Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

mission27

57 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Why does that seem excessive?

with how little testing we are doing and how long this has been spreading, you need to assume at least 1% of the population has this across the US. Minimum.

I guess I am just surprised by the fact that its almost half of the reported infections in one place. I guess there are more infected people then I realize.

4 minutes ago, The Third Rider said:

I guess I am just surprised by the fact that its almost half of the reported infections in one place. I guess there are more infected people then I realize.

See this kind of confusion is why she shouldn't have said that... At least not without explaining what she was saying a bit better.

The total reported infections you're hearing are the confirmed cases, half of those are NOT in Ohio... Not even remotely close, the number of confirmed cases in Ohio as of earlier today was 5.

What she is saying if that they SUSPECT that UP TO 1% of the population of Ohio MAY have the virus.

It was a stupid thing to say and she should have never said it, a public official should NEVER guesstimate how many cases there *could* be, all she did was create confusion and panic.

7 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

The issue is that so many people simply will not get tested, and will not stop going to work because they simply can't afford to miss a paycheck, or they will get fired if they call in sick. There are HUGE amounts of people in that situation. Almost all of the service industry.

And they won't pay to get tested. 

13 hours ago, Leader said:

The UK has more known cases than many other EU countries that have had travel banned.

Yeah but EU has mostly open borders which encourages spread and means hard to differentiate countries.  UK doesn’t  

I don’t support the travel ban generally, but understand why UK would be treated as separate (because it is)

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Yes.  I’m 31 years old.  I’ll survive.  I don’t want them to come in, I just want their money.  It’s the biggest reason I’m a fan of no change no cancel reservations.  People make them to save 10-30 bucks and they’re made 6-9 months out.  No plans last that long, and about 50% of the advance purchase reservations don’t even come in and we get the money for it.  

Everyone just got a get out of jail free card and it’s bull****.  

YouMad.jpg?1260647699

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

See this kind of confusion is why she shouldn't have said that... At least not without explaining what she was saying a bit better.

The total reported infections you're hearing are the confirmed cases, half of those are NOT in Ohio... Not even remotely close, the number of confirmed cases in Ohio as of earlier today was 5.

What she is saying if that they SUSPECT that UP TO 1% of the population of Ohio MAY have the virus.

It was a stupid thing to say and she should have never said it, a public official should NEVER guesstimate how many cases there *could* be, all she did was create confusion and panic.

This is why the governments response is so dangerous. There's no coordination on any level, it's just dangerous to be this unprepared for something like this and to not coordinate at all. I get that the party in power is anti-federal but this is the time to at least communicate with every governor and mayor of a major city in the country and figure out what we're doing and what the messaging is just so more people aren't needlessly misinformed and put in danger.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

And they won't pay to get tested. 

And even more wont skip work even if they were tested (which they won’t be)

we will never know the true infection rates. SO many people will just deal with it and never report anything (while spreading it)

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

And even more wont skip work even if they were tested (which they won’t be)

we will never know the true infection rates. SO many people will just deal with it and never report anything (while spreading it)

Which is also part of the reason we'll never know the true mortality rate

14 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Friend just got diagnosed. Another friend in the UK was told "you likely have it but we don't have enough test kits so you're just gonna have to self quarantine" 

What is he/she feeling? The Flu symptons or something else?

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Has a weaker lung because of injuries and past illness making it worse so pneumonia symptoms that might develop into full blown pneumonia if was left untreated. 

Well I hope they get better soon. I'll send prayers!