New Derek Carr thread

Silver&Black88

On 2/7/2020 at 2:21 PM, bucksavage1 said:

That was almost 20 years ago Dilfer won that Super Bowl. Different time and age now

But you right about Carr. We need a better QB

Peyton Manning in 2016 was probably the worst Super Bowl-winning QB I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Here is all I know Mahomes is a Frankenstein monster at QB and Chiefs won the lottery when they traded up for him. The Chiefs roster overall is solid but nothing amazing. Mahomes is a complete freak and is going to be a terror for a long time. Mark Davis better approach building this team the right way. Don't do what the Jets, Bills and Dolphins did the whole time New England had Tom Brady. Its been like 18 years of misery for that division. We can not change coaches, we can not waste draft picks and raiders need to find a QB who can go blow for blow with Mahomes. I hate to say it because I like Carr but its painfully obvious he is not that guy. He could barely beat the Chiefs when they had Alex Smith.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, raidersedge said:

Here is all I know Mahomes is a Frankenstein monster at QB and Chiefs won the lottery when they traded up for him. The Chiefs roster overall is solid but nothing amazing. Mahomes is a complete freak and is going to be a terror for a long time. Mark Davis better approach building this team the right way. Don't do what the Jets, Bills and Dolphins did the whole time New England had Tom Brady. Its been like 18 years of misery for that division. We can not change coaches, we can not waste draft picks and raiders need to find a QB who can go blow for blow with Mahomes. I hate to say it because I like Carr but its painfully obvious he is not that guy. He could barely beat the Chiefs when they had Alex Smith.

It's just difficult to find a QB that can go blow for blow with him. Unless we're going to leverage most of our draft capital to move up, which honestly I wouldn't mind.

19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's just difficult to find a QB that can go blow for blow with him. Unless we're going to leverage most of our draft capital to move up, which honestly I wouldn't mind.

Here's my question. Let's say you leverage all that draft capital and you do move up.

What if "the guy" is an upgrade, but not substantially so? How do you beat the Chiefs then?

Our roster still isn't as good so you would still need our qb to OUTPLAY Mahomes to make up for the roster deficiencies. It doesn't really sound like a recipe for success.

15 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Here's my question. Let's say you leverage all that draft capital and you do move up.

What if "the guy" is an upgrade, but not substantially so? How do you beat the Chiefs then?

Our roster still isn't as good so you would still need our qb to OUTPLAY Mahomes to make up for the roster deficiencies. It doesn't really sound like a recipe for success.

You can make that claim about every position you draft. What if this player isnt better than the previous?. That's sports. Cant sit idle and not believe you can't upgrade and develop something better than what we have. Because what we have in Carr isn't enough. Pointing the finger at upgrading the team isn't sustainable. Mahomes just torched the best defense in the NFL like it didnt matter 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We've already seen that Carr isn't the answer. So unless he breaks the Carr's record of most losses ever, it's an upgrade. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, raidersedge said:

Great Post. And a forward-thinking mindset. We have the best QB in the NFL in our division and cannot sit pat. Learning lessons from the AFC East is important 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

We've already seen that Carr isn't the answer. So unless he breaks the Carr's record of most losses ever, it's an upgrade. 

This is what happens when I debate here. I get an inane response. Did you even read what I wrote? I said, we are leveraging all that draft capital. What if the qb we draft is not a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade?

Wins aren’t a ******* qb stat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

This is what happens when I debate here. I get an inane response. Did you even read what I wrote? I said, we are leveraging all that draft capital. What if the qb we draft is not a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade?

Wins aren’t a ******* qb stat.

Almost any QB is a substantial upgrade over Carr... you realize our blowouts are because Carr plays like a scared b**** and keeps the defense on the field forever right?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

You can make that claim about every position you draft. What if this player isnt better than the previous?. That's sports. Cant sit idle and not believe you can't upgrade and develop something better than what we have. Because what we have in Carr isn't enough. Pointing the finger at upgrading the team isn't sustainable. Mahomes just torched the best defense in the NFL like it didnt matter 

He was held in check for 3 and a half qtrs, but yea those guys can go off at any moment. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Almost any QB is a substantial upgrade over Carr... you realize our blowouts are because Carr plays like a scared b**** and keeps the defense on the field forever right?

That’s just not true 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

nope, if he does terrible, and doesnt make it 2 years in the league.. he wont break the most losses record.. and would have performed worse. 
I dont think people understand that while Carr may have the most losses in their first 7 years or whatever that stat was, to make it 7 years in the NFL is impressive.. a lot of QBs we could draft wont last, and therefore are worse, but dont have a shot at that record lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

He was held in check for 3 and a half qtrs, but yea those guys can go off at any moment. 

I think a better take is he was held in check for the first quarter, blew up in the second, and when our offense could not respond they shut it down a little combined with our defense remembering they are professionals.  If Carr leads the offense for a couple scores and makes a game of it then KC would have put at least 10 more points.  Our defense did play well for 3 quarters that game though.

Having a rotating door at QB is the AFC East model.

Under my evaluation, Carr is as good a player as Garoppollo. They're different players, but I believe Carr is at least just as good. Garoppollo, playing with an elite defensive line and playcaller, was a completion away from beating Mahomes and: an elite playcaller in Reid, an elite receiver and tight end, and a playmaking defense if Jones returns.

The question then becomes: is playing the QB lottery a better move than making the rest of the team better? Right now, the Raiders have a great running game, an elite tight end, and the worst defensive roster to play against Mahomes (we have one good pass rusher and a near league-worst secondary).

I've said this before, but the only QB within range who I think might be a rising tide-type player is Jacob Eason. He's got a field tipping arm and is good enough in other respects to make a difference over Carr. Otherwise, I'm seeing a player who I project as being worse than Carr (Love, Fromm, Herbert) or out of range and risky considering the team's needs (Tua, Burrow).

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 5