Divisional Round: Seattle Seahawks vs Green Bay Packers

BayRaider

1 minute ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

Right, but the ball clearly didn't make it past the 36.

Respot the ball and measure.

The first down is before the 36, and from where the replays showed JG tucking the ball, it looks like the ball was at the 36 when he went down. 

Just now, DannyB said:

The first down is before the 36, and from where the replays showed JG tucking the ball, it looks like the ball was at the 36 when he went down. 

Right, so the spot is wrong.

What's the point of replay if you aren't going to change a spot you know is wrong?

Only a half yard, though, right? What about almost a yard? Where's the line if the pylon cam is such ****? 

It's a disservice to the fans to say that that play was clearly spotted from a ref 5 yards upfield who had the disadvantage of being at an angle.

It was much, much closer than it was called.

We all know it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

Right, so the spot is wrong.

What's the point of replay if you aren't going to change a spot you know is wrong?

Only a half yard, though, right? What about almost a yard? Where's the line if the pylon cam is such ****? 

It's a disservice to the fans to say that that play was clearly spotted from a ref 5 yards upfield who had the disadvantage of being at an angle.

It was much, much closer than it was called.

We all know it.

I still haven't seen a video of where the refs ended up spotting it, so that's not what I'm talking about. If they spotted it at the 35 1/2 yard line that would appear to be inaccurate. But giving them the first and spotting it at the 36 isn't absurd at all. It's actually pretty accurate.

28 minutes ago, DannyB said:

While I think the whole ref conspiracy stuff is bull, this is too funny not to share....

EOIQksBXsAElAWY.jpg

so, in the list of teams that have zebras as mascots, are the packers near the top with which other teams?  Stuff like this is funny right now, but the sad reality is that it wouldn't exist if there wasn't enough of a track record of such officiating. The league needs to spend on tech and eliminate  it eventually, but for now, might as well enjoy and have a laugh (with scotch today I guess)

42 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

EOITs6IWkAAA_2r?format=jpg&name=small

This is ridiculously probably the best shot of the play. 

Honestly, I thought it was a bad spot, but I don’t think it was an egregiously bad call. If you’re the Seahawks you can’t let them convert on 3rd and 9. End of discussion. Packers won fair and square, imo. Tough calls are just the nature of the game.

5 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

so, in the list of teams that have zebras as mascots, are the packers near the top with which other teams?  Stuff like this is funny right now, but the sad reality is that it wouldn't exist if there wasn't enough of a track record of such officiating. The league needs to spend on tech and eliminate  it eventually, but for now, might as well enjoy and have a laugh (with scotch today I guess)

Okay, here's what I think...

I think football is an extremely difficult game to ref accurately. It is fast moving, there is a ton of ground to cover, a lot of moving parts, and a ton to look at at once. The rules and then the rules stacked on rules stacked on other rules and points of emphasis make it an impossible task.

Now in the age of super slo-mo HD instant replay, everyone is able to see every mistake. And in some instances, even the general population can't agree on what we're seeing.

So like I said, impossible task.

I don't think there are any deep conspiracies about benefitting certain teams over others. I think maybe, if anything, there is a minor subconscious tendency for refs to favor close calls for the home team, but honestly that may be just as much something that "seems" like it could be true in my head, as it is something that demonstrably happens on the field.

I also think that fans have been told a narrative that certain teams get the benefit of calls over others, and therefore any close call that goes in that team's favor just serves to confirm a previously established bias, whereas any evidence to the contrary isn't seen in such a light, and is dismissed by the brain.

Here in Boston, everybody thinks the league jobs them on calls because the owners hate the Patriots. Everywhere else in the country thinks the Patriots get the benefit of close calls since Brady is the league's golden-boy cash cow. Neither group is right, nor are they wrong. Each side sees enough evidence to back up their belief. BECAUSE CLOSE/BAD CALLS HAPPEN ALL THE TIME.

I would imagine that you could pick 4-5 random teams in the offseason and just somehow push the narrative that the league wants them to win, and then watch for close calls to go their way during the season.

As far as the Packers specifically? I think this season it may have something to do with them being good enough to be in every game, but not good enough to cleanly pull away for a decisive win. When so many games come down to a possession here or there, the close calls will get magnified. And the team that loses will pull them out and complain. I assure you if the Packers went 10-6, I could find more instances of the Packers getting "screwed".

What to do about it? Not all of this is realistic, and some of it may have diminishing returns, but I am ALL in favor of:

-Full time refs, compensated well, and expected to be in younger and/or in better physical condition. Because they are full time they can devote more time and energy to studying the game, studying film, working on keeping the game moving and managed efficiently, communicating with their crew, etc.

-An eye in the sky for the refs, either at the stadium or centralized in new york. Someone whose sole job it is to keep an eye on the game and immediately be able to call down and reverse any blatantly missed calls.

-Any technology/cameras/lasers/etc that help measure/view the game accurately. Didn't they look into putting better cameras around the endzone a few years ago, but decided against it because it would cost, like, 100k dollars? Give me a break.

-Take a hard, critical look at the absurd rulebook, and try to streamline/simplify it if possible.

I'd love to see a few of these implemented.

• Like 2

It would have been a bit comical if the call after review was:

"After review, the ruling on the field stands"

"We received additional footage and the call is now overturned"

"The ball will be placed on the 36 instead of the 35...so still 1st and 10 Green Bay"

Nice Post Danny. 

Even as a Bears fan with no hate for the Patriots at all, and sort of a preconceived notion that the Packers get way more calls in their favor than others (warranted or not), I will say that this is a pretty good write-up. A well thought out post with a lot that I agree with. 

Especially on the statement (paraphrasing) that being a ref in the NFL is not easy based on what they have to work with. They're only using the resources, training, technology, etc that's available to them. And I think we can all agree that all three aspects have long needed to be upgraded in order to have an objective and consistent stable of referees throughout the league.

That said though, this all falls on the higher brass who continually makes the ref's jobs harder by not providing them the necessary tools that are available, and by creating more unnecessary rules and enforcements every year. Which is ultimately just throwing a patch on top of another patch instead of actually fixing the problems.

• Like 1

As underwhelming as the Packers looked at times in the regular season (underwhelming when looked at as contenders), they still went an incredible 13-3 all while their HOF QB was playing well below his ability. What happens when he starts looking like himself, as he did tonight? They become as dangerous as anyone. I’d be shocked if the rematch next week isn’t close this time around. 

14 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

As underwhelming as the Packers looked at times in the regular season (underwhelming when looked at as contenders), they still went an incredible 13-3 all while their HOF QB was playing well below his ability. What happens when he starts looking like himself, as he did tonight? They become as dangerous as anyone. I’d be shocked if the rematch next week isn’t close this time around. 

He's not playing the same defense as he did tonight next week...which is problematic. It could certainly be closer, but I'm not expecting Rodgers to be 2012 Rodgers or something.