Panthers signing QB Teddy Bridgewater (3 years, $60 M)

RaidersAreOne

No disrespect but Bridgewater does not compare to Cam Newton and now they are paying him more money than Cam would have made this year. The Panthers will still be drafting a QB anyway. You could have had Cam on the cheap and see if he could return to form with Joe Brady. Then extend him after proving his worth. This just reeks of media driven bs and I wouldn't be surprised if Tepper is making decisions based off  ESPN and headlines on First Take. 

40 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

So I guess the Panthers aren't tanking?

Weird move. 

Bridgewater is too good for them to tank.

Thank goodness Norv Turner is gone. Him and Teddy were horrible fits together. With a more up to date system, Teddy will succeed, getting McCaffrey and Moore a lot of opportunities to shine.

I'll be watching closely. Good for Carolina and their new QB!

• Like 3

At this point, Teddy is absolutely a better QB than Cam. The Panthers must really know something about Cam's health/shoulder injury. That's what this says to me.

With CMC at RB, a really good WR in Moore, and (hopefully) an improved OL, Teddy will do well there. I still believe in him

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baconrad11 said:

At this point, Teddy is absolutely a better QB than Cam. The Panthers must really know something about Cam's health/shoulder injury. That's what this says to me.

With CMC at RB, a really good WR in Moore, and (hopefully) an improved OL, Teddy will do well there. I still believe in him

Anyone whose watched Cam in the last two seasons knows he's a rotting corpse, unfortunately....

• Like 1

Consider me unimpressed by Teddy.  Part of it was the offense, but the next gen stats are not kind to him. They tell the story of a dink and dunk game manager type.  Not a crazy contract though.  I expect the Panthers will be in the QB hunt in next year's draft.  Maybe even in this one.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, baconrad11 said:

-I disagree that he is "absolutely better" than Cam.

-Or he could just not jive with the new coach or organization and want out. If they knew he was done and couldn't get anything for him they would just our right release him.

- This isn't really a good move for Teddy IMO, they are pretty much a meh team, Bridgewater isn't going to take them much higher than what they are now.

8 minutes ago, RabidPanther89 said:

No disrespect but Bridgewater does not compare to Cam Newton and now they are paying him more money than Cam would have made this year. The Panthers will still be drafting a QB anyway. You could have had Cam on the cheap and see if he could return to form with Joe Brady. Then extend him after proving his worth. This just reeks of media driven bs and I wouldn't be surprised if Tepper is making decisions based off  ESPN and headlines on First Take. 

They can wait on a QB now. Teddy is a really solid QB.

4 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Consider me unimpressed by Teddy.  Part of it was the offense, but the next gen stats are not kind to him. They tell the story of a dink and dunk game manager type.  Not a crazy contract though.  I expect the Panthers will be in the QB hunt in next year's draft.  Maybe even in this one.

Panthers are multiple years away from fielding a contender, so a QB could always be on their menu.

Teddy may dink and dunk but at least he’s watchable, unlike Kyle Allen and the ghost of Cam Newton last year.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

Just now, BaltimoreTerp said:

I think Teddy with the Panthers is going to give us the new Dalton Line. 

Which is fine if that's what they want - he can keep them in the wild card mix for sure, I'd expect. But it just seems to run counter to the other moves they've made this offseasson. 

yep 

they are going to seriously waste CMCs prime

Gross overpay. I still don't see it with Bridgewater. I hope I'm wrong but he had the best offensive supporting cast in football in NO and wasn't that prodigious.

Edit. I'm am willing to upgrade it to ok depending on the third year option and if the Panthers manage to properly front load the contract. Still un-enthused.

Edited by Teen Girl Squad
  • Like 2

Per a Chicago radio host, Bears are still in on teddy and are offering the same amount as Carolina.  bridgewaters camp is hesitant because the Bears apparently want him to compete with Trubisky.  

This host, Dan McNeil, is claiming this is from “an unimpeachable source”.  So obviously, this isn’t very reliable.  But figured I’d put this out here.

you don’t give a guy $20m to compete with Trubisky.