Kirksey to GB, 2Y/13M

VonKarman

From our friends at PFF @Outpost31 when Kirksey signed his extension with Cleveland.

- Kirksey has elevated his play in each of his first three seasons and in 2016 he graded as tied for the 22nd best off the ball linebacker with an overall grade of 81.5.

• Kirksey has developed into a dominant force defending the run. In 2016 his run-defense grade of 84.9 ranked fourth among linebackers and his 46 run stops ranked first amongst inside linebackers(A stop is a tackle resulting in an offensive failure).

• In 2016, Kirksey was effective as a pass rusher off blitzes. His pass-rush productivity of 16.0 ranked fifth among inside linebackers with at least 40 pass rush snaps. He produced 16 pressures (two sacks, four hits, ten hurries) on 78 pass rush snaps.

• Like 6

Looks like more of a coverage guy than a thumper, but it isn't hard to get a run-stopping ILB in the middle portion of the next draft.

PS Just read the @Packerraymond post above mine that suggests he is a much better run stopper than I gave him credit for. I relied too much on his college scouting report. Now if only he can stay healthy......

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

Don't ever ask me to get excited about paying a non-star, non-premium, but you couldn't ask a rookie to play that slot in our defense, and this is likely one of the cheaper ILB contracts for one of the better players.

It's going to come down to health here. If he stays healthy, it's probably a win. If not, Burks needs to figure it out.

• Like 2

Cleveland fans are saying his best attribute was his leadership. A+ locker room guy and wont have an issue being the play caller on defense. Locker room is going to love him. Please stay healthy. Lets grab Logan WIlson now!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Norm said:

Yeah not the same player, at all. 

I don't think many people know much about him though.

I know nothing about the guy at all. No context for me. Hopefully it pans out, but now I'm really curious to see what Blake gets.

Just now, St Vince said:

Really wanted kwiatkoski instead, maybe his price tag will be high.

I'm more than fine with this deal. Short because of the injuries allows to have some average play at ILB and be able to take a shot later in the draft to replace. 

We could always still sign a 2nd one, but yeah, they're going to be around the same price as this or more. 

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Decent move ... just got to hope he stays healthy.   Another good thing .. he won't count against the formula for potential future comp picks.

I dont know when the last time is that we didn't receive any compensatory picks. We have two guys that could potentially get big contracts. Martinez & Bulaga. I think GB only has one contract that would match Martinez or Bulaga remaining in their cap. 

1 minute ago, Kenrik said:

I dont know when the last time is that we didn't receive any compensatory picks. We have two guys that could potentially get big contracts. Martinez & Bulaga. I think GB only has one contract that would match Martinez or Bulaga remaining in their cap. 

Then they should re-sign Bulaga imo.