldn’t need a workout to see if he is worth employing as his physical ability was never the issue.

This whole charade is absurd.

I agree with you on most of your posts in this thread. However, I think a workout is warranted at this point. Was he kept out of the league for his physical abilities? Nope. But it's been long enough that this could potentially benefit both sides. If he's been working hard enough this whole time to not just stay in football shape but develop as a player, too, then he could either A) have a decent workout and remind teams what a tremendous athlete he is, ease concerns about any sort of physical athletic decline after three years away from the league and being in his thirties, B) show that he is rusty, which would validate the workout simply by proving that he ISN'T in football shape and thus his physical ability was rightly in question, or the far less likely C) he can dazzle some people and have a stellar workout, looking like not just a dynamic athlete, but someone that hasn't been away from the game for really any time at all and get signed by a team to be a starter.

For what it's worth, I like him for the Bears, Bengals and the Broncos if we're talking about a team that needs a starter either now or in the future. Yes, I know all three have young QBs and aren't going anywhere fast, but at least add some more competition and give the fans something. Heck, I could see the dolphins taking him, since they're sort of just doing whatever. 

As a back-up, I really wanted the Texans to get him in 2017 after Deshaun got hurt, and thought it was negligence by Rick Smith to not sign him and keep the Texans' season alive. I wouldn't mind if they got him now. I'd say he's probably better than AJ McCarron. He's a good option behind Russell Wilson, as well. 

13 minutes ago, Malik said:

Who is realistically going to be out there on a Saturday to talk to him and observe the practice?

NFL advance scouts, FO assistants, directors of pro personnel, etc. There's definitely people who have legit input to teams who could be there. Tape of the workout will almost certainly be available for those folks to discuss with their respective teams. I don't see why a team would want him at this point, but claiming the timing/structure of this event to be some injustice against Kaep seems to be lining up pre-emptive excuses/narratives, at least IMO.

31 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not debating any of that.  My point was simply they shouldn’t need a workout to see if he is worth employing as his physical ability was never the issue.

His physical ability towards the end was definitely in question. Kap had a bum shoulder and lost some serious weight. I think it’s fair to want to see a 32 year old whose been out of the league for three seasons. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Drained said:

Josh Johnson didn't snap a NFL ball for like 7 years and started for the Redskins last season.

Johnson was also signed every offseason to some level and had stints with the UFL and AAF.  He and his agent were in constant contact with teams and his desire to play was never in question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Johnson_(quarterback)

2 hours ago, Tyty said:

Hard pass 

What do they have to lose?  Football wise, at least.   We have to keep it too football.  Lets not crack open Pandora's Box here.

Mitch is terrible and the Bears have a playoff team otherwise.  From a pure talent perspective, it might at least be worth kicking the tires...even it is eventually a "hard pass".

3 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Johnson was also signed every offseason to some level and had stints with the UFL and AAF.  He and his agent were in constant contact with teams and his desire to play was never in question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Johnson_(quarterback)

Johnson never played for the AAF and UFL he played one game I believe. Look at the wiki, he was signed for literally a month on all of those teams and the 49ers used him to guarantee a 54th roster spot, its not like he sat on the practice squad, they tried him out for 3 weeks and left him for dead.

Kaep would be a better starter than Johnson was. Imo. He makes a better backup than a lot of people, and this is a league where Mallet kept a job until 2017

21 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

As a back-up, I really wanted the Texans to get him in 2017 after Deshaun got hurt, and thought it was negligence by Rick Smith to not sign him and keep the Texans' season alive. I wouldn't mind if they got him now. I'd say he's probably better than AJ McCarron. He's a good option behind Russell Wilson, as well. 

Bob was all pro-Trump and old-timey kind of racist. I'm not surprised we didnt sign him. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Maybe a month after he originally opted out of his contract, but 3 years removed from his last snap in the NFL I think its justified.  

48 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Why not? He's been out of the NFL for three years and has shown that, at the very least, there are legitimate questions about his desire to play again.  It would seem to make perfect sense that teams would want to do due diligence on whether he's actually been keeping in football shape prior to making any move for him.

I would add that an open workout like this is likely the best thing for Kaep. It allows any team that's potentially interested to attend, observe, talk with him, etc. without having to stick their neck out individually.

He’s worked out for teams more recently than 3 years ago.  I’m sure people in league circles know whether or not he’s kept himself in reasonable shape or not.

Don’t make this harder than it is.

14 minutes ago, Drained said:

Johnson never played for the AAF and UFL he played one game I believe. Look at the wiki, he was signed for literally a month on all of those teams and the 49ers used him to guarantee a 54th roster spot, its not like he sat on the practice squad, they tried him out for 3 weeks and left him for dead.

Kaep would be a better starter than Johnson was. Imo. He makes a better backup than a lot of people, and this is a league where Mallet kept a job until 2017

But he clearly was working out/trying out with teams/had his agent in contact with them.

I don't doubt Kaep would be a better starter than Johnson. I don't think anyone is arguing that. (1) Johnson wasn't Washington's planned starter for that season (2) no matter where you fall on the relevant issues (whether it's unfair "blackballing" or self-imposed "distractions") everyone can agree that the calculus is more complex than "is CK better than guy X." 

That all said, there are legit reasons a team may want a guy like Johnson as a camp arm/backup over CK. First of all, the money question is a bit opaque. Second, even if Johnson barely played in those intervening years, he clearly was around football and trying to latch on somewhere. I think it's legitimate to question if CK would have been willing to take a job holding a clipboard anywhere at league minimum.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Right?!

He’s not looking to play CB or WR.

He also has a rocket arm.  Even if his rushing ability has diminished, I'm willing to bet his arm is still stronger than say Andy Dalton who a lot of QB needy teams might be looking into this offseason as well...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Have...have...have you see what shape most QBs are in?  I'm willing to bet a large sum of money that he's in better 'football shape' than 37 year old Philip Rivers is...

Except Rivers game has never been tied to athleticism in the same way that CK's was.

• Like 1