New Derek Carr thread

Silver&Black88

7 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Darn bucky went in on his coworkers lil brother. That's tough. He must really feel that way. 

I like how he said “nothing on tape” meaning he has film to support his statement. Facts not emotions or beliefs but stone cold facts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I like how he said “nothing on tape” meaning he has film to support his statement. Facts not emotions or beliefs but stone cold facts.

Well he’d be a pretty terrible analyst if he didn’t watch tape. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Bucky is not great at evaluating film, though. He infamously called Khalil Mack a complimentary pass rusher and said the Colts should trade away Luck because the Colts were better with Brissett.

https://goldengatesports.com/2015/04/13/bucky-brooks-doesnt-buy-into-the-khalil-mack-hype/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001069414/article/bears-must-think-beyond-mitch-trubisky-jacoby-brissetts-time

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Exactly. If Brooks have seen it then you know Mayock, Gruden and co have seen it more. Carr has the 2nd worst starting record in NFL history for a reason.

News daily just gets better and better about Carr and a NEW Starting QB next year

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

Bucky is not great at evaluating film, though. He infamously called Khalil Mack a complimentary pass rusher and said the Colts should trade away Luck because the Colts were better with Brissett.

https://goldengatesports.com/2015/04/13/bucky-brooks-doesnt-buy-into-the-khalil-mack-hype/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001069414/article/bears-must-think-beyond-mitch-trubisky-jacoby-brissetts-time

I agree, Bucky is one of my least favorite media scouts by far. Some of his takes over the years has been off by a country mile.

However, the point is, this is indeed how almost all non-Raider fans look at Carr. Mediocre. They have zero bias. Which the Carr supporters can't seem to admit any flaws in him. He's massively conservative, been that way since college, below average pocket presence, below average football IQ, limited mobility, will only throw to wide open targets, and he is terrible under pressure unless it's just a play here and there, under consistent pressure he loses all confidence.

He's very mediocre.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I agree, Bucky is one of my least favorite media scouts by far. Some of his takes over the years has been off by a country mile.

However, the point is, this is indeed how almost all non-Raider fans look at Carr. Mediocre. They have zero bias. Which the Carr supporters can't seem to admit any flaws in him. He's massively conservative, been that way since college, below average pocket presence, below average football IQ, limited mobility, will only throw to wide open targets, and he is terrible under pressure unless it's just a play here and there, under consistent pressure he loses all confidence.

He's very mediocre.

I think he has very high football iq. Matter of fact I think he is so cerebral he over thinks things to the point where he’d rather take the easy way out aka high percentage throws vs trusting his arm and reads and trying to thread some needles. I’ve seen so many qbs become head cases by over thinking things. Some of his best throws imo last year were low percentage where he trusted his arm.

imo the bengals game broke his confidence and the jets game just killed whatever confidence he had left especially after being benched. He never recovered from being benched. Green Bay was different. Jets was supposed to be a winnable game and he played horrible.

Carr isn’t mentally tough. Qbs have to have thick skin. Carr is just too soft mentally. 

2 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I think he has very high football iq. Matter of fact I think he is so cerebral he over thinks things to the point where he’d rather take the easy way out aka high percentage throws vs trusting his arm and reads and trying to thread some needles. I’ve seen so many qbs become head cases by over thinking things. Some of his best throws imo last year were low percentage where he trusted his arm.

imo the bengals game broke his confidence and the jets game just killed whatever confidence he had left especially after being benched. He never recovered from being benched. Green Bay was different. Jets was supposed to be a winnable game and he played horrible.

Carr isn’t mentally tough. Qbs have to have thick skin. Carr is just too soft mentally. 

Disagree. He has the lowest wonderlic score for QBs in the league only ahead of Lamar Jackson for a reason. He’s not the brightest guy on the field. His situational awareness is just laughable. He has good process speed but a smart QB wouldn’t overthink or complicate things. 

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Disagree. He has the lowest wonderlic score for QBs in the league only ahead of Lamar Jackson for a reason. He’s not the brightest guy on the field. His situational awareness is just laughable. He has good process speed but a smart QB wouldn’t overthink or complicate things. 

His intelligence is what a lot of his teammates and even Mayock have cited as a positive for him. Guys have mentioned that about as much as he’s a good guy. These guys watch the film and they know the plays that are called. We can speculate all we want but the truth is we don’t know what’s called. 

