Unpopular Opinions: Entertainment edition

TOUCAN

On 2/19/2020 at 4:35 PM, Daniel said:

Zemo has like five minutes of total screentime, Ultron was just plain lame, and Pierce was so forgettable that I forgot he was technically the main villain in Winter Soldier.  Get @ me with a real take.

On the subject of Loki: Loki is a great villain.  He's also hardly a villain after the first Avengers movie.  I think the Marvel movies are pretty consistently great overall: they embraced the campiness inherent to the genre, but didn't run away with it, and they've gotten a laundry list of great characters, and adapted things well, but most of their villains are tropey and forgettable, but they have quite a few good ones (surprised not to see Vulture get some love).  Killmonger just happens to be the best one.  Because Killmonger was right.

Killmonger was not right about anything. Come the hell on. 

Wakanda is not what any nation in Africa would look like without interference from outside the continent. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 7:54 AM, Daniel said:

He was black.  In southern California.  In the early 90s.

It's not exactly something they would need to explain to any audience member with any knowledge of American society.  He speaks about systemic and global racism several times anyway.

If you put a Jewish character in Poland in the 30s, your audience should be able to pick up on the fact that they've gone through some stuff.  It's inefficient storytelling to explain obvious points that the audience should already be aware of, especially if it's background exposition.

1. Please don't compare any aspect of American racism in the 90s to ******* Nazi occupied Poland. Come the hell on. That's absolutely ridiculous.

2. Anybody with his background who supposedly traveled all over the third world in the military would arrive back in the United States with an all new outlook on life. Compared to most of Africa, South America, Asia, and the Middle East, Southern California in the 90s is a commune of racial harmony.

Wakanda is fictionally within a fighter jet flight of: Somalia, Sudan, Kenya, Uganda, and Rwanda. All of which have essentially ongoing racial genocides. 

3. And finally. I can't believe I have to make this argument. LA Cops being racist and corrupt as hell, DOESN'T MEAN YOU START A WORLD WAR!!!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Malfatron said:

I used to think so as well.

I actually think he did excellent in OUATIH, and thats the only time I ever felt that about him

Best performance of his career was Blood Diamond imo.  He wasn't even the best actor in the movie in the Revenant, let alone the best actor that year.  His most over rated performances are The Revenant, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, and the Wolf of Wall Street.  He is a quality actor though, love him in Blood Diamond, Inception, Django Unchained, and Catch Me If You Can.  The Departed he is solid enough, so I won't call it over rated, but Damon was clearly better in that movie to me.

51 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Best performance of his career was Blood Diamond imo.  He wasn't even the best actor in the movie in the Revenant, let alone the best actor that year.  His most over rated performances are The Revenant, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, and the Wolf of Wall Street.  He is a quality actor though, love him in Blood Diamond, Inception, Django Unchained, and Catch Me If You Can.  The Departed he is solid enough, so I won't call it over rated, but Damon was clearly better in that movie to me.

Shutter Island was a solid performance. 

On 2/24/2020 at 11:31 AM, animaltested said:

If you were surprised how awful Season 8 of Game of Thrones was, you were not paying attention. The literal bad "writing" was on the wall as early as season 5.

Pretty much all of the problematic writing came from the stuff that D&D wrote on their own, which goes all the way back to season 2 with the Qaarth plot on the show. It wasn’t as bad as season 5 Dorne or everything after season 6, but yeah, the warning signs were there in hindsight.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Pretty much all of the problematic writing came from the stuff that D&D wrote on their own, which goes all the way back to season 2 with the Qaarth plot on the show. It wasn’t as bad as season 5 Dorne or everything after season 6, but yeah, the warning signs were there in hindsight.

The signs were there but season 5-7 still had some great moments. Episode 1 of season 8 was great also but they just made some horrible choices with the way they handled the deaths of Daenerys, NK, Jamie, Cersei. It was all there for them to die but they way they got to it was so bad.

Jon killing Daenerys should’ve been one of the greatest tv deaths in history, but fell flat.

28 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

The signs were there but season 5-7 still had some great moments. Episode 1 of season 8 was great also but they just made some horrible choices with the way they handled the deaths of Daenerys, NK, Jamie, Cersei. It was all there for them to die but they way they got to it was so bad.

Jon killing Daenerys should’ve been one of the greatest tv deaths in history, but fell flat.

Agreed on 5-7, but I think about the closest season 8 came to quality was episode 2.  1 did next to nothing but have everyone arrive where they were going; it lacked the huge, ridiculous flaws of the later episodes, but that was largely because nothing happened.  Jumpscare at the end was pretty good.  Season 8 even had some good stuff (i.e. spectacle) but was all around awful.  The biggest spectacle episode was even ruined by being too dark to see.

Season 7, overall, was just as dumb as season 8.  That might be an unpopular one.  "Beyond the Wall" is the worst episode that the show ever produced.