2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

5 hours ago, tredaddy said:

everyone loves Juju despite him acting like a kid and being publicly silly yet he’s an unquestioned leader in PIT.  

haskins apparently can’t do the same because he plays QB position?  Some of the nitpicking here gets pretty overboard.

It’s annoying to me to usually hear middle aged to old white men complain on the radio about a young black athlete - who’s usually under 25. It’s usually them complaining about stuff they have no clue about anyways. They generally don’t understand the culture of the millennial generation and African American youth and they don’t understand social media. They overreact and how a lot of the what that generation does on social media is just an instant “hot take reaction” and it means very little in the long run.

People always overreacted to RG3 on Twitter and now they’re doing the same thing to Haskins. At this time, what he’s doing on Twitter and Instagram is not a big deal. It will only become a big deal if he doesn’t progress as a better QB and leader on the team next year and the years after that.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It’s annoying to me to usually hear middle aged to old white men complain on the radio about a young black athlete - who’s usually under 25. It’s usually them complaining about stuff they have no clue about anyways. They generally don’t understand the culture of the millennial generation and African American youth and they don’t understand social media. They overreact and how a lot of the what that generation does on social media is just an instant “hot take reaction” and it means very little in the long run.

People always overreacted to RG3 on Twitter and now they’re doing the same thing to Haskins. At this time, what he’s doing on Twitter and Instagram is not a big deal. It will only become a big deal if he doesn’t progress as a better QB and leader on the team next year and the years after that.

In general I agree. But my one quibble is that what Robert was doing is much different than what Dwayne is doing.

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

In general I agree. But my one quibble is that what Robert was doing is much different than what Dwayne is doing.

My point though is it doesn't matter, they were/are misunderstood by a big segment of the fanbase and media that thinks it's a big deal but unless they’re in that locker-room they have no clue if it's a big deal or not. Again, if Haskins progresses it won't be a big deal. If he doesn't or even worse regresses, it will become a big deal but only as people outside of the organization point to social media as the wrong reason as to why the QB isn't getting better.

Let's not forget, RG3’s social media activity and commercials didn't matter when he was a rookie when he was awesome and the team was winning. It only became a problem when he didn't play as well after he hurt his knee and didn't progress as a pocket passer in 2013 & 14.

So, it's more about the progress of Haskins on the field and if the team improves and if he becomes a better leader rather then social media.

And, it seems Haskins is working hard. His coaches and others have said so. And roll the videotape:

Edited by turtle28

16 hours ago, tredaddy said:

everyone loves Juju despite him acting like a kid and being publicly silly yet he’s an unquestioned leader in PIT.  

haskins apparently can’t do the same because he plays QB position?  Some of the nitpicking here gets pretty overboard.

JuJu gets a pass because he can actually play and wins. No one will care about Haskins' antics if he can win.

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

JuJu gets a pass because he can actually play and wins. No one will care about Haskins' antics if he can win.

Seems to me a lot of people are caring about Haskins’ on social media even though he hasn’t played a full season yet, but maybe that’s just me. I think the criticism is unjust until we know for sure that he isn’t going to be a good player. He definitely flashed the last 5 games of last year that he could develop into a good starter when he had 7 TDs & 2 ints down the stretch. 

I love Juju - my cousins son got an autographed Jersey from him last year - but what has Juju done w/o Antonio Brown playing opposite him? 

Oh, I’ll answer that, absolutely nothing. They’re certainly in different parts of their careers but Juju still has a lot to prove. They both do.

I just take the stance that I don’t care at all what a player does on social media, I care what they do on the field and I will never make the correlation between what a player said or did on social media will actually have an effect on the field. They’re two separate things.

I definitely think that some people won’t care what Haskins does on social media if he plays well and starts winning games but certain fans will always care and sadly it has nothing to do with football and we can’t discuss that here. 

Edited by turtle28

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Seems to me a lot of people are caring about Haskins’ on social media even though he hasn’t played a full season yet, but maybe that’s just me. I think the criticism is unjust until we know for sure that he isn’t going to be a good player. He definitely flashed the last 5 games of last year that he could develop into a good starter when he had 7 TDs & 2 ints down the stretch. 

I love Juju, but what has Juju done w/o Antonio Brown playing opposite him. Oh, I’ll answer that, absolutely nothing. They’re certainly in different parts of their careers but Juju still has a lot to prove. They both do.

I just take he stance that I don’t care at all what a player does on social media, I care what they do on the field and I will never make the correlation between what a player said or did on social media will actually have an effect on the field. They’re two separate things.

I definitely think that some people won’t care what Haskins does on social media if he plays well and starts winning games but certain fans will always care and sadly it has nothing to do with football and we can’t discuss that here. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I love Juju, but what has Juju done w/o Antonio Brown playing opposite him. Oh, I’ll answer that, absolutely nothing. They’re certainly in different parts of their careers but Juju still has a lot to prove.

Juju was without Big Ben for most of the season and he put up good games when Ben was in there. Not sure what you are talking about?

10 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I really like Bradberry but Idk if I like him for 15 mil.  I figured he would be a 10-13 mil guy. to be uite honest I really wouldnt mind Breeland coming back. I never wanted him to leave in the first place

26 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Juju was without Big Ben for most of the season and he put up good games when Ben was in there. Not sure what you are talking about?

Doesn't matter. He still didn't prove over the course of a season yet w/o Brown next to him that he’s going to be an 111 catch, 1400 yd and 7 TD WR w/o Brown drawing coverage away from him. 

There are certainly other reasons why Juju didn't have a pro bowl year last year, I’m just saying he didn't. Ben got hurt, Juju got hurt and then Juju was headhunted by the browns on a play where the officials didn't even throw a flag and he missed time w/ a knee injury and concussion. Point still stands, he hasn’t proven he's the same WR yet now that Brown is gone. 

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

No to Rivers. I think signing him would be a horrible mistake. If it's just a rumor, it's likely not true. I don't want an old almost washed up QB to come in take over when we have a young developing QB and a young developing team. I want Haskins to get the rains for at least this season to prove whether he can be the long term answer or not. I want us to sign a good veteran back up type to be there for Haskins.

I don't think Bradberry will get offered that much. I understand he wants it, I doubt he’ll get that much just as much as I doubt Dunny would get $14 mil a year on the open market. I bet we can sign Bradberry for less than that, and if not, move on and sign someone else. We shouldn’t be wasting our cap space on good players who want to be paid like All-Pros, that’s a waste.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

That’s alittle crazy for Bradberry. I think hes a heck of a player but idk if he’s there

• Like 1