Offseason Work to do

mwalker

13 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not out of the question, but I really question how Brady's arm is going to hold up.    

He was still pretty good last year and now he has top weapons, but this isnt 2007 Tom Brady.

I’m with you. I’m not even sold on Baltimore making a deep run. I still need to see their offense do something. Their defense has improved, but the big question is can Jackson keep improving. I’m not so sure if he can.

• Like 2

Going into the draft, our biggest hole was NT. That’s not even a sexy pick. I enjoyed Foster’s career in Pitt and wish him nothing but the best in life after football. However, he did us a favor by retiring. Rewatching Some tape and even highlights he looked bad is an understatement. Pouncey isn’t out of the woods yet, I can understand some of his struggle next to him. The rest were really depth picks due to our lack of cap. It’s not a perfect team by any means.
Our biggest addition is Ben coming back. we know what this defense can do with their backs against the wall. Sucked seeing them get gassed towards the end. Hopefully with a functional offense, that doesn’t happen. Our first round pick is already an all pro. our missing third is apart of a good piece we got in Bush.

I wasn’t a fan of drafting a WR before the draft at 2 or even 3. It warmed up to me pretty quick then I thought it would. I really like his “part of the crew, part of the ship” mentality. Highsmith is an interesting one. He played 3-4 end until last year. I do like his first step. Definitely a lot better then chicks. McFarland is a second round talent in the 4th. I can’t think of the year, he ripped up Ohio States defense. That’s really impressive coming from a school that isn’t top 25 all the time. I’m not surprised that we double dipped in schools(seems to be a theme). With the virus, I’m not surprised that it’s the same school tomlin’s boy goes to. Sounds like him and Rell are going to battle for that $ backer spot. The other two I have to do homework to do on still to have an opinion. Still a little shaky about NT even though that guy isn’t on the field much.

on paper, I’m pleased. AFC North football is going to be exciting to watch

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

really happy with what we’ve done

really wish they’d take a punt on kaepernick as a backup to groom for post-ben, i know that it’s not going to happen but it would allow us to rebuild on the fly and continue contending even after ben

Not going to get into a big discussion over it, but Id rather see this team have 5 straight losing seasons than sign Kaep.  Just my humble opinion.

Beyond that, Kaep will be 33 this year and hasnt played a down in several years.  I see Ben playing out his contract, so Kaep would be about 35 by that time.  

Im confident a better option will be available in the coming years.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not going to get into a big discussion over it, but Id rather see this team have 5 straight losing seasons than sign Kaep.  Just my humble opinion.

Beyond that, Kaep will be 33 this year and hasnt played a down in several years.  I see Ben playing out his contract, so Kaep would be about 35 by that time.  

Im confident a better option will be available in the coming years.

this. if they want to get a veteran to keep us afloat post-ben, rather they go after someone like Dalton next yr when he's a FA. Derek Carr is another possible guy who could be made available any offseason..hell maybe even Rodgers in 2 yrs. Stafford is potentially another one in a couple of yrs

Edited by August4th
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, August4th said:

Stafford is potentially another one in a couple of yrs

This is the type of thing I would wait for, Post Ben. Baring some set back with his arm, I wouldnt bring anyone in until Ben decides to hang it up. I wouldnt go out of my way to get a vet or draft a high end QB while Ben is still on contract. 

Stafford is a good call. If Ben plays out the next two years and calls it quit, Stafford would be 34 and in the last year of his deal. Lions could save $20M by cutting him with only $6M dead cap in 22 and looks like $3M in 23. That's super doable if they are still struggling for wins. We should still have a good, young offensive core and hopefully a topline/elite defense. Its a good situation for a Stafford to sign up as an in-between to try to win a super bowl in his late 30's 

That's probably best case scenario, though. More likely to get a Carr-ish guy off the scrap heap as a 1-2 year stop gap to maximize the leftover talent while you try to find your drafted asset. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Watt's 5th year option picked up.  Not surprising but hopefully an extension gets done "soon".  

He's just entering his 4th season, right? I think we should try and hammer out a deal after the season. I think Ben will retire after his contract is up, that'd allow us to give Watt a low first year cap hit during Ben's last year. Then the hit can jump a bit the year after Ben retires. 

• Like 2

Unpopular opinion but if the $$$ that was reported is true, the Steelers shoulda been all over Winston  at 1 year $3.5 mill for which signed with the Saints

If Ben goes down for season, it’s over.

Despite his issues, Winston would of kept us in the hunt for sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Unpopular opinion but if the $$$ that was reported is true, the Steelers shoulda been all over Winston  at 1 year $3.5 mill for which signed with the Saints

Yeah, I agree. I don't know if it was true but I saw something that said he turned down a higher offer with us. I doubt it's true. 

5 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Agree to disagree.  If there is a FA QB that can keep us in games if Ben goes down, it ain't Winston.  Sure, he can throw the deep ball, but as many INT as TD... I'll pass.

I might rather take a chance with Joe Flacco than Jamies.  Or Blake Bortles... Or Josh McCown.  Or Drew Stanton.