Unpopular Opinions: Entertainment edition

TOUCAN

14 hours ago, August4th said:

the office had some great highs imo but stayed on too long and was just running on fumes for a few seasons. I think Parks and recs was more consistent but did not reach the peak of the office when it was at its best.

I watched a few seasons of parks and recs, waiting for it to get funny.  There were maybe two times i chuckled or thought about chuckling.  I couldn't understand why people love it so much.

So, my vote is that Parks and Rec is overrated, tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

See I wouldnt put New Girl in the same category. Without the interview/faux docu format it seems too different to me. That could just be me nit picking

I wouldn't either.  It's closer to modern day Friends than The Office.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Comedy (and really all television) is made by writing, not actors. 

That the writers of The Office couldn't make Rashida Jones a strong character but the writers of Parks and Rec could, is not a mark against Parks and Rec, it's a mark against The Office. 

And the idea that any sitcom is a solid tier above any of the shows that I listed is pretty absurd. The Office is a significantly less intelligent comedy than Community, and has less compelling characters than Brooklyn 99 or New Girl.

It was the same writers Greg Daniels and Michael Schur.

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

It was the same writers Greg Daniels and Michael Schur.

Jones was on the show for 1 season I believe  and was never meant to be a strong character. Just some girl to take the spot of Pam, in Jim’s life.

Also New Girl was great for the first two seasons then slowly started to lose steam and sucked by season 5.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

I watched a few seasons of parks and recs, waiting for it to get funny.  There were maybe two times i chuckled or thought about chuckling.  I couldn't understand why people love it so much.

So, my vote is that Parks and Rec is overrated, tbh.

The wife and I made it about 2/3 of the way through the first Parks and Rec episode and we haven't tried it again since.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Also New Girl was great for the first two seasons then slowly started to lose steam and sucked by season 5.

I think we made it through 3 seasons of New Girl and at that point it was such a try hard show anymore that it lost its appeal.  I agree the first two seasons were great though.  It was so natural and unassuming at the start and it declined rapidly in season 3.

4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

The wife and I made it about 2/3 of the way through the first Parks and Rec episode and we haven't tried it again since.

You have to kind of hate watch the first season the whole way through. But then you get to the 2nd season and it gets way lighter from there. Very similar to the Office's first season where you just cringe for like 30 minutes each episode.

Just now, Fresh Prince said:

What’s your fav episode from the show, mine is easily the wedding from season 1

There's a lot haha. The first few that come to mind are True American with Nick and Jess' first kiss, Schmidt's bachelor party, when Jess lusts after Nick and Schmidt is obsessed with a lion fish, the virginity stories, and Schmidt and Cece's wedding.

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

The first season was okay (and very short) and season 2 was where it started getting good.

But man... s3 was absolutely extraordinary quality.  One of the greatest seasons of TV ever up there with s1 of True Detective, s4 of The Wire and s2 of Atlanta. Adding both Adam Scott and Rob Lowe to the cast was a complete gamechanger. 

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 2