You decide: Do we move on from Carr this offseason?

RaidersAreOne

Should we move on from Carr this offseason  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Should we move on from Carr this offseason?

• Yes. We know what we have and it's time to move on.
    • No. Give him one more chance.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2019/10/4/20898887/uh-oh-derek-carr-is-throwing-more-short-passes-than-ever

Good article that was written in October that discusses the reality of what Carr isn't doing. Demonstrates how Carr's game has deteriorated. I would say that the statistics highlighted in the article did not improve as the year wore on.

• Like 1

Carr plays inside the offense, you know who else plays inside their offense, Brady. The all time greatest game manager. The Raiders are obviously trying to run this team like them and build a complete team. There’s been an obsession with big play QBs but honestly the only big play guy to win a super bowl in the last ten years was Wilson and Manning. Boring wins championships. I’m fine with boring. This team lacks total depth on defense, and offense. Until they get playmakers this team will be stuck in neutral. 

• Like 4

The simple fact that someone actually suggested starting Nathan Peterman over Carr is a perfect example of how unrealistic and unreasonable his detractors come across. 

Trade up for Tua? With what? What would he do? Extend plays? You must be a fortune teller. For all we know, kids going to be Tiny Tim when he finally gets back on his feet. 

The absurdity. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Carr plays inside the offense, you know who else plays inside their offense, Brady. The all time greatest game manager. The Raiders are obviously trying to run this team like them and build a complete team. There’s been an obsession with big play QBs but honestly the only big play guy to win a super bowl in the last ten years was Wilson and Manning. Boring wins championships. I’m fine with boring. This team lacks total depth on defense, and offense. Until they get playmakers this team will be stuck in neutral. 

Brady throws in tight windows and has the best pocket presence in the league. Carr only throws to wide open guys and has terrible pocket presence. Let’s not compare the two at all. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

The simple fact that someone actually suggested starting Nathan Peterman over Carr is a perfect example of how unrealistic and unreasonable his detractors come across. 

Trade up for Tua? With what? What would he do? Extend plays? You must be a fortune teller. For all we know, kids going to be Tiny Tim when he finally gets back on his feet. 

The absurdity. 

Yeah and comparing Carr to brady makes so much more sense. People are being unrealistic and unreasonable on both sides of the fence. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ragingraider said:

Carr Can't throw the deep ball. He is athletic, but he is not good at extending plays nor does he give you any yards with his feet. His passer rating is a mirage of 2 yard completions. He hasn't been the same since his back injury. He has had one winning season, and if he doesn't get hurt maybe he is a top QB. But, he isn't that guy anymore. He can win you games. If you surround him with elite talent and a great defense he can win, but he won't be the reason for the winning. 

This sort of isn't true. Carr actually has been really proficient throwing the deep ball, particlarly to the sidelines.

passer-rating-vs-league-avg_CAR358797_20

This is all borne out when watching his film between 2016 and 2019. If you want him to attack downfield more consistently, have the offense incorporate plays challenging the deep safety. Gruden's offense calls quarterbacks to make a lot of layered throws over and between coverage and there is usually one deep route stretching the defense vertically--this is the antithesis of Carr's game. Also, like I wrote previously, Carr's throws from shotgun were among the lowest in the league this year.

Not including his rookie year, I'd argue he's had about a year and a half of truly bad play between his injury in 2017 and the first quarter or so of 2018 when he was getting comfortable in Gruden's offense. I believe Carr had is best season this year in terms of avoiding the rush in the pocket and being accurate in more areas of the field.

Also, regarding Carr's athleticism: he's a linear athlete. He's pretty fast in a straight line, but he's not really spry--think of like a stiff pass rusher vs. one that can bend. This is why he's generally had issues avoiding pass rushers and hasn't been a proficient runner. It's not necessarily a bad thing because he plays a position that is more cerebral than athletic, but it does limit how he can attack a defense.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Brady throws in tight windows and has the best pocket presence in the league. Carr only throws to wide open guys and has terrible pocket presence. Let’s not compare the two at all. 

Tight windows? I disagree, he throws to guys who are open mostly tight ends backs and Edelman. It’s schemed that way. Their offense has always been death by 1000 paper cuts and it works because their players get positive yardage and are always where they are supposed to be. That’s why it looks like he’s starting to decline, like Carr he’s had a lot of new guys who don’t fully know the offense. Gruden wants QBs who can stick to the script which is exactly what Carr is doing. He was with Tampa for 7 years and never took a guy who goes off script. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Yeah and comparing Carr to brady makes so much more sense. People are being unrealistic and unreasonable on both sides of the fence. 

I make the comparison due to their offenses being similar as well as the talent level of their respective pass catchers. 

Comparing Carr to Mahomes, Tannehill, Fitzpatrick or Wilson doesn’t work because of different schemes, surrounding talent and play styles. 

I get guys wanting a different type of QB but to be honest I’m not too sure if that’s what Gruden wants. He might want a guy who has more mobility but i think as far as a gunslinger  or someone who breaks off 30 yard runs i personally can’t  see Gruden changing his offense to fit a guy like that. 

You have heard him gush over guys like Murray, Watson, and Mahomes while stating that he wants Carr to make more plays with his legs and let it rip more often, right? Gruden will probably adapt his offense around a guy like that if he has one. Not saying he wants Lamar, but probably wants a more explosive playmaker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dante9876 said:

Talking about 2 QBs who play within a designed system and don't ad-lib while focusing on short-intermediate passing game with a balancing run game is hardly the same as saying 1 is identical to the other in all things. 

Talking about starting Nathan Peterman? That's a whole different ballgame. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

You have heard him gush over guys like Murray, Watson, and Mahomes while stating that he wants Carr to make more plays with his legs and let it rip more often, right? Gruden will probably adapt his offense around a guy like that if he has one. Not saying he wants Lamar, but probably wants a more explosive playmaker.

To be fair Gruden gushes over everybody, he pounded the table for Johnny football on draft day.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Umm Carr game took a step back because our wideouts suck lol. Ummm duh 

Tyrell Williams was one of the best deep threats in the league with San Diego and Zay Jones was able to produce with a rookie Josh Allen in Buffalo. DC couldn't even get Amari Cooper the ball and he just finished top 10 in yards and TD this season.

1 hour ago, NJ Raider said:

That's why I could honestly see us moving on from Carr for someone like Mariota.