Most Disappointing Team of 2019

goldfishwars

Which team has disappointed the most?   

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which team has disappointed the most?

Rams season was disappointing, but we're the only 9-7 team to not make the playoffs - so really it's just been bad luck more than anything. We played well enough to win both in Seattle and San Francisco, we just didn't get it done either time. We went 6-0 against the NFCW last year and 3-3 this year - that's pretty much the difference.

This has to be the Chargers. At the beginning of the season they were considered a Super Bowl contender and they will be picking in the top 10. The Browns were viewed as a playoff contender.

40 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Rams season was disappointing, but we're the only 9-7 team to not make the playoffs - so really it's just been bad luck more than anything. We played well enough to win both in Seattle and San Francisco, we just didn't get it done either time. We went 6-0 against the NFCW last year and 3-3 this year - that's pretty much the difference.

This has to be the Chargers. At the beginning of the season they were considered a Super Bowl contender and they will be picking in the top 10. The Browns were viewed as a playoff contender.

The Rams had the highest expectations of any team to miss the playoffs. If that is the definition used for most disappointing then I can see it. Though like you said, we won 9 games. That gets in the playoffs every so often although wasn't close this year.

The Chargers winning 5 games missed my expected win total by more than anyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

@Matts4313 care to field that one? 

I was. I thought we had a superbowl caliber roster. I said anything less than a NFC Champ appearance should be considered a failure and the coaches fired.

That said, Im a dude on a message board. The Eagles unanimously where considered "the #1 roster in the NFL". So most people didnt even have the Cowboys winning the division. 

Don't get how the Chargers are this low in this poll. Chicago still has Trubisky, and I don't think many expected a big jump there. Rams were a shock team last year, a return to earth wasn't too surprising and at 9-7 it wasn't that big a bust. Browns had the hype train with the signings, and probably are #2 on the list - but they were still breaking in a 1st year HC, a 2nd year QB, and stuck in a division with the perennially competitive Steelers and Ravens.  

The Chargers on the other hand were coming off a 12-4 season + a quarterfinal appearance, had minimal roster turnover, and expected a healthy Joey Bosa back to spearhead the team right back to the same spot and competing with the Chiefs for the AFC West title. It all fell apart and they ended up with the worst record of any of the teams listed in the poll. Take a look at some predictions from the start of the year, just about everybody had the Chargers at least in the playoffs. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/04/nfl-season-predictions-2019-playoff-picks-super-bowl-champion-awards

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001044664/article/2019-nfl-playoff-predictions-afc-north-runs-through-cleveland

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-season-bold-predictions-final-record-for-all-32-teams-and-playoff-picks/

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27348060/2019-nfl-predictions

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/9/5/20849707/nfl-preseason-predictions-2019-patrick-mahomes-baker-mayfield-kyler-murray

6 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

Don't get how the Chargers are this low in this poll.

Everyone plays second fiddle to the Browns in this discussion. Everyone was ready to see Cleveland take that next step - in fact, we were excited about it for the most part.

Then, Baker Mayfield started showing up everywhere... and we all wanted it to go away.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Everyone plays second fiddle to the Browns in this discussion. Everyone was ready to see Cleveland take that next step - in fact, we were excited about it for the most part.

Then, Baker Mayfield started showing up everywhere... and we all wanted it to go away.

I get that but the next step for the Browns was a fringe playoff team. The next step for the Chargers would have been to make a deep playoff run. Yet the chargers finished with a worse record than the browns, so in my head the chargers were the bigger letdown

Chargers for me. Spent the offseason saying the Bears were the most logical candidate for regression. Everyone knew the Browns were overhyped, so 6-10 isn't far off what I think many expected. The Rams are more a case of the teams around them exceeding expectations, IMO. If not for the 49ers meteoric rise, you likely have an 11-5 Rams team in the postseason, so I don't think they disappointed as much as the 49ers came out of nowhere. But for the Chargers, while I thought we'd top them this year, I certainly didn't expect Rivers to struggle this much, I definitely didn't think the team would wind up 4th in the West, and while the Chargers have always Chargered, I think they did it harder this year than they have in quite awhile. They got swept by the AFC West this year. That's awful.

I do think the Cowboys warrant a discussion in terms of becoming a disappointment. I don't think that much was expected of them coming into the season, but how their season wound up unraveling is honestly amazing. It was almost 2010 Chargers-esque in how bad and good they managed to be simultaneously. They have to have one of the worst differentials ever between expected W/L and actual W/L. They outgained their opponents in yardage in 6 of their 8 losses. Like, if you took a snapshot of just the statistical performance of the 2019 Cowboys, and showed it to someone, it would look like a good 11 win division winner or high end wildcard. But that wasn't the result at all.

9 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I do think the Cowboys warrant a discussion in terms of becoming a disappointment.

the cowboys ALWAYS underperform under Jerry's leadership, so its hardly a disappointment after 25 years of the same exact thing
Jerry is a carnival barker - nobody takes him seriously except cowboy fans who keep buying his bluster ( and tix and merchandise)

• Like 3