Week 12 GDT - Green Bay Packers at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

20 minutes ago, 49ers2015 said:

With that said, we are wanting Balt to beat LA tonight right?

Well, a win by Baltimore knocks the Rams down to 6-5, which means one more win by us would clinch us a playoff berth. 

A win by the Rams proves the Ravens are human and should give us a solid blueprint on how to beat them (anything the Rams can do we can do better).

So, cheer for the one of those that makes you happier. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 49ers2015 said:

I just wish Seattle would of lost for some breathing room. 

I'm not too worried about Seattle tbh. We'll beat them in their house to close out the year. I'm pretty confident about that after our last encouter. It will be another tough game but I see us getting the dub heading into the playoffs.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm not too worried about Seattle tbh. We'll beat them in their house to close out the year. I'm pretty confident about that after our last encouter. It will be another tough game but I see us getting the dub heading into the playoffs.

I'm hoping Nick Mullens is starting that game because we've already clinched the division and #1 seed. 

• Like 3

“Akhello had a pretty good week of practice,” 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said following the 49ers’ 37-8 victory over the Green Bay Packers on Sunday night. “Still thought he was about a week away to get his starting job back.

“It’s a matter of time before he does get that. We planned on putting Akhello in a couple series each half.”

Witherspoon played 49 snaps, while Moseley, making his eighth consecutive start, was on the field for 45 plays.

other player snap counts included : https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-snap-count-ahkello-witherspoon-eased-back-starting-role

So watched it late last night, here are my thoughts:

Offense

• This might be the cleanest game Jimmy G has had this season. The offensive line was not doing him any favors at the start, but he has to get the ball out, or throw it away quicker. That said, I always found the "holding the ball too long" Argument a bit of a two way street. Jimmy is generally pretty great at navigating the pocket, buying time and then either checking it down or getting it to the right receiver. Usually he's gun slinging to get around this, yesterday felt a bit more methodical and was willing to take sacks instead of risking the ball.  Brunskill (will talk about that later) really changed the dynamic and once Jimmy started getting time, he carved up a pretty damn good secondary. The Arizona games were his statistically best games, but this might have been his most encouraging game. Throat punched a good team when he started getting into a rhythm and iirc, was basically mistake free once Brunskill got in there..maybe one high pass. But yeah, just a solid A- from me. 
  • Brunskill has been an incredible find. Skule isn't bad either, but his injury was clearly slowing him down and Brunskill has just been a revelation. Lynch and Co. deserve a massive amount of credit for the Skule and Brunskill  pickups. Seriously, Staley and McGlinchey could've been season ending but Jimmy G and the youngsters have done an incredible job making it work. Brunskill and Skule are pieces for the future and I think one of those guys could end up being a tackle of the future.
  • Deebo is really taking off. Nothing much to say. We're looking at a guy who may end up being a multiple time pro-bowler. Just plays with anger and edge, something we desperately needed. 
  • Kittle is the best TE in the league and is becoming one of it 's faces,  I worry about him mirroring Gronk in terms of career length, but I'll just enjoy it while it lasts, absolute stud of a TE
  • Someone brought it up on Twitter, but Coleman might legit be our worst RB and that's not a bad thing. All of them run without any hesitation and with reckless abandon. they are really, really well coached.

Defense:

• Absolute dominance on every level. Probably could've been a shut out/no TD game if those ridiculous penalties don't get called on Sherman. But just a dominant performance from literally everyone. Greenlaw has been great, has no hesitation taking out blockers. Warner is a demon and is really starting to become top tier elite, Mosely, Witherspoon, Ku'ann and Sherm have just been outstanding all year (when on the field), might be the best overall unit in the league. Also, Tartt and Ward have just been on top of it all year, both have been bordering on elite too. Ward has played so well to the point where I will never doubt his ability, just his ability to stay healthy. 
  • This might be the best defensive line I've seen from the 49ers, ever. AA is playing like a borderline DPOY candidate. Buckner has been great in his own right, and is really starting to gain momentum too. Bosa, though easy to fake, is almost impossible to keep blocked for more than 3 seconds and you combine that with the fact that Jones is becoming a legitimate beast...just incredible. We could end up losing AA and not actually really miss a beat with Jones replacing him. I also love the fact that Jones can do this as a 0-3 tech. He's just so fast and so strong. 
  • we're going to have to figure out something to clear cap, but AA should at least get franchise tagged..Possibly traded with the tag. But he has been unblockable all year. That  hit on Rodgers where he dove into his hip was vicious and beautiful. 

one negative? richie James still scares the living **** out of me as a returner. 

• Like 2

80 defensive snaps yesterday, which was a season high by far. Through this first 7 games or so the defense was getting snap counts in the 40s and 50s. Last few weeks have been much higher. I don’t expect that to change in the next couple weeks, but the offense is going to need to keep the Baltimore offense off the field this week if our defense is going to be able to hold them through all four quarters. 

Hoping Ford can return because with Moore going down it’s going to take every last man to catch up with Jackson. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, straighthate said:

80 defensive snaps yesterday, which was a season high by far. Through this first 7 games or so the defense was getting snap counts in the 40s and 50s. Last few weeks have been much higher. I don’t expect that to change in the next couple weeks, but the offense is going to need to keep the Baltimore offense off the field this week if our defense is going to be able to hold them through all four quarters. 

Hoping Ford can return because with Moore going down it’s going to take every last man to catch up with Jackson. 

Yeah, the thing is yesterday we got four scoring drives where we had three plays or less. First drive was a one play TD run by Coleman, then we had a three play drive with Samuel's TD and then had a three play drive where we got a FG before half time and then the big Kittle TD also came off a three play drive. So a little flukey there, though early on we did have some quick three and outs or one first down and then the drive was done. Definitely need to keep the defense as fresh as they can be next week against the Ravens. Heck, need to keep Lamar and the crew off the field as much as possible. 

25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So a little flukey there

dunno about flukey. 

I think Shanny, week to week, just devises clever plays that he knows are game-buster successes... whether huge gainers or clutch chain movers.

He holds them close, but doesn't use em until he feels it's time to unleash. Conjures up variations of them.. shows a few looks.. then whops out the same look but with a deadly wrinkle added. 

Some of this was already mentioned here and there.. so I don't claim it as my own grand revelation.... only that I agree with it.