Why is Cleveland so unstable?

Elky

Like the Detroit Lions, it's the lack of a modern legacy.....Hardly any fans in Cleveland or Detroit remember Jim Brown, Otto Graham, or Bobby Lane.....And since they haven't been successful in recent decades, who wants to go to a perennial loser and potentially and where your career dies?....Hard to believe they couldn't have been more successful with Saban and Belichick on their coaching staff....

9 hours ago, wwhickok said:

First of all, as a Truck Driver, let me tell you this guy is as bad a business owner as he is a team owner. Some of these Truck Stops shouldnt even be operating they are in such poor shape. Well...okay he must be doing something right cuz they're still in business and he is filthy rich lol.

Seriously though this strikes me as a guy who we all know was a minority owner for the Pittsburgh Steelers and decided you know what I can do this and I can do it better so I'm gonna go by the Cleveland Browns and make them a competitive team and beat the steelers twice a year.

The problem is,  S some people suggested he is extremely impatient John Dorsey made a mistake with the head coaching hire,  But I understand why he did it he allowed his quarterback to influence the positional placement  I am assuming because he fell it would benefit his team what he did not know is that Freddie kitchens would turn out to be completely oblivious to what it takes to be a head coach. John Dorsey bill a very good team he had success with teams in the past this it is a general manager who could have set them in the right path so unless you're gonna go out and replace him with someone like Ireland from the Saints, idk what your mentality was moving on so quick.

I don't know that Mike McCarthy is actually going to be intrested in Cleveland but I think that it would be a good hire what they need is a head coach with a strong personality and the proven capability to succeed.

Until they're willing to do that instead or recycling failed coaches and making risky hires, theyll continue to fail as a team, imo.

Well speaking of the transportation industry, let's not forget all the super crappy things he did to Mexican-Americans that didn't speak good English, taking huge advantage of them, and screwing them over, until he got sued for it. He is just a bad dude who wants to shortcut his way though life. He is the problem with the Browns, him, and him alone. As a Vols fan I know it to be true.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Elky said:

But Cleveland was still a black hole when the Lerners were in charge.

The Lerners were notorious for refusing to spend money, and Randy had a clause after his dad Al died that said he couldn’t sell for 10 years. So, he sat on his pocketbook for 10 years and then sold. 

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The Lerners were notorious for refusing to spend money, and Randy had a clause after his dad Al died that said he couldn’t sell for 10 years. So, he sat on his pocketbook for 10 years and then sold. 

That and the fact that he was never around. He was bad for the complete opposite reason Haslem is bad.

The reason coaches lasted as long as they did with Lerner is because I'm sure he didn't even care enough to show up each year and fire them and go through a coaching search

They currently have an owner that thinks he's some kinda of football guru. He clearly doesn't know anything about football. He pays all this money for analytic studies to draft this player or hire this coach and then he does the complete opposite of what the results say.  

On 1/2/2020 at 4:57 PM, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Like the Detroit Lions, it's the lack of a modern legacy.....Hardly any fans in Cleveland or Detroit remember Jim Brown, Otto Graham, or Bobby Lane.....And since they haven't been successful in recent decades, who wants to go to a perennial loser and potentially and where your career dies?....Hard to believe they couldn't have been more successful with Saban and Belichick on their coaching staff....

They could have but that was on ownership and moving the team. Modell was the one who fired BB when they got to Baltimore. 

The owner is not a football guy and he thinks he is.

I bet it pisses off everyone we interview that they have to sit down and talk football with a moron for 4-6 hours+. I see how people would be turned off by the job. He's constantly fired guys that deserved to be here and then hired/kept guys that didn't deserve to be here.

Plus, we have had absolute morons drafting for us up until Dorsey. And we got rid of him (shrug emoji).

There is so many errors though out their failure however the thing that would piss me off if I was a Browns fan is trading for OBJ or making moves like this. That IMO Is a horrible move. A waste of money, draft assets and for a position of minimal need. I don't care how great he is you didn't need him to be successful. Also a major problem waiting to happen. Get me the damn ball!

IMO that's a ego move. See my new flashy car !!!! What, I have no (OL) engine.   What are the important positions for your team and what type of players they need to play our schemes. Jarvis Landry was your number 1 go look for number twos in the draft or MINOR trade or free agent.

Edited by m haynes

Everybody seems to think Cleveland is the only team with a long championship drought.....How many good teams from the past are also having lapses in championships?....Dallas Cowboys, SF 49ers, Oakland Raiders, Washington Redskins, Miami Dolphins for example.....How many of these are considered good non-dysfunctional franchises?....Besides Cleveland, how many teams have never won a SB?....Lions, Texans, Jaguars, Cardinals, Vikings, Bills, Chargers, Panthers, Bengals, Titans, LA Rams....What have the Jets and Chiefs done since the late 60's/early 70's?....Neither has been back and both teams have zero championships since....Bottom line is, winning championships is difficult....Building and maintaining a winning culture is difficult....