WC: BUF@HOU

Manny/Patrick

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Not going to try to join this discussion, but I'll say that if any sports league needs a "common sense" rule explicitly written out, we should probably stop watching and/or talking about said sport.

As opposed to upholding the rules as written on the field of play and then having the referee commentator calling for "common sense" reversal? Or for backup referees (whose job, I assume, is to take the field in the event one or more of the refs cannot) to overrule the call on the field independent of a review?

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

As opposed to upholding the rules as written on the field of play and then having the referee commentator calling for "common sense" reversal? Or for backup referees (whose job, I assume, is to take the field in the event one or more of the refs cannot) to overrule the call on the field independent of a review?

They lost. It was the right call. Get over it. 

28 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

The difference is the ball became live when it hit the ground in that game. It never touched the ground today. He signaled he was not taking the ball out and gave himself up as he flipped the ball to the ref. If you don't see the difference then it's a pointless conversation

I get that...i wrote i was being sacastic. Flipping ball to referee does not qualify as giving yourself up. If that was a case a QB wouldnt have to kneel and could just toss ball to ref... or if a QB was scrambling he could just stop advancing ball and toss it to the ref. Thats not how it works. Its an illegal forward pass which woild have resulted in a safety

1 minute ago, marshawn lynch said:

I get that...i wrote i was being sacastic. Flipping ball to referee does not qualify as giving yourself up. If that was a case a QB wouldnt have to kneel and could just toss ball to ref... or if a QB was scrambling he could just stop advancing ball and toss it to the ref. Thats not how it works. Its an illegal forward pass which woild have resulted in a safety

On a free kick its not like that. The kickoff has traditionally been a more relaxed play. Lots of runners put their hands out to their side signaling they are giving up the play. Sometimes they kneel, sometimes the ball goes out the endzone, sometimes they flip it to the refs. Its a really relaxed situation that should have never gone the way it did today. If the ref catches the ball and blows his whistle, this conversation isn't even happening. All the examples you and the other poster keep coming up with are not apples to apples. Those are plays where the ball is put into motion and is live. This was not the case.

24 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Not going to try to join this discussion, but I'll say that if any sports league needs a "common sense" rule explicitly written out, we should probably stop watching and/or talking about said sport.

Please... no one before tonight even knew there was such common sense rules... if there was such a thing then Desean Jackson play should be ruled a TD instead of a fumble. And the tuck rule play should have been ruled a fumble. These "commone sense" rules didnt apply in the past so why should they apply now.

Is it really that hard to take a knee. Thats all you have to do. KR needs to stop being lazy.

Edited by marshawn lynch

2 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

This seems to be a pretty good point. If a QB went to take a knee and instead flipped the ball to the ref (without kneeling), would they rule the play dead and assumed that he gave himself up? I think it's clear that they wouldn't.

I don't have sympathy for the Texans' kick returner: you can either wave for the fair catch, catch the ball and take a knee, or avoid the ball and hope it bounces out of the end zone. He did none of these. Instead, he caught a live ball and tossed it forward. (It could very well have been called a safety, as it was a penalty that occurred in the end zone.) Either way, ruling the play dead because you presume that the returner was "giving himself up" doesn't appear to be an option.

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

If a QB went to take a knee and instead flipped the ball to the ref (without kneeling), would they rule the play dead and assumed that he gave himself up?

Per the rule book, if the QB begins to take a knee but doesn't he should be declared as having given himself. But that's a special case scenario.

2 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

On a free kick its not like that. The kickoff has traditionally been a more relaxed play. Lots of runners put their hands out to their side signaling they are giving up the play. Sometimes they kneel, sometimes the ball goes out the endzone, sometimes they flip it to the refs. Its a really relaxed situation that should have never gone the way it did today. If the ref catches the ball and blows his whistle, this conversation isn't even happening. All the examples you and the other poster keep coming up with are not apples to apples. Those are plays where the ball is put into motion and is live. This was not the case.

No its not... the ref signaled to the returner that the play is still live. When i saw it live before they went over to sideline reporter i was thinking to myself thats a fumble cause i saw that he hadnt taken a knee. Yes less people would have realized it but i realized it as it was happening.

And the ball is put into motion and is live as soon as he catches the ball. If he just let the ball go then its dead so it is the same. His action of deciding to field the kick made it a live ball. That forces him to have to kneel it.

Haven’t read through the thread but I watched every play. Refs didn’t play a part in the winner. Texans were always moving the ball a little smoother throughout the game. They had many drives stall right around midfield. Buffalos opening drive was also scripted with many new looks and a trick play. Scripted very well but a script for one drive nonetheless. 

Texans Defense started beasting led by JJ Watt. And Watson has been the second half master all season long. 

Credit to the Bills. They are a tough physical team. If I didn’t bet on the Texans, I would of been rooting for them. Their defense is nasty and physical and McDermont is a Top 10 HC. I’m not sold on Allen though. He’s always super inconsistent to me since he entered the league, and that was no different this year. He does make those throws that make you go WOW though. Allen needs to be more consistent next year and get that completion % to 63.

4 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

In regards to the "QB kneel" or "victory formation"?

Yes, specific to the QB.

7.2.1(c) = 'when a quarterback immediately drops to his knee (or simulates dropping to his knee) behind the line of scrimmage.'