Russell Wilson Named PFF's MVP

showtime

I put this thread in Seattle's team forum, but figured it might be a cool discussion piece here.  What do you all think of this?

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-seattle-seahawks-qb-russell-wilson-pffs-most-valuable-player

This season, the data points to the fact that no player added greater value to their team than Russell Wilson did for the Seattle Seahawks.

Wilson ended the season comfortably ahead of Patrick Mahomes, Dak Prescott, Lamar Jackson, Kirk Cousins, among others. Reflecting the fact that quarterbacks are by far the most valuable players in football, the 23 highest WAR figures were all passers

Tstw5eB.jpg

I know how some of you all feel about PFF, but I'm just posting this as a conversation piece.  Quite frankly, I was kind of shocked about this because I figured Lamar Jackson would just be the run away MVP.  The playoff game vs the Packers where Wilson was pretty much carrying the team displays what he means to the Seahawks.  Their defense is really inconsistent and it seems like Wilson has to have a great game for them to have a chance to win against a quality opponent.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Danger said:

He was clutch most of the time. But his play dropped notably towards the last third or so of the season.

Objectively speaking, I agree with this.  I've mentioned this a few times, but he wasn't all that great statistically towards like the second half of the season when he was the MVP front runner.  The thing about Seattle is that they won so many of their games by one possession and almost all of their games came down to the wire.  Their defense is so inconsistent - they usually get torched in the first half and play better in the second half. 

9 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

What is most amazing is how manages to pull out elite performances with Brian Schottenheimer as his OC.

To build off this, Seattle had one of the higher passing efficiency ratings, while having one of the worst pass blocking units in the NFL.

Russell Wilson was a quarter inch away from sweeping the 49ers, with guys like Travis Homer, Jacob Hollister, David Moore and a rookie WR that cant run routes being important offensive targets. And who knows what happens in Green Bay if Malik Turner doesn't drop that pass.

Here is something to consider; in the last few weeks of the season and playoffs, Germaine Ifedi was probably the 3rd best offensive player (Non Russell)

• Like 1

The Seahawks were like (10-2) in games decided by 7pts or less. Thats insane for any team for a single season. Wilson was really the main reason the Seahawks had the season that they had. Now with that being said, the game against the Rams in Seattle on a 3rd and 1 he did some option play that hurt them. Took them out of FG range and at best ice the game by picking up a first down. The team had to punt the ball back to the Rams and Goff drove down the field and Zeurlien missed the GW FG. In OT against the Niners, Wilson threw an interception. The Niners marched down the field and their kicker missed the GW FG and that gave Wilson another chance and he eventually did what he does best and the Seahawks won the game. So I thought even with his brilliance this season he had some luck on his side in games where he almost cost his team. The Saints game was a blow out in which Wilson got alot of garbage time stats to make the score look alot closer than what it really was. So Lamar really is the run away MVP because of the complete body of work of the entire season but Wilson definitely deserves to be second because of what he was able to do to make the Seahawks even be in position to be considered the 1 seed heading into Week 17 in the NFC.