Rams 'fire' DC Wade Phillips

AFlaccoSeagulls

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Oh no....If he didn't want to come back, I'd be OK with it. But us letting him go doesn't sit well with me.

Jim Leonhard someone to keep an eye on.

Someone had to be the Scapegoat,  sure wasn't going to be McVay! It's not like his offense Regressed or anything? 🙄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Rams were a good defense this year though I thought.

They finished 8th overall in DVOA, 9th against the pass and 8th against the run vs. the 3rd toughest DVOA schedule.

Yeah. It's a big, hair-on-fire, over-reactionary, mistake by McVay. Stupid, stupid, move. 

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Someone had to be the Scapegoat,  sure wasn't going to be McVay! It's not like his offense Regressed or anything? 🙄

This wasn't about making somebody a scapegoat. It was time.

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

As @MKnight82 said and HTTR has shown, there's going to be a battle, but Joe Barry is a 1 seed. 

I think O'Neill is worse. But Barry is sucktastic either ways.

26 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

This wasn't about making somebody a scapegoat. It was time.

I think O'Neill is worse. But Barry is sucktastic either ways.

But why was it time? I thought I read the Rams DVOA ranking was better this year than last year, like top 10 good, and pieces were acquired to fit his scheme. Why all of a sudden is it time to let him go? We won’t even get into the fact that his replacement sounds like it’ll be Joe Barry.

Dont get me wrong, I’m not the biggest fan of Saleh or his coaching/scheming ability, but we finally got players worth talking about for him and stayed relatively healthy leading to an improved defense this year. But I doubt many niner fans, myself included, would be agreeing with letting Saleh walk because he had some rough games and had years, literal years, of underachieving before this one. And again, I’m not that big of a Saleh fan.

There has to be more to this, I thought I read some where the Rams fired their, or should I say Wade’s good friend and DL coach without consulting him at all. Is there something there that caused a rift of sorts? 

Edited by Fureys49ers

6 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

But why was it time? I thought I read the Rams DVOA ranking was better this year than last year, like top 10 good, and pieces were acquired to fit his scheme. Why all of a sudden is it time to let him go? We won’t even get into the fact that his replacement sounds like it’ll be Joe Barry.

Dont get me wrong, I’m not the biggest fan of Saleh or his coaching/scheming ability, but we finally got players worth talking about for him and stayed relatively healthy leading to an improved defense this year. But I doubt many niner fans, myself included, would be agreeing with letting Saleh walk because he had some rough games and had years, literal years, of underachieving before this one. And again, I’m not that big of a Saleh fan.

There has to be more to this, I thought I read some where the Rams fired their, or should I say Wade’s good friend and DL coach without consulting him at all. Is there something there that caused a rift of sorts? 

McVay wanted to go a different, younger direction, and most of us fans were expecting it after Wade's defense laid eggs in big games down the stretch. Also, I'm not buying that it's Joe Barry until the words have come out of McVay's mouth.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

McVay wanted to go a different, younger direction, and most of us fans were expecting it after Wade's defense laid eggs in big games down the stretch. Also, I'm not buying that it's Joe Barry until the words have come out of McVay's mouth.

Gotcha, well as a niners fan I’m pulling for Barry. I’m just a fan of Wade and curious. 

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

This guy's career is bizarre.  He always comes in and upgrades a defense year 1, then a few years down the line all of his guys turn on him, the defense collapses and he gets fired.  

He might be like Larry Brown, head coach in the NBA.  Might be a rough and tough coach that eventually rubs players the wrong way and he needs a change of scenery. 

8 minutes ago, showtime said:

He might be like Larry Brown, head coach in the NBA.  Might be a rough and tough coach that eventually rubs players the wrong way and he needs a change of scenery. 

Opposite. He's too laid back. Players love him, but his units end up lacking discipline and structure the longer he stays.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, showtime said:

lol. 

Its the exact opposite. He has no discipline and is best friends with anyone. His training camp for the Cowboys was labeled "Camp Cupcake" by the media. 

• Like 1