New Derek Carr thread

Silver&Black88

Loved this paragraph form that article:

The bulk of the starting quarterbacks in the NFL are in the workable category. They need a strong supporting cast around them to help them reach their full potential; they need all three phases (offense, defense, special teams) to play well. They appear at times to be an “elite” player, but in reality, the system helps showcase their skills. As a result, these players tend to get paid as though they’re elite, which is a killer for any general manager. (For example, the Rams made Jared Goff a top-five paid player at his position.) Paying the workable quarterback an elite salary has become the norm in the NFL as many teams ask, “how could we find anyone better?” They won’t find anyone better if they never look. Of course, some workable quarterbacks have won Super Bowls, but the general manager and head coach still must know precisely the difference between elite and workable. The Chiefs clearly understood — and never stopped looking.

I've always maintained never stop looking. KC is going to win multiple Superbowls with Mahomes at QB. The Raiders need to find better than workable. 

many teams ask, “how could we find anyone better?” They won’t find anyone better if they never look.

Bingo!! Mahomes in the AFC West changed everything for every team in that division. Can’t be afraid of change can’t be afraid of drafting a QB. Veach did his homework on Mahomes and believed in him like no other. Do ur homework and take a chance. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

many teams ask, “how could we find anyone better?” They won’t find anyone better if they never look.

Bingo!! Mahomes in the AFC West changed everything for every team in that division. Can’t be afraid of change can’t be afraid of drafting a QB. Veach did his homework on Mahomes and believed in him like no other. Do ur homework and take a chance. 

22 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I've always maintained never stop looking. KC is going to win multiple Superbowls with Mahomes at QB. The Raiders need to find better than workable. 

Agreed, but Carr at 20 mil is not being paid elite money anymore. Far from it.

if Carr’s contract was up and he was asking for 30+ see ya. 
but at 20 mil, it gives us a lot of ability to go after FAs 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You don’t know that. Historically speaking the elite QBs haven’t won multiple QBs. Steve Young won one by himself, Peyton got 2, Rodgers 1, Stabler 1, Brees 1, Wilson 1. Winning 1 super bowl is hard 2 is even harder. I mean you got guys who luck into 2 like Eli and Plunkett. Mahomes is fantastic and I’m not dumb enough to say he’s going to bust but there are other teams that can rise up especially if Mahomes contract hamstrings KC. Building a team is pretty damn hard to do in this day and age and it’s why the Patriots have won multiple because they had Brady as an advantage a good QB on a cheap contract. FA creates a ton of parity and I’m sure we’ll see that at play as the years go on. Honestly i could see teams trying to stay on rookie QB contracts it gives teams a massive advantage when they can just add talent at other positions and have a loaded team. KC, PHI and SEA all won Super Bowls with loaded teams and good QBs on rookie contracts. Now that PHI and SEA have QBs on their second contracts they haven’t been able to get back to the Super Bowl. I can foresee the same happening to KC. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Agreed, but Carr at 20 mil is not being paid elite money anymore. Far from it.

if Carr’s contract was up and he was asking for 30+ see ya. 
but at 20 mil, it gives us a lot of ability to go after FAs 

Exactly

• Like 2

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Here’s the full thing from his article in the Athletic 

Meanwhile the Raiders, for all their messages about loving Carr, have been working behind the scenes to find a replacement. I have written several times about the disconnect between Carr and Raiders head coach Jon Gruden and this quarterback market is too tempting for Gruden to ignore. Carr has trade value, which is why everyone from the Raiders always says beautiful things about his future when speaking publicly. But Carr has no future in Las Vegas and Gruden will do everything in his power to fix the position. Will Brady entertain Vegas? It’s hard for me to see Gruden and Brady co-existing even though both men have a competitive drive. The Raiders’ offensive line would be appealing to Brady, but would he be willing to run the West Coast offense after so many years in his offense? Call me skeptical.

—I could see the Raiders making a move for Ryan Tannehill if the Titans do not franchise him. Tannehill would give Gruden the athlete he covets at the position, a player capable of making something out of nothing when the play breaks down. Would Tannehill serve as a good bridge player? Yes, though that’s nothing to get too excited about in the long term, because to beat the Chiefs and Mahomes in the AFC West, Gruden is going to need to find his elite player of the future, not just a bridge.

Lombardi takes are legitimate and this makes sense. Gruden is 10-21 on a 100 million contract

5 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Lombardi takes are legitimate and this makes sense. Gruden is 10-21 on a 100 million contract

I like Tannehill and think he’d be a great fit but I believe he is getting Franchised. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I agree that you should never stop looking and I can get behind wanting to get better than workable but would getting rid of Carr for Tannehill as suggested be a good move? Is Tannehill better than workable? I can’t see the logic in that move whatsoever. 

• Like 1

Over nearly the last two decades, The super bowl has been won by teams who have QBs on rookie contracts or a Hall of fame caliber QB at the helm. That's the trend in the current in the NFL and the formula for a super bowl

Mahomes is on a rookie contract and is off to a HOF career. 

I believe you are worse off with Tannhehill at 30+ mil then DC at 20 mil.

then there is the learning the new system, which may take time. 
If the raiders feel the need to move on, I hope it’s in the draft. Hopefully they don’t have to sell a lot of our capital to move up. 
if they do, so be it, and I will support it, but it’s not what I would do. But I am not a gm or scout so I’ll let my blind faith and trust talk me into being the right move haha

• Like 3