General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

10 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

That could fall.... I think it’d take a La’el Collins type situation for Young to be available at 13. 

Yeah people keep missing that word could fall. My guess would be Lamb, Jeudy, Thomas, Wills Jr, Kinlaw and Henderson. All could immediately start are contribute early on in yr 1.

I think Wirfs and Brown will be gone. 

3 hours ago, Justone2 said:

First don't believe everything thats being thrown out in the media. Second there is a difference between seeing what a guy can get you and wanting to get rid off them. 

True on both counts. Just seeing it thrown out there is disappointing because outside of Goodwin, none of those players should even be mentioned in rumors and whatnot.

20 minutes ago, sherm said:

Yeah people keep missing that word could fall. My guess would be Lamb, Jeudy, Thomas, Wills Jr, Kinlaw and Henderson. All could immediately start are contribute early on in yr 1.

I think Wirfs and Brown will be gone. 

I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Wirfs was there at 13. I think got a huge boost from the media based on the combine. I think he still has some things to clean up technically still. He does have that bomb combine and the fact he went to school at Iowa as an O-linemen going for him though. 

PS I really hate using a guys school as a reason to draft them or to boost their grade, but Iowa’s history with linemen is hard to ignore. 

Just now, Gore Whore 21 said:

I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Wirfs was there at 13. I think got a huge boost from the media based on the combine. I think he still has some things to clean up technically still. He does have that bomb combine and the fact he went to school at Iowa as an O-linemen going for him though. 

PS I really hate using a guys school as a reason to draft them or to boost their grade, but Iowa’s history with linemen is hard to ignore. 

If anything it sounds like Becton is the one that’s dropping. I could be wrong of course, but from everything I read he’s really raw. If Thomas falls to us I would be excited, but it sounds like he will be the first tackle taken.  

Trading Ford right now is laughable

Dee said it best when we signed him - "Im a Ferrari" you only take the Ferrari out of the garage on third down or when the other team is going to pass. Keep that guy on a snap count all year and let him and bosa terrorize QBs in December, January, and February. 

The remarkable thing about this team is that we are returning 19 starters. That is unusually high. Making some huge draft day trades involving key players would shake things up too much at this point. Its probably going to be shortened season with less games/practice than normal, so teams with a high number of returning starters that play for high functioning coaching staffs are going to have the advantage. There is zero reason to trade basically any of the guys mentioned.

what a ludicrously false rumor. its truly irresponsible. 

30 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Has there ever been more jersey alterations in a single offseason as this year? Seems like half the league introduced new jerseys.

And I won't notice a single change to any of the jerseys while watching the games. Seriously. Unless they are drastic, I never notice the difference.

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

And I won't notice a single change to any of the jerseys while watching the games. Seriously. Unless they are drastic, I never notice the difference.

Right. I’m still not sure what the did to the Browns jerseys. That big ugly ATL is going to be hard to miss though.

32 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Has there ever been more jersey alterations in a single offseason as this year? Seems like half the league introduced new jerseys.

I think they saved the best for last with the chargers 

I want Nike to mess up a bunch with other jerseys so they can get it right with ours 

Our jerseys are horrible tbh. The numbering needs to be updated at an absolute minimum. I always say this but it's like we are some youth soccer team who had their moms iron on numbers onto shirts to wear as jerseys. It's hokey as h*ll. 

That's why I like the allwhites. They add black shading to the numbers that makes them look soooo much better. The shading is partly screwed up on the 2s though, they need to fix that. Shame they didn't let us wear those in the superbowl

I get that our logo isn't sexy to non Niner fans, but not much you can do about that. It's the logo. 

The uniforms need modernizing. I like the white stripes on the home jerseys but the way the jerseys they sell to fans with them diagonally looks dumb. I would be good with more white stripes on the arms or shoulders. 

It's really hard to get actually metallic gold to look good on cloth and have it match a helmet. Hopefully they have some new material and can add some trim or something. 

We need more accent colors. They are two dimensional and bland 

Finally getting around to reading the full CBA and I found it interesting that 2 practice squad spots can be used on any player, regardless of how many years they have accrued. That allows us to potentially keep Beathard on the PS, for example. Or if Blair and Taylor start the season on PUP, then we could have someone like Willie Henry on the PS and elevate him to the active roster (using one of the additional two spots reserved for PS call ups) to provide depth until Blair and Taylor are activated without using one of the 53 man spots. Or we could have Shon Coleman be our 4th OT/9th OL while only taking up a PS spot. That sounds a lot better than having an UDFA be our 4th OT. A lot more strategy is involved with practice squads this year.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, struby3 said:

Finally getting around to reading the full CBA and I found it interesting that 2 practice squad spots can be used on any player, regardless of how many years they have accrued. That allows us to potentially keep Beathard on the PS, for example. Or if Blair and Taylor start the season on PUP, then we could have someone like Willie Henry on the PS and elevate him to the active roster (using one of the additional two spots reserved for PS call ups) to provide depth until Blair and Taylor are activated without using one of the 53 man spots. Or we could have Shon Coleman be our 4th OT/9th OL while only taking up a PS spot. That sounds a lot better than having an UDFA be our 4th OT. A lot more strategy is involved with practice squads this year.

Bigger rosters means that it will be harder to keep those kind of guys on your PS, so it will be an interesting dynamic.