Should the Cowboys TRADE Dak?

Uncle Buck

Should the Cowboys Trade Dak Prescott?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Cowboys Trade Dak Prescott?

• Yes! Trade him, improve other areas of the team and let MM develop a rookie.
    • No! He's a great quarterback and those are hard to find. Pay the man!

I don't see how a trade is a realistic possibility unless the Cowboys plan on taking well below Prescott's value.  Who would the buyers be? 

Bears: what could they reasonably offer?  They don't have a 1st or 3rd round pick.  I'm not sure what their salary cap situation looks like, but trading away more picks + signing Prescott to a huge deal seems like a recipe for disaster down the road.  

Bengals: Joe Burrow

Broncos: I could see it

Jaguars: I could see it

Dolphins: I could see it

So really 3 teams as of right now that have the capital and need at the position.  However there's just so many QBs who could be up for grabs this offseason that would likely be cheaper than Prescott that I couldn't see any of those teams trading what it would take to get Prescott vs pursuing those guys.  Newton, Carr, Stafford (not sure how strong the rumors are though), and Winston could all be available this offseason.  Stafford's the most expensive contract out of that bunch, but I'd take him over Prescott (short-term anyway).  Rivers, Mariota, and Dalton will be available too.

Cowboys really don't have a choice but to sign Prescott.  Sure, they could tag him, but it would only be delaying the inevitable.  At least if you sign him now, he'll be what, a top-paid QB for 2-3 years?  Then like most contracts it'll begin to normalize.  

I think they absolutely should trade him. They got tremendous value out of him for 4 years as a #5-15 range starter (depending on the year) They can never again get value from him if he needs 35+ million a year. He's not Mahomes or Watson. He will never be Mahomes or Watson.

Because the Eagles took a risk on Wentz and the Rams took one on Goff does not mean Dallas has to take that risk on Dak.

As an Eagles fan... Give him 40 a year please!

BTW, the Cowboys have all the choices in the world with Brady, Rivers, Tannehill, Mariota, Bridgewater all possible free agents and guys like Dalton, Hill, and Foles possible trade targets.

If Dallas sees Dak as just a good starter on a talented team then its an easy decision for them.

46 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Ive hired your wife. I know shes got the stones to do it.

She'll kill you for suggesting to take away her 2017 World Series Title...

...and she might actually do that. I'm all talk behind a smartphone, she's absolutely crazy (as you can glean).

1 minute ago, Danger said:

If he is traded, he's not going to command a King's ransom on top needing to be paid a King's ransom. He'd get a 1st and change.

Frank Clark got a 1st and 2nd last year. 0% chance a 26 year old QB only gets a 1st and some change. MINIMUM two 1sts and two 2nds plus a 3rd or 4th. Someone will be dumb enough to pay him $37+ per year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danger said:

If he is traded, he's not going to command a King's ransom on top needing to be paid a King's ransom. He'd get a 1st and change.

They'd be lucky to get that IMO. IF TRADED there is Zero doubt in my mind his Agent is telling any and all potential suitors,  It will cost you X amount of dollars (More then Dallas) or He Will sit out 10 games for you too IF TAGGED? You've been Warned!

Dallas has absolutely no trade value for Dak unless Dak mutually agrees he wants to move to said Franchise. It's a Dallas or Jerry Pipe Dream. No one is paying $35M plus Multiple high picks for Dak Prescott.  Now if the cost was a Brock Osweiler type scenario  or a box of Juicy Fruits a Trade is possible. 

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Frank Clark got a 1st and 2nd last year. 0% chance a 26 year old QB only gets a 1st and some change. MINIMUM two 1sts and two 2nds plus a 3rd or 4th. Someone will be dumb enough to pay him $37+ per year. 

Only if Daks every demand is met, which isn't happening. I'm sure that's what Jerry would jump all over but Dak holds ALL THE LEVERAGE!

14 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Only if Daks every demand is met, which isn't happening. I'm sure that's what Jerry would jump all over but Dak holds ALL THE LEVERAGE!

Cowboys can tag him. so no he doesn't. If the Cowboys think he is worth it, pay him. If they don't, let him take his 'leverage' to a team with mediocre talent around him to fade in obscurity.

Edited by BStanRamFan

22 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:
22 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Cowboys can tag him. so no he doesn't. If the Cowboys think he is worth it, pay him. If they don't, let him take his 'leverage' to a team with mediocre talent around him to fade in obscurity.

Problem with your scenario is If they Tag Dak there is several outcomes none of which Benefit the 2020 Dallas Cowboys "Plus" Compensation.

Dallas Tags Dak

1) He doesn't sign the Tag but decides to Sit 10 weeks ala Vincent Jackson with SD, reports week 12 and STILL makes $10M or 5X his 2019 Salary the final 6 gms while getting his accured season.

2) Doesn't sign the Tag, Dallas decides to sign say Brady instead, they retrack the Tag making Dak a FA , get nothing in return!

3) Dak signs said Tag immediately making option 2 obsolete but decides to take the Option A route as well ala Trent Williams instead. Maybe even smarter the Jalen Ramsey route with BS excuse after excuse after excuse collecting checks!

4) Dak doesn't sign the Tag, meaning he's not under contract there for No trade can be made without an extension agreed upon in advance! Thus controlling said Destination and the crap compensation Dallas gets in return.

Dallas has no leverage of any kind in Trade Demands without Daks approval!

Edited by Nabbs4u

9 hours ago, Ryan_W said:

how low is 'too low' to try and get Bridgewater? 25m w/incentives?

Teddy has become so overrated. He was never Special as a Viking but has become a media and fan darling since coming back from the horrific injury. I get he helped win 5 gms as a Saint last year but hell so did Fitz as a Dolphin. 

I just dont see why he is the supposed  "fix it all" QB for every QB needy team in the NFL?

Someone post that they want their team to give up a first round pick+ and pay 37m+ a year for Dak.

Seems a lot of people think there are teams willing to do it  and/or their fans would want that.

Easy to speak for someone else.  Someone say that’s what they would want for their team.   

I’m a Bears fan.  I pass.