I think Carr waits for guys to be wide open because he doesn’t trust them enough to get 50-50 balls. It makes sense because Waller was having a big season until he was taken out defensively, Carr’s backup options where guys he hadn’t played with very much. This offense is based on making scheduled throws and getting positive yards. It’s all very meticulous a precise which is why when they get a false start or a hold the drive is pretty much over. I think this is a product of a bad defense and no vertical playmakers. When you have a good defense you can take more risks because you can potentially get more bites at the apple. If you got legit playmakers who can take the top off defenses you can throw deep every now and then. They Raiders are very deficient in these areas which is why they’re targeting defense and WRs in the draft. If Carr stays i expect the offense to look a little different next season than this season. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:
11 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Darn bucky went in on his coworkers lil brother. That's tough. He must really feel that way. 

Hardly facts, its an opinion based off watching some game film. Whilst Bucky Brooks opinion carries some weight, its still a subjective opinion. Just like the opinion if Dak varies wildly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

He's very mediocre.

Dont agree with this at all, just totally incorrect.

Pretty much every one here knows he has faults and readily admit them. Some are obvious, some we think can be schemed out, some improved and some will always be there, the difference is we dont see every other QB as an improvement, we see their faults too. Sometimes its better the devil you know.

Can we improve upon Carr? Yes.

Will we be able to easily? Maybe, maybe not.

Can we get worse than Carr? Most assuredly yes.

What irks me, and I guess a few others Bay Raider is that you're clearly a reasonably informed poster, raising some great points, well written and interesting takes, however its things like the above which are just nonsense and you must know that and post it anyway just to be inflammatory, either that or its dishonest. I trust it's the former. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chali21 said:

I think Carr waits for guys to be wide open because he doesn’t trust them enough to get 50-50 balls. It makes sense because Waller was having a big season until he was taken out defensively, Carr’s backup options where guys he hadn’t played with very much. This offense is based on making scheduled throws and getting positive yards. It’s all very meticulous a precise which is why when they get a false start or a hold the drive is pretty much over. I think this is a product of a bad defense and no vertical playmakers. When you have a good defense you can take more risks because you can potentially get more bites at the apple. If you got legit playmakers who can take the top off defenses you can throw deep every now and then. They Raiders are very deficient in these areas which is why they’re targeting defense and WRs in the draft. If Carr stays i expect the offense to look a little different next season than this season. 

He has always played like this. It was his evaluation in college also. I dont buy the talent around him or the defense is bad. I can pull up a college evaluation highlighting the same stuff fans complain about with him today. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Dont agree with this at all, just totally incorrect.

Pretty much every one here knows he has faults and readily admit them. Some are obvious, some we think can be schemed out, some improved and some will always be there, the difference is we dont see every other QB as an improvement, we see their faults too. Sometimes its better the devil you know.

Can we improve upon Carr? Yes.

Will we be able to easily? Maybe, maybe not.

Can we get worse than Carr? Most assuredly yes.

What irks me, and I guess a few others Bay Raider is that you're clearly a reasonably informed poster, raising some great points, well written and interesting takes, however its things like the above which are just nonsense and you must know that and post it anyway just to be inflammatory, either that or its dishonest. I trust it's the former. 

This is a great post which accurately portrays some of the more realistic Carr supporters. 

He has flaws and I know he could be upgraded but how and with who? Fitzpatrick is staying in Miami. Tannehill is probably going to resign with Tennessee. Who’s left? Brady maybe. Winston and Mariota? Those could either be a lateral move or a step back. You might save money with them. You certainly won’t with Brady. 

In the draft the Raiders are going to miss out on the top prospects which leaves a bunch of guys who are going to need time on the bench. Carr would still be the starter regardless. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

He has always played like this. It was his evaluation in college also. I dont buy the talent around him or the defense is bad. I can pull up a college evaluation highlighting the same stuff fans complain about with him today. 

Really? I seem to recall that the negative on him was how he handled pressure in the pocket which is fair. 

There have been plenty of times in his career that he has gunned passes in to WRs. The back shoulder fade to Crabtree was his go to for a couple of seasons.  Heck he’s even done it this year with Renferow towards the end of the season. Does he do it often? Nope. Should he do it more? Yes he should and I think he will. 

• Like 1

https://nationalfootballpost.com/evaluating-the-evaluation-of-derek-carr/

Weaknesses: Accuracy on deep passes, Touch in all areas of the field, Drops from Center, Reading progression, Foot speed, accuracy under pressure, Anticipating WR getting open.

Overall Impression: Excels in a quick passing offense and in throwing short to intermediate routes but struggles with accuracy on deep passes. He has a tendency to sail or loft passes when throwing deep and can only hit guys deep if they are wide open. Plays in an offense where he only reads half the field and needs to learn how to read the progression of routes and the entire field if he is expected to excel on the next level.

• Like 2