Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

He needs to just come down to Tennessee on a 1 year deal. It makes the most sense for him, at this point.

I hate to agree with this, but yeah. It's the biggest upside in terms of his personal performance, and it's a team that'll go far. 

I can't say for certain it'll lead to that long term money Clowney wants, but it's his best shot at it.

8 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Going back to Seattle makes the most sense

The years Clowney had with Mike Vrabel as his LB coach were his best years as a pro - Vrabel schemed around him and put him in place to make the biggest possible impact.

His Seattle tenure was arguably his worst season as a pro, so going back there (especially on a one year deal, which seems to be the offer on the table) is setting himself up for nothing more than one year deals, year to year. With Vrabel, Clowney could get back to his All Pro ways.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The years Clowney had with Mike Vrabel as his LB coach were his best years as a pro - Vrabel schemed around him and put him in place to make the biggest possible impact.

His Seattle tenure was arguably his worst season as a pro, so going back there (especially on a one year deal, which seems to be the offer on the table) is setting himself up for nothing more than one year deals, year to year. With Vrabel, Clowney could get back to his All Pro ways.

He's also a better fit in Tennessee's scheme.  The Titans have a bunch of slighter, faster, twitchier EDGEs, and someone like Clowney would really complement them well.  He's got a spot carved out for him to do what he does best in Tennessee under the coach he was most productive under, and it's a team that's a contender.  He won't find a better fit.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Daniel said:

He's also a better fit in Tennessee's scheme.  The Titans have a bunch of slighter, faster, twitchier EDGEs, and someone like Clowney would really complement them well.  He's got a spot carved out for him to do what he does best in Tennessee under the coach he was most productive under, and it's a team that's a contender.  He won't find a better fit.

Cleveland needs a decent edge rusher, but an elite run stopping DE to play next to Garrett. He’s a perfect fit for both teams. 

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Cleveland needs a decent edge rusher, but an elite run stopping DE to play next to Garrett. He’s a perfect fit for both teams. 

Yeah, but Cleveland doesn't have the coach that got him his best years or his former Texan BFF on the roster.

And Cleveland hasn't proven they're a contender yet.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, but Cleveland doesn't have the coach that got him his best years or his former Texan BFF on the roster.

And Cleveland hasn't proven they're a contender yet.

Garrett is the closest thing he will get to Watt

but yes I think Clowney's best years are behind him, signing him even in the top 20 of DE's in a mistake.

24 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

So why would vrabel get the most out of clowney if he wasn’t calling plays there? Romeo would. 

Because Vrabel was the one working with Clowney in film room, on the practice field, etc - he'd script Clowney's pass rushing moves, much like how an OC scripts the first 15 plays of an offense; He'd refine his techniques and methods, and it was showing their last year together. 

It was a mentor/mentee relationship between those two. 

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

Because Vrabel was the one working with Clowney in film room, on the practice field, etc - he'd script Clowney's pass rushing moves, much like how an OC scripts the first 15 plays of an offense; He'd refine his techniques and methods, and it was showing their last year together. 

It was a mentor/mentee relationship between those two. 

You think he’d have the time to do all that while managing an entire team? Maybe in short bits but certainly not as much as he did as a position coach. 

3 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

You think he’d have the time to do all that while managing an entire team? Maybe in short bits but certainly not as much as he did as a position coach. 

No, of course not - but he'd be able to get a similar message downstream through his position coaches. The granular message would come from guys like Jim Haslett, but the high level "this is what we want out of JD" would come from Vrabel - which isn't a huge ask from a HC, a high level expectation.

Edit: In all of this, I have yet to hear why Clowney to Cleveland would be the more optimal destination. Money and Myles is the only real reason to buy in on Cleveland from Clowney's perspective, and are those really major decision making points in this discussion?

Is there something I'm missing?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

No, of course not - but he'd be able to get a similar message downstream through his position coaches. The granular message would come from guys like Jim Haslett, but the high level "this is what we want out of JD" would come from Vrabel - which isn't a huge ask from a HC, a high level expectation.

Edit: In all of this, I have yet to hear why Clowney to Cleveland would be the more optimal destination. Money and Myles is the only real reason to buy in on Cleveland from Clowney's perspective, and are those really major decision making points in this discussion?

Is there something I'm missing?

I’m not arguing that he’d be a fit in Cleveland. We’re out of the running on him and I don’t know enough about joe woods defense to make that argument. I’m just skeptical that vrabel can be the clowney whisperer again as a HC that doesn’t call plays and won’t be his full time handler. 

• Like 1

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m just skeptical that vrabel can be the clowney whisperer again as a HC that doesn’t call plays and won’t be his full time handler. 

Ok, that makes sense. Assume, u, me... I should know better. :)

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but I think it's evolved a bit - there's not a need for specific handling anymore, look at Clowney's last year with Houston (when Vrabel was a rookie HC). The concepts were there, the method and philosophy of getting the most out of JD was there. I think that was lacking in Seattle, which was apparent on field. Clowney still disrupted games, that is what he could do - but with the right philosophy (one that Vrabel has instilled in Tennessee) Clowney could get back into his groove.

• Like 1