JAX to apply franchise tag to EDGE Yannick Ngakoue

Broncofan

The take that the tag allows the Jags to try and trade him isn’t so straightforward - Ngakoue has to sign the tag before he can be dealt.   This just ensures that teams can’t go after him in FA (depending on if it’s the exclusive or non-exclusive tag).   

If Ngakoue decides to not sign right up until Opening Day or in season then it ties up 19M in cap space.    So there’s definitely the possibility of a showdown coming.   

He is going to sign that tag once a rep from another organization talks with his agent, get a contract in place and the jags get the trade details from that organization as well as working on a contract with Yan. Once all parties agree he will then sign that tag and be traded to the team in which the contract will then be agreed on for him.

As a non jaguars fan I get both sides of the story and fans are the ones who get the misery. Khan should have canned Marrone and Caldwell when Coughlin was canned. Cleaning house and putting in new management would have been the best chance at salvaging the relationship of him staying in Jax. He got a sour taste from the current regime last year and it clearly is still there. The best thing to do is trade him take the picks and better the team as well as take the 18-20 mil in cap for the franchise tag and put it to players that want to be there. You have Allen in place to take Yan's spot so it isn't a huge loss as he is as good if not better. Calias plays the bigger side so your pass rush starters are still there. You can always draft one for back up or pick up a cheaper option on a flyer deal like vic beasley. You dumped dareus, not sure is his position has been filled but I know that Jordan Phillips had a solid year and half  in Buffalo and he could be a solid contributor in Jax to play inside and would cost around the 9-10 mil mark so half of what yan would cost and it would better the starting dline. The worst thing the Jags can do is hold on to him and get stuck moving him like the texans did with clowney getting basically nothing for him and hurting yourself by doing so. Be like Seattle or KC quickly move on from him like they did with their pass rushers and get the best you can get for him now while a team can get a long term deal done.

Edited by soflbillsfan

I’m here to collect apologies from everyone who said I was just being bitter for saying I had heard from sources inside the building that he didn’t want to be a Jaguar, and all the way back in September when I said this was the problem.

Also - his #1 preference is to play for the Giants.

Edited by pwny
  • Like 10