New Derek Carr thread

Silver&Black88

53 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I think a better take is he was held in check for the first quarter, blew up in the second, and when our offense could not respond they shut it down a little combined with our defense remembering they are professionals.  If Carr leads the offense for a couple scores and makes a game of it then KC would have put at least 10 more points.  Our defense did play well for 3 quarters that game though.

I was talking about the SB 

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I just worry that an investment into WRs will not yield much. Carr doesn't like to throw downfield so any rookie WR is going to be limited having Carr as his QB. We saw it with Cooper, why should we wait to see it with Jeudy or Lamb?

Lamb and Jeudy are talked up as YAC monsters.  Like, get it in their hands and let me feast kind of players.  I don't recall if Cooper was the same kind of talent.  I mean, yea he had some nice moves after the catch but was he on the same level YAC as these two?  Honestly cannot recall.  I remember vividly he was compared to Reggie Wayne who was not a great YAC machine.  

19 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I just worry that an investment into WRs will not yield much. Carr doesn't like to throw downfield so any rookie WR is going to be limited having Carr as his QB. We saw it with Cooper, why should we wait to see it with Jeudy or Lamb?

Then the Raiders draft a QB

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I don't like this take. Why pass on a couple elite WR prospects because a QB who may or may not be on our roster in a seasons time might not use them well? Those two would be foundational pieces on O for a long time and Carr isn't considered the same by most.

I'll also note that both WR's are very pro-ready and excellent YAC guys. Even with the downfield limitations he has, Carr would be able to find them in the slot and short.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't like this take. Why pass on a couple elite WR prospects because a QB who may or may not be on our roster in a seasons time might not use them well? Those two would be foundational pieces on O for a long time and Carr isn't considered the same by most.

I'll also note that both WR's are very pro-ready and excellent YAC guys. Even with the downfield limitations he has, Carr would be able to find them in the slot and short.

I didn't say pass on the WR prospects. I was implying the raiders need a QB who can help them reach their potential.

19 minutes ago, Totty said:

Lamb and Jeudy are talked up as YAC monsters.  Like, get it in their hands and let me feast kind of players.  I don't recall if Cooper was the same kind of talent.  I mean, yea he had some nice moves after the catch but was he on the same level YAC as these two?  Honestly cannot recall.  I remember vividly he was compared to Reggie Wayne who was not a great YAC machine.  

But rookies especially wr’s need a qb to give them chances to get their feet wet in the nfl. Especially wrs operating on the outside. Open or not. Carr just doesn’t want to or isn’t going to test tight windows anymore. I can’t see any wr wanting carr as their qb. You will lose $ being Carr’s wr.

Cooper was special in the open field One of the best and could cut on a dime. Cooper made carr 100+million $’s. Now Cooper is helping dak get 100+million $’s. 

imo carr felt obligated to throw to coop, crab etc because they were bigger than carr status wise. That’s the only reason I’d keep carr cause if you draft a high caliber wr with a better resume than carr, carr would have to throw to them cause he’d be obligated to. 

carr is just such a wildcard especially for arguably the most important position on offense 

39 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Honestly, I don't see WR as being that big of a need. I don't think the offense is open enough in the passing game to warrant having Waller and paying Williams $11 million per year. That said, the offense does need speed.

Also, it's a myth that Carr holds back receivers. Crabtree had his most productive stretch in Oakland and Cooper didn't produce that much better in Dallas. Also, look at tight ends like Cook and Waller who had career years in Oakland. Even complete JAGs like Rivera, Holmes, and Roberts produced beyond their wildest dreams with Carr.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

I was talking about the SB 

Okay.  That would make since now the 3.5 quarters and not 3 quarters.  This forum has so many active posters it is hard to keep up with everything.  Should I just re-post what I said but this time to Bucksavage1 above.

Edited by drfrey13

48 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Honestly, I don't see WR as being that big of a need. I don't think the offense is open enough in the passing game to warrant having Waller and paying Williams $11 million per year. That said, the offense does need speed.

Also, it's a myth that Carr holds back receivers. Crabtree had his most productive stretch in Oakland and Cooper didn't produce that much better in Dallas. Also, look at tight ends like Cook and Waller who had career years in Oakland. Even complete JAGs like Rivera, Holmes, and Roberts produced beyond their wildest dreams with Carr.

It's not a myth you living in the past. Even when he had a connection with Coop people were saying Coop wasn't good in the redzone, it's actually Carr who isnt good in the redzone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

It's not a myth you living in the past. Even when he had a connection with Coop people were saying Coop wasn't good in the redzone, it's actually Carr who isnt good in the redzone.

Grudens offenses struggle in the red zone.

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/04/jon-grudens-bad-red-zone-history-in-tampa-bay-continues-with-the-raiders/

The Raiders finished with a red zone touchdown percentage of 52.8, which was 21st in the league. The 2019 offense was 14thin red zone opportunities improving from 27th in 2018 but still finished right around the same percentage, which was 22nd the previous season. For perspective, the four years before he came back from the booth, the Raiders average red zone touchdown percentage was 62.32, with an average ranking of 7.75.

Gruden performed in the red zone in his previous stint with the Raiders finishing in the top ten from 1999-2001. However, his best-ranked offense, which finished fifth in 2001, would have ranked 13th in 2019, where the importance of scoring touchdowns has grown with the rise of analytics. When taking a look at Gruden’s red zone history in Tampa Bay, it went downhill during his run with a new team.

During his seven-year stint with the Buccaneers Gruden led offensive units finished with a red zone percentage of 47.1 and an average ranking of 21.2. His last two seasons were his worst finishing 29th in 2007 and then 30th in 2008, which ultimately led to his firing and becoming the commentator for Monday Night Football. This led to Gruden never having an offense score more than 22 points per game.

24 minutes ago, Dessie said:

So basically top ten redzone offense from 99 to 01. Then tanked with the bucs...

Iirc bucs were a historic defensive team with a journey man qb when oak was an offensive team with a bend but don’t break defensive mentality. Not surprised redzone production went down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Im as anti Carr as it gets, but even i admit some of BayRaiders DC takes are over the top lol.

Jets, Vikings, and both Chief games are on Carr playing scared and not moving the chains. Those four blowouts are on him, not the defense. The first Chief game is 50% Riley 50% Carr. 

Packer blowout is on the defense. Defense was terrible and Carr played well.