NFL arranges workout for QB Colin Kaepernick

RaidersAreOne

9 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I hope he kills his workout, no way he shouldn’t have a job...

While this is certainly a matter of debate given the lack of information we all have on his current ability (and differing opinions on whether this is something that was done to him or he did to himself), if he has a great workout and-more importantly-impresses teams in interviews, then good for him if someone gives him a chance to play. Hopefully for his sake he makes the most of that opportunity, assuming he is still interested in playing football.

Edited by sp6488

I know I’m beating a dead drum and also probably opening pandoras gate but there was absolutely never any “collusion”. He’s a really good top tier backup but not a starter and was on main stream news outlets every day about kneeling. Not NFL Media or Sports, real media. Why would ANY NFL team want that much media attention in a backup QB even if he is a possible fringe starter? It’s brand suicide, all risk and no reward. And the NFL didn’t do anything to Kapernick, he chose to kneel and real News channels and American people got outraged. Simple as that.... not saying what he did was wrong, but no business wants that attention. Every team is a business. 

Now he’s getting special treatment after blowing up his whole phony conspiracy theory. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He’s out of the league for the exact same reason Tebow is out of the league. Neither of them are bad guys but the circus that comes with them simply isn’t worth it. He’s not going to be a starter and nobody is going to put up with the crap you’ll have to deal with while this guy sits on your bench. 

I get that. It’s exactly why this workout is nonsense. His talent, performance, arm, conditioning, etc were never the issue.

I have no problem with a team saying you’re too much of a lightening rod for us.  My issue is when people pretend it’s anything other than the off the field stuff.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

No, I'm not. I'm using normal terms. Calling something a low risk environment is the appropriate terminology. It appears you're trying to seize on minutia in my post now rather than responding to the actual point.

Lol wut?  You’re talking about having a player in for a workout, which teams do all the time, as a “risk” and I’m calling nonsense on your hyperbole.

Ultimately it's a headache to the team, inviting distraction and media circus for a guy that's almost assuredly not one of the 32 best at his position at this point. This type of setting reduces the potential barriers to teams meeting with him. While I doubt this workout results in him being signed, I think it's more indicative of there being some interest among teams rather than some further proof of his blackballing, as it appears to be spun ITT.

😂 “ITT”. How about “irl”.  If you don’t think he’s been blackballed (right, wrong or indifferent) we can agree to disagree and move on.

I didn’t even think this was a debate in 2019?..

Finally, to your second line... while I doubt your questioning is in good faith, let's flip that question on it's head. Did those teams benefit from the interaction? I think that's a clear no. Any time, effort, energy or attention that went into the interaction most certainly didn't result in anything positive for them. So, while it may not have "actually hurt" those teams in some clear identifiable way, those team's engaging with him certainly aren't examples of why other teams should be chomping at the bit to have worked him out individually.

You’re trying too hard.

47 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I know I’m beating a dead drum and also probably opening pandoras gate but there was absolutely never any “collusion”. He’s a really good top tier backup but not a starter and was on main stream news outlets every day about kneeling. Not NFL Media or Sports, real media. Why would ANY NFL team want that much media attention in a backup QB even if he is a possible fringe starter? It’s brand suicide, all risk and no reward. And the NFL didn’t do anything to Kapernick, he chose to kneel and real News channels and American people got outraged. Simple as that.... not saying what he did was wrong, but no business wants that attention. Every team is a business. 

Now he’s getting special treatment after blowing up his whole phony conspiracy theory. 

This guy gets it.

I get the feeling that if Kaepernick had one wish, he would be the #1 QB on the planet in 1966 and be doing exactly what he's doing right now.

His cause is just, but he's whack. He could be playing without sacrificing his morals at all.

If he can play and teams want him, then I'm all for it. I cheer for actual bad human beings on the daily. I don't think the NFL should ban someone for being an outspoken poseur.

Edited by nagahide13

With having said what I said, and the media attention not as bad as it was with Kaepernick (still will be bad though) if I’m the Bears I sign him and try to make him a Poor Mans Lamar Jackson. Their whole Khalil Mack trade was based on Mitch projected to do well. If they can’t get a cheap productive QB, gonna go down as a terrible trade for them. 

I also think if he waits to the off season, Colts could bring him in to compete with Jacoby. I know the hype train on Jacoby is big on this forum but he’s not that good.. stop lookin at TD-INT Ratio. He’s a conservative passer with a limited overall skillset who isn’t the smartest guy out there. 32nd in positive throws this year. Frank Reich is a special special coach. 

As for people saying Kaep is unquestionably a starter (actually I don’t know if anyone actually said this) Kaep is a proven one-read QB, like dictionary of one-read QB pops up and there is Kaepernick, and he also lost a ton of muscle mass entering the 2016 season which he blames on his “vegan diet” (I personally think he was juicing his butt off, had wayyyy too much muscle for his natural frame) and he lost a huge amount of explosiveness as a dual threat QB. 

Can Kaep be a decent QB with a great offensive coach? It’s certainly possible. I just don’t think anyone actually signs him. 

You never know though. Anything can happen. Maybe Brees retires and Payton brings in Kap to compete with Bridgewater. 

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, we can all have our red, white and blue stances on things, but if you’re gonna say he’s not one of the top 64-96 qb’s in the league I’m going to say you’re blind or a BSer.

Is he good enough to be an “obvious starter”?  No, probably not, but crappier players have regular, consistent gigs in this league.  I’m not sure that’s even debatable at this point.

Ability wise? Yes, absolutely deserves roster spot. I'd imagine even after 3 year layoff he is a top 40 QB talent, (probably closer to top 80 value wise when you consider age), but is a backup worth the media circus and possible lost revenue from angry fans? I suppose the NFL could still be heavily urging teams to stay away from Kaep, as it is implied they initially did, given the settlement to the collusion case, but I honestly think any such collusion (if it existed in first place) ended with the settling of the case, not to mention America cooling off considerably since it's been 3 damn years.

I definitely want to see him in the NFL, but I don't think the only reason going forward why he wouldn't get a shot is political. 

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Bears should look at him. 

First team that came to mind.  No one will be able to convince me that he wouldn't be an improvement upon Trubisky.  And Chicago doesn't have a 1st round pick in 2020 (and will have limited cap space, so if he's serious about wanting the best opportunity for playing time and not just coming in to be a backup or for the highest payday, they have leverage in their corner to bargain for an affordable 1-year/prove-it deal) as they're not going to be able to afford - most likely - the "more proven" QB's that could actually hit the FA market next March.  At worst, he can give them a bridge that would allow them to get back to where they could maneuver for a better QB draft prospect in 2021; if he's as bad as some people want to claim he is, they'll be right in contention for a Top 5 pick, great defense or not.  He has the arm to stand up against Chicago wind conditions, he has enough mobility to by himself some extra time, as they can spend 2020 more focused on rebuilding the OL (which they need to do anyway).  Helfrich is probably on a 2-year deal (pretty standard for coordinators) so that could be up after this season anyway; not like Nagy isn't the one calling the plays as is.  Bring in someone like Geep Chryst who has a history with Kaep as the OC in-name-only and you can't tell me that the combo of Nagy, Brad Childress, and Chryst can't formulate a system in which Kaep can operate.

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

I hope he kills his workout, no way he shouldn’t have a job...

And why is that? He was very below average before, if he comes back he shouldn't get anything more then league minimum. Honestly he should have stayed out of football, he probably could have collected a bigger paycheck. 

• Like 1