Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Man, I think the bit I find hardest is that if a divisional rival (Colts) gets a QB after they pass at the position. If that dude hits - nobody keeping is keeping their job. You’re done.

Nah, people are overstating this. They aren't going to can Ryans after one year just because a rookie QB played well for the Colts. He's probably got a decent leash with which to work and by year three you can make a determination on his future employment based on his own results in the standings regardless of how well that QB plays for the Colts. 

Nobody cares (at least not from a Ryans employment standpoint) if the Colts got a franchise QB is the Texans are in the AFC championship or 2 time division winners by year 3. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nah, people are overstating this. They aren't going to can Ryans after one year just because a rookie QB played well for the Colts. He's probably got a decent leash with which to work and by year three you can make a determination on his future employment based on his own results in the standings regardless of how well that QB plays for the Colts. 

Nobody cares (at least not from a Ryans employment standpoint) if the Colts got a franchise QB is the Texans are in the AFC championship or 2 time division winners by year 3. 

Yep. Not to mention, you don't take a QB because he might go to another team and end up being a franchise player. You take him because you believe he's a franchise player. There's a difference.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Yep. Not to mention, you don't take a QB because he might go to another team and end up being a franchise player. You take him because you believe he's a franchise player. There's a difference.

But if you pass on the guy at the top of the draft who DOES end up being a franchise player and your QB situation remains garbage, then that GM is mostly likely not long for his job.

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

Think he was talking about the GM, not the coach

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not talking about Ryans lol 

Just now, goldfishwars said:

Oh for sure, Caserio is running that ship right now. 

I wouldn't be so sure about that. 

Ryans had all the negotiating power in the world and Caserio was like, "oh, I'll step aside if that is what the new coach wants'. 

If you're not going to let Ryans build the team in the way he wants, that's a pretty sizeable flag for him to take that job. Caserio is getting fired before Ryans, so I'm not sure why the former has the power in this regard

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. 

Ryans had all the negotiating power in the world and Caserio was like, "oh, I'll step aside if that is what the new coach wants'. 

If you're not going to let Ryans build the team in the way he wants, that's a pretty sizeable flag for him to take that job. Caserio is getting fired before Ryans, so I'm not sure why the former has the power in this regard

I would imagine his leverage would have been in money and job security assurances. I doubt any first year head coach would be demanding control over personnel, at least not from the get-go. Regards to Caserio, I think he still has a good amount of security and control, but in year three he has to deliver the team a quarterback. 

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

I would imagine his leverage would have been in money and job security assurances. I doubt any first year head coach would be demanding control over personnel, at least not from the get-go. Regards to Caserio, I think he still has a good amount of security and control, but in year three he has to deliver the team a quarterback. 

We see coaches do that all the time? Matt Rhule had control. Shanny had control. Doesn't mean that they have to exercise it (shanny did), but they may want say over the sweeping strategy (IE, Ryans wants to go defense if Young is not available) 

Caserio has been on the hot seat and when you're telling people that you would move aside for a new coach if they wanted you to (multiple times), I don't think your position is super strong. 

the problem with Houston is that they have people on very different timelines and that makes everything on the table because we simply don't know 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I always kind of got a chuckle out of this urban legend. There have been exactly 3 OSU QB's taken in the first round.

Art Schlichter: Cocaine and Gambling; Off the field bust

Dwayne Haskins: Mid first round pick, 3rd QB taken overall

Justin Fields: 4th QB taken overall, not a Top 10 selection

So, I guess I don't really see what OSU QB's they've had other than Art who've been drafted highly or how that's an OSU QB thing? It's not like the old Jeff Tedford QB thing before Rodgers or even Lincoln Riley, who had Baker and Kyler go #1 overall and underwhelm, albeit Hurts helps that exponentially.

Two recent ones have been drafted in the first round, and both have serious questions about information processing. Until someone proves to be able to do it at the NFL level, the concern is there. The play in a simplistic offense with some of the great WR corps in college football history.