Should the Cowboys TRADE Dak?

Uncle Buck

Should the Cowboys Trade Dak Prescott?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Cowboys Trade Dak Prescott?

• Yes! Trade him, improve other areas of the team and let MM develop a rookie.
    • No! He's a great quarterback and those are hard to find. Pay the man!

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

3 of the QBs were free agent acquisitions and 1 was acquired via trade. 4 of 12 weren’t drafted by their respectice teams.

Odds still are that you want to draft your QB high rather than being stingy. Considerably.

I don't know why the cowboys would sign him to a long term deal when they can just tag him for 27 million. why pay 35 million per year and be locked in for a long time when you could do 27 for one year and then figure it out later

13 minutes ago, N4L said:

I don't know why the cowboys would sign him to a long term deal when they can just tag him for 27 million. why pay 35 million per year and be locked in for a long time when you could do 27 for one year and then figure it out later

Well, the obvious reason could be that Dak just calls their bluff and refuses to play on the tag tender.  If they've tagged him, they still need to keep that cap space earmarked and available, but their other options behind Dak are... Cooper Rush and Clayton Thorson (on a futures contract), unless Kellen Moore is planning on coming out of retirement and suiting up (and making @ianlewis16's dreams come true).  His endorsements aren't going to suddenly pull the cord on him.  As was pointed out in another thread about this, if he reports at the minimum week necessary to accrue a year of service, he still banks 6-7 weeks of weekly salary checks - on the franchise tender amount (~$12M in total) - and really he doesn't even need to do that since he's already accrued enough years of service to hit free agency without any restrictions, it just forces the issue that if Dallas were to tag him again the following season it would be at 125% of the previous season's $27M versus the average of the Top 5 QB salaries for 2021.

27 minutes ago, N4L said:

I don't know where you're getting 27 from unless they changed the tag rule. Franchise tag is average of top 5.

Jared Goff: $36M
Ben Roethlisberger: $33.5M 
Kirk Cousins: $31M 
Russell Wilson: $31M
Jimmy Garoppolo: $26.6M 

Average: $31.6M

38 minutes ago, N4L said:

I wonder if CBA negotiations plays a part in any of these players' thinking around the franchise tag. Presumably Dak can/will get tagged soon, but a new CBA could be approved as soon as within the next 6 weeks, and will have to be agreed within the next year. It seems like the franchise tag is one of the items that the NFLPA is going to push for changes around, and even if they can't get it completely eliminated, there could very well be adjustments made, whether that's lowering the draft pick compensation down for players signed by other teams after getting franchise tagged, eliminating the right of refusal, or lowering the amount of times you're allowed to franchise a player to as little as just one time each. 

Would be unclear how those changes would impact players tagged this year but there could be a situation where the Cowboys tag Dak and he goes into next year just needing to do the bare minimum to accrue an additional league year and hit the open market next year if the Cowboys can't tag him again, or the draft pick compensation/right of refusal rules are changed and teams are more enticed to negotiate with Dak while he is tagged. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

I don't know where you're getting 27 from unless they changed the tag rule. Franchise tag is average of top 5.

Jared Goff: $36M
Ben Roethlisberger: $33.5M 
Kirk Cousins: $31M 
Russell Wilson: $31M
Jimmy Garoppolo: $26.6M 

Average: $31.6M

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/07/report-dak-prescott-rejected-33-million-per-year-in-new-money-in-september/

non-exclusive tag is 27m. I missed that part. 

25 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Well, the obvious reason could be that Dak just calls their bluff and refuses to play on the tag tender.  If they've tagged him, they still need to keep that cap space earmarked and available, but their other options behind Dak are... Cooper Rush and Clayton Thorson (on a futures contract), unless Kellen Moore is planning on coming out of retirement and suiting up (and making @ianlewis16's dreams come true).  His endorsements aren't going to suddenly pull the cord on him.  As was pointed out in another thread about this, if he reports at the minimum week necessary to accrue a year of service, he still banks 6-7 weeks of weekly salary checks - on the franchise tender amount (~$12M in total) - and really he doesn't even need to do that since he's already accrued enough years of service to hit free agency without any restrictions, it just forces the issue that if Dallas were to tag him again the following season it would be at 125% of the previous season's $27M versus the average of the Top 5 QB salaries for 2021.

Dak isn't going to do that. hes not a running back. Hes a QB and barely gets touched. He hasn't made more than a few million as of right now, so once the deadline comes and goes for the long term deal he will report imo. Hes been nothing but a professional. 

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

So where is he wrong in that article?

He excludes cap carry forward. His argument is:

$35m x 4 = $140m (potential Dak deal)

vs

(extending) $140m/5 = $27m (other QBs)

Which on paper you go "geez that makes sense!"... Until you realize that you are just now spending an extra $27m in 2019. Guess what? We didnt spend that, so we get to carry that money into 2020. Here is a more simple math problem.

Does $140m = $140m - yes or no?

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Because then we just have to pay him even more next year. 

He is going to be the QB for the Cowboys. Most likely for the next 10 years. So kicking the can on his contract is bad business. The Eagles were smarter than us for getting Carson locked up early. 

• Like 2

Prescott is replaceable, but I don't see Dallas trading him.

It would be a major surprise, because they benched Romo to give him the starting job. 

I think it would be a big risk for Dallas to trade Prescott, who had 30 TDs this season and almost passed for 5,000 yards too.  

To take a chance in the draft when Dallas going 8-8 this season clearly wasn't his fault is very asinine.