What do you think of Green Bay Head Coach Matt LaFleur?

Uncle Buck

What do you think of Matt LaFleur?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Matt LaFleur?

• Grade A - He is the new Bill Belichick, and is largely responsible for the Packers' success this season!
    • Grade B - He has done a very nice job and is better than most people think he is. He clearly has a bright future.
    • Grade C - He hasn't blown it this year, but he hasn't really done all that much to contribute to the team's success.
    • Grade D - He is below average and is mainly benefitting from a better than average roster of players.
    • Grade F - Guy is garbage and has only won games because he has had a horse shoe up his back side and has benefitted mainly from a lot of good luck this season.

5 hours ago, TENINCH said:

You don't game plan the Packers to stop Mat Lafleur. You game plan them to stop Rodgers and Adams. It was a weak handshake but had nothing to do with his like or dislike or Lafleur

Eh. Schemes matter. I think it's pretty safe to assume Zimmer thinks about Lefleur at least a bit when creating a game plan. Zero consideration of an opposing coach's tendencies seems like serious malpractice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TENINCH said:

You don't game plan the Packers to stop Mat Lafleur. You game plan them to stop Rodgers and Adams. It was a weak handshake but had nothing to do with his like or dislike or Lafleur

Next time y’all should try to scheme for the superior Aaron who has gashed the Vikings for over 300 yds and 3 TDs this season. 

The biggest difference for the packers is that he is a new face. 

The second  biggest thing he’s done is rely more on Aaron Jones. 

They have a talented team. But he hasn’t really shown anything too crazy to where I think he’d be a solid coach. 

The playoffs can change that, of course 

8 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Sportsmanship for the Packers? LMAO!

Hope he’s better at shaking hands with GMs when he’s interviewing for a job in 2021. It won’t be for another HC gig.  Well, who knows. The Jets did hire Gase after all. 

Edited by thrILL!
FRFR

I voted B. 

I've noticed a few things thus far:

He's a fresh face that seems to understand how to win- something McCarthy seemed to lose sight of.

The team looks much more well-rounded on both sides of the ball. I think Rodgers is still capable of top 5 QB play and we'll probably see it next year. Either way, LeFleur's game planning doesn't seem to "need" all-star Rodgers to function, and that's a huge jump from recent years. 

He seems to have good rapport with the team.

They might win ugly, but they win. And for the most part, stupid things early on in this last game aside, they don't seem to make a lot of mistakes. 

Strong run game, stellar pass rush, solid LB/Secondary, fairly deep receiving corps, a QB who can make plays but still plays incredibly safe football- what key to success are they missing for the playoffs? I attribute a lot of that to LeFleur. I'm sure there's many a coach out there who would've viewed taking the keys to a Rodgers-led O and opening it up instead of sort of returning to the basics. For being a youngish HC known for offense, his overall restraint is impressive, even if it comes with a negative game or two along the way. Unlike some of the recent wunderkind HCs, he doesn't seem interested in being flashy, and I think it's paying off considering the youth at WR/RB.

If not for the Bill B part, I would've voted A. And I think people are sleeping on GB's style of football lending well in the playoffs, particularly if they manage to secure home field advantage all the way through. 

• Like 2

Gap between C and B seem too big, I'm somewhere in between there. I mean it's 1 year, so can't get carried away in one direction or the other. I'm not blown away by him since he is an offensive coach and yet I think most would say that offense is under performing, or at least didn't become as lethal as many had hoped. Their offensive DVOA actually ranked the same in 2018 as it currently does (7th), while the D went from 29th in 2018 to 15th this year. Reminds me a bit of Ben McAdoo, where the team had a huge turnaround in year 1.... but largely off the improvement on the side of the ball where the new hire doesn't specialize in. All that being said, a first year coach winning 12 or 13 games after the team only won 6 games? Cannot complain about that, and it only shows a lot of promise.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